2021 Skate America: Women's Recap | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Women's Recap

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I disagree with the term athletic for skaters who aren't ballerinas . Athletes are powerful with great body control and coordination,without being ballerinas. In this instance it would be more correct to call Higuchi athletic, and Kaori and Amber powerful.
My bad, I don't see major difference between "athletic" and "powerful". Ballerinas? Maybe. I like beautiful lines, delicacy, flexibility, emotions. You find this all in top ballerinas. We visited La Bayadere in Bolshoi the other day and the prima was exquisite. I saw it more in Kaori before. Well, I just read that she herself says that she needs to work on artistry. Good for her. And yes, I see more of this artistry in top Russian skaters. As for non Russians I started to appreciate Satoko's skating - it was the feast for my eyes how she skated in LV. I enjoyed Marin while it lasted, a bit less Rika. Karen could be another one if she did not skate "the same" program over years. Alysa has improved substantially. Isabeau is absolutely what I like in women's skating. Finally, Loena does not fail to surprise how she develops. Are they all ballerinas? Wakaba, Kaori (now), Amber - sorry, no.

Joekaz

On the Ice
My bad, I don't see major difference between "athletic" and "powerful". Ballerinas? Maybe. I like beautiful lines, delicacy, flexibility, emotions. You find this all in top ballerinas. We visited La Bayadere in Bolshoi the other day and the prima was exquisite. I saw it more in Kaori before. Well, I just read that she herself says that she needs to work on artistry. Good for her. And yes, I see more of this artistry in top Russian skaters. As for non Russians I started to appreciate Satoko's skating - it was the feast for my eyes how she skated in LV. I enjoyed Marin while it lasted, a bit less Rika. Karen could be another one if she did not skate "the same" program over years. Alysa has improved substantially. Isabeau is absolutely what I like in women's skating. Finally, Loena does not fail to surprise how she develops. Are they all ballerinas? Wakaba, Kaori (now), Amber - sorry, no.
My point was that Wakaba is powerful, but also has excellent body control and coordination, hence is athletic. Kaori and Amber are powerful, but somewhat awkward, which is not really the definition of athletic to me. Similar to the way Irena Slutskaya looked so awkward and unpolished compared to Michelle Kwan years ago.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My point was that Wakaba is powerful, but also has excellent body control and coordination, hence is athletic. Kaori and Amber are powerful, but somewhat awkward, which is not really the definition of athletic to me. Similar to the way Irena Slutskaya looked so awkward and unpolished compared to Michelle Kwan years ago.
Gosh I don’t see Amber as being awkward at all.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Gosh I don’t see Amber as being awkward at all.
I think this shows the problem of trying to classify skaters since everyone is going to be different and everything is subjective and relative to other top level skaters. That's why I didn't like Higuchi, Kaori, and Amber being classified together in the first place. I was primarily referring to Kaori with the awkward comment, but I was commenting on the 3 skaters he grouped together and Amber is certainly not as agile as Higuchi.