Brian Boitano is co-producing a new figure skating film for Netflix | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano is co-producing a new figure skating film for Netflix

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just saw this interesting news. It's nice to see Brian involved in a film with a different take on skating. The film will explore synchronized skating from the perspective of lack of diversity in the sport:

Dawn825

Medalist
This is very intriguing. I do have to wonder, when they say they're casting other teen skaters - if the point is kind of to show how the main character is one of the only black girls in the sport, are they only going to cast white girls to skate around her, and then completely miss the opportunity to help diversity in the sport by giving multiple black skaters a platform and career opportunities. Like if they had gone with a story about a majority black synchro team experiencing racism in the broader field. I appreciate the intention of the film, will definitely watch it, but hope the cast has more diversity that this small synopsis infers.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Screenwriter Deborah Swisher is Black, as are producers Charles Randolph-Wright and Deborah Martin. I trust them to tell the story that they feel needs to be told.

This was Deborah Swisher's tweet about the news:

noskates

Record Breaker
Weathergal - thanks for the link. The emphasis is exactly where it should be!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I just saw this interesting news. It's nice to see Brian involved in a film with a different take on skating. The film will explore synchronized skating from the perspective of lack of diversity in the sport:

This seems like a refreshingly semi-realistic plot line, as opposed to the more frequently seen, "raw talent found roller skating in the park catches attention of 'Olympic' coach and after a few ups and downs takes Olympics by storm" sort of take. Looking forward to seeing a movie that highlights synchro!

Has Brian Boitano ever been involved in a skating movie before this one?

Weathergal

Medalist
This seems like a refreshingly semi-realistic plot line, as opposed to the more frequently seen, "raw talent found roller skating in the park catches attention of 'Olympic' coach and after a few ups and downs takes Olympics by storm" sort of take. Looking forward to seeing a movie that highlights synchro!

Has Brian Boitano ever been involved in a skating movie before this one?
He played a skating judge - along with Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming - in "Blades of Glory."

Scott Hamilton, Nancy Kerrigan, Tiffany Scott, Lisa-Marie Allen, and Sasha Cohen were also in the movie.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is as good a place as any to drop this. :biggrin:

One of the very few (OK, make that only) currently popular musical acts I know. Because they sound like they are straight out of the 70s.

The producers have *got* to get the rights to this tune:

And which current skater could do it justice?:)

cmk

Rinkside
This is as good a place as any to drop this. :biggrin:

One of the very few (OK, make that only) currently popular musical acts I know. Because they sound like they are straight out of the 70s.

The producers have *got* to get the rights to this tune:

And which current skater could do it justice?:)

Blade from Canada, Brown from the Us. I think Weir and Rippon could do it as well.

brightphoton

Medalist
He played a skating judge - along with Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming - in "Blades of Glory."

Scott Hamilton, Nancy Kerrigan, Tiffany Scott, Lisa-Marie Allen, and Sasha Cohen were also in the movie.
he and Michelle Kwan also played skating commentators in Disney's Ice Princess ⛸️

mmqm0

Rinkside
Judging from Netflix’s previous record involving skating, this doesn’t look too promising…

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Judging from Netflix’s previous record involving skating, this doesn’t look too promising…

Are you talking about Spinning Out? Do you think this show may be better due to the involvement of Brian Boitano, the fact that it is a movie, or given the emphasis of the show?

And welcome to Goldenskate!