Spin progress: milestones? | Golden Skate

Spin progress: milestones?

iceskating21

On the Ice
As we all know, moves had clear path that we can see from MIF tests. Jumps too, we started form single, then axel, then double, and etc. I'm more confused about spins. My understanding is two or one foot -> sit spin, camel spin -> sit variations, camel variations -> backwards, change direction -> flying spin ->?

Is there any milestones for different level? How is a spin judged, by revolutions and speed? When my daughter went through freestyle tests from PP to Int, yes I see that they have different spin requirements. But my generally impression is that most skaters can do more types of spins than the tests required. I am talking about types instead of quality. Then if some variations are never required in test or competition, what are they for?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As we all know, moves had clear path that we can see from MIF tests. Jumps too, we started form single, then axel, then double, and etc. I'm more confused about spins. My understanding is two or one foot -> sit spin, camel spin -> sit variations, camel variations -> backwards, change direction -> flying spin ->?

Is there any milestones for different level? How is a spin judged, by revolutions and speed? When my daughter went through freestyle tests from PP to Int, yes I see that they have different spin requirements. But my generally impression is that most skaters can do more types of spins than the tests required. I am talking about types instead of quality. Then if some variations are never required in test or competition, what are they for?
Have you asked her coach any of these questions?

Vicki7

On the Ice
I think you need to start a conversation with her coach. This, and a few of the other questions you’ve posted, are all things her coach should be talking to you about.

I’m nowhere near your daughter’s level and my coach has talked through what we’ll eventually be working towards with spins (having the 3 basic positions solid, working on some difficult entries, and what counts as a level feature, rotations needed with and without a change of foot).

iceskating21

On the Ice
I think you need to start a conversation with her coach. This, and a few of the other questions you’ve posted, are all things her coach should be talking to you about.

I’m nowhere near your daughter’s level and my coach has talked through what we’ll eventually be working towards with spins (having the 3 basic positions solid, working on some difficult entries, and what counts as a level feature, rotations needed with and without a change of foot).
I don't want to mention it. However I don't know why the coaches in the forum are so professional. My coach generally doesn't explain technique things to me. Most of our conversation is about scheduling. Maybe I am in a more recreational rink. I feel that most parents are treated like this.

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

The milestones are kind of relative I think, because it depends on what track your skater is on. There are different types of competitions and events, and the levels needed to place well, vary with each. You might discuss the goals of your skater and any upcoming competitions in which she may be interested. Then you can ask about the skills she will need for these.

M.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Change of direction is rare and considered difficult. Variations that count as "difficult variations" in competition are often learned later than the basic flying entries. Change of edge is also a feature to add difficulty for higher spin levels in competition.
There are requirements for each level, both for competitions and for tests. If the skater doesn't meet the minimum requirements for their test, they may be asked to reskate the spin(s) or may not pass the test. If they don't meet the minimum requirements for their competition level (especially in short programs, which begin with Intermediate), they will lose points for quality or may end up earning no points at all for that element.

The features that earn higher levels and thus higher base values in IJS competition go above and beyond the minimum requirements. What they're "for" is demonstrating extra difficulty and thereby earning more points in competition.

In IJS competition elements earn points both for base value and for grade of execution. It can be a strategic decision by the coach and skater when to add more difficulty at the risk of losing quality, or when to focus on improving the quality before adding more features -- and which features to add.

As long as the minimum requirements are met, how to maximize the points can be an individual decision dependent on each skater's strengths and weaknesses.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't want to mention it. However I don't know why the coaches in the forum are so professional. My coach generally doesn't explain technique things to me. Most of our conversation is about scheduling. Maybe I am in a more recreational rink. I feel that most parents are treated like this.
Most parents in your rink are treated like this, is that what you were saying? It has to be just your rink, because most coaches are professional like in this forum and skaters and parents know what requirements are and what training path or schedule they are on, what skills they will be working on at any given time while they progress.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is not normal.

TQB

Rinkside
I don't know how old your daughter is, but assuming she is younger, it's on you to advocate for her. As others have noted, this isn't OK. You are paying this coach. They work for you. Don't be a jerk, but it's perfectly reasonable to ask specific questions and politely and patiently insist on a satisfactory response. The coach will probably appreciate your level of interest and engagement!