2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 190 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't help but wonder if, with all of the rink closures caused by the pandemic the world over, perhaps some of the injuries are from over training, while trying to play catch up in the Olympic season, after all of the training disruptions.
^^^ That could definitely be a factor.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Mariah Bell Leans on Experience as She Eyes Beijing​

By the way things are going with the US ladies, if Mariah puts in some more improvement, and in particular, works on getting her harder jump difficulty in, she can have a better shot at making the Olympics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't help but wonder if, with all of the rink closures caused by the pandemic the world over, perhaps some of the injuries are from over training, while trying to play catch up in the Olympic season, after all of the training disruptions.
I’ve been wondering this also.

SaDa

On the Ice
That said, as I always say, I'm not a fan of "Send them to Raf!" (why?)

I personally mentioned Raf because the thing Alysa wants to work on is her jumps, and that's supposed to be Raf's specialty. He teaches quads as well so if that's what she's aiming for, she would be in the right place. She would also be training there in California, much closer to home. As I also mentioned, Nathan is there and Alysa has stated on multiple occasions that he inspires and motivates her. And he's also very textbook in his jumps so maybe Alysa could pick up on a few things training alongside him.

With that said, Raf doesn't seem to be a realistic option so it's silly to be even talking about it 🙂

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That said, as I always say, I'm not a fan of "Send them to Raf!" (why?) "Send them to Brian" (why?). Have a good reason why *this* skater fits *this* coach. I hope all the US women find the coaching that suits them best.:pray:

Those are the two coaches that come to my mind when thinking of jumping. We’ve lost some good coaches (Frank Carroll and Mr John Nicks come to mind) and I’m not sure who is replacing them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Looks like the Russian lades are beating themselves. With injuries and the fight to get on the team is just incredible.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
Looks like the Russian lades are beating themselves. With injuries and the fight to get on the team is just incredible.

Even if 3 Russians would be out of the game there is 3 more that will come in and win.
I think that at this point of the season it is safe to say that American ladies are not defeating Russians.

I was hoping that maybe Alysa would have a shot at the podium and could take down the weakest Russian but there is too many ifs for this to happen.

Country
Israel
So who are the definite participants in nationals this year? Aren't they all listed already instead of having to calculate it again every time?

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
Those are the two coaches that come to my mind when thinking of jumping. We’ve lost some good coaches (Frank Carroll and Mr John Nicks come to mind) and I’m not sure who is replacing them.
Just in general this is concerning for US singles skating. We're about to be left with the coaches in Colorado and just about no one else. Raf had said at one point he wanted to coach coaches, I wonder what happened with that. The lack of top coaches in our (my?) country is arguably responsible for our lack of top skaters.

macy

Record Breaker
Just in general this is concerning for US singles skating. We're about to be left with the coaches in Colorado and just about no one else. Raf had said at one point he wanted to coach coaches, I wonder what happened with that. The lack of top coaches in our (my?) country is arguably responsible for our lack of top skaters.
i hope some of the recently retired elites will transition to coaching seriously full time. i know Gracie and Ashley have/are coaching part time (same with Adam) but their expertise and experience would be invaluable as a full time coach. personally i think Gracie would be a wonderful, wonderful coach after all the highs and lows she's experienced.

i also think Mirai would be great. maybe Bradie or Mariah will take that route when the time comes.

i know coaching is a big commitment, but with the dwindling number of high level coaches in the US i can only hope a couple of them open up to it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has to be discouraging to the current group of US coaches that there's no chance of World medals anytime in the future due to the Russian hegemony. No US coaches know how to train subteens to land quads. And parents of US skaters won't want to pay big bucks to have their young children painfully stretched to develop ultra-flexibility, or have their young teens encouraged to limit food intake and exercise intensively to delay physical maturity.

Country
Norway
Discouraging yes, but in the long term the US kids will probably be healthier and more adjusted that those poor Russian girls.

If Gracie is going to Nationals, I am happy for her. I want her to do well, of course, but I will be proud of her no matter where she places.
Gracie is going to Nationals, she just stated it on her Instagram today :) Yep, getting there is a big achievement in itself. I would think if she skates better and place higher then the current 2 years and possible get herself entries at one GP and at least one Challenger event next season it will be another great achievement!