2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah but if he's trying to make a case of the Olympic team over Jason, showing spins isn't gonna cut it.

I think if he's trying to get attention by showing his quads, why not? His 3Z+4L is amazing.. and if he's the first to do a certain combo in competition that's great!

And if Ilia or any skater actually did a 5T in practice or otherwise that WOULD be more impressive than a new donut spin, but YMMV.

I wasn’t really thinking he needs to show us a donut spin. 😂

Mostly I was thinking how much time and effort it must have taken him to be able to execute that combo and some of the other stuff he’s shown us.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I certainly don't blame Ilia for showing us his practice vids. He does want to make a name for himself, he does want the attention and cool:cool: hey, that's his brand. I personally am more interested in spins, but I know I'm odd. ;)

But the 5T whatever combo in practice? That does not make me do a Crazy Eddie imitation, substituting jumps for prices (and that may be too obscure a reference, but so be it:biggrin:)

I will go insane when he does whatever he is doing in a comp. And that's not just Ilia, that's anyone. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wasn’t really thinking he needs to show us a donut spin. 😂

Mostly I was thinking how much time and effort it must have taken him to be able to execute that combo and some of the other stuff he’s shown us.

If you want to make a name, you have to bust out the quads. Nice spins and artistry can distinguish you like Brown but it's a slow burn and you can't guarantee the judges will give you the points you deserve or that reflect artistic development. Whereas if you land quads there is no choice but for you to be given points that can help you win. But man, he is exciting to see on Insta -- after Chen and Zhou, Malinin looks like a great successor but hopefully he is able to keep it up and doesn't fizzle/grow a la Gogolev.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I certainly don't blame Ilia for showing us his practice vids. He does want to make a name for himself, he does want the attention and cool:cool: hey, that's his brand. I personally am more interested in spins, but I know I'm odd. ;)

But the 5T whatever combo in practice? That does not make me do a Crazy Eddie imitation, substituting jumps for prices (and that may be too obscure a reference, but so be it:biggrin:)

I will go insane when he does whatever he is doing in a comp. And that's not just Ilia, that's anyone. :)
Skating needs all the fans it can get. I would imagine that some of the people who follow Ilia have never heard of Goldenskate. The more fans, the better it is for skating.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If you want to make a name, you have to bust out the quads. Nice spins and artistry can distinguish you like Brown but it's a slow burn and you can't guarantee the judges will give you the points you deserve or that reflect artistic development. Whereas if you land quads there is no choice but for you to be given points that can help you win. But man, he is exciting to see on Insta -- after Chen and Zhou, Malinin looks like a great successor but hopefully he is able to keep it up and doesn't fizzle/grow a la Gogolev.

I can see why he’s doing it and I agree he’s super talented. I guess we’ll know after Nats if his quads are exciting enough to convince USFS to send him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I haven't given up just yet on Gogolev. Noteworthy: Malinin just celebrated his 17th birthday, so he's probably weathered the worst of the physical changes. He hardly resembles the version of himself from two years ago.

He'll continue to grow and develop physically for a while, but that should be more gradual. Fingers crossed.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating needs all the fans it can get. I would imagine that some of the people who follow Ilia have never heard of Goldenskate. The more fans, the better it is for skating.

Absolutely and I have no problem with a skater using social media in whatever way and whatever form the skater sees fit.(y)

I'm just saying there were plenty of videos of Jason landing rotated, one footed quads in practice over the past seven years. I don't go "Crazy Eddie" until I see it in a comp. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Absolutely and I have no problem with a skater using social media in whatever way and whatever form the skater sees fit.(y)

I'm just saying there were plenty of videos of Jason landing rotated, one footed quads in practice over the past seven years. I don't go "Crazy Eddie" until I see it in a comp. ;)
This is something I completely agree with.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(y) Jason and Ilia are at completely different stages of their lives and careers.
Jason has 158k followers on Instagram, which is a completely different order of magnitude from quadg0d's ~6600 followers.
Jason's post from today about GPF news already has ~6800 likes.

I don't try to keep up with Ilia's multiple Instagram accounts -- but he does/did(?) have a separate one devoted to off-ice stuff; yet another one devoted to gaming; and perhaps even others devoted to I don't know what.

As for his skating account, I get the sense that young Ilia likes to show his real-life social circle what he is working on/attempting. From my very sporadic/casual/non-scientific scanning of comments on his quadg0d posts, a lot of them appear to be reactions (sometimes teasing) from friends whom Ilia knows. And he often replies back (sometimes also with teasing).
IOW, I think Ilia's social media still is very much about being "social"/sociable with peers.
(At the same time that he is a smart kid who would be aware that skating journalists/bloggers/fans have started following him too.)

Meanwhile, I would say that Jason's social media is far more about offering a connection to his large fanbase -- with journalists/bloggers looking on. And far less about interacting with peers.
Andrew Austin posts about once every 2 months. 🥲🥲🥲🥲

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't try to keep up with Ilia's multiple Instagram accounts -- but he does/did(?) have a separate one devoted to off-ice stuff; yet another one devoted to gaming; and perhaps even others devoted to I don't know what.

As for his skating account, I get the sense that young Ilia likes to show his real-life social circle what he is working on/attempting. From my very sporadic/casual/non-scientific scanning of comments on his quadg0d posts, a lot of them appear to be reactions (sometimes teasing) from friends whom Ilia knows. And he often replies back (sometimes also with teasing).
IOW, I think Ilia's social media still is very much about being "social"/sociable with peers.
(At the same time that he is a smart kid who would be aware that skating journalists/bloggers/fans have started following him too.)

I didn't know Ilia had another account, that makes more sense now. That would be probably be a good thing for all our young skaters: skating accounts for those who are interested, and personal accounts for their friends and family.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't know Ilia had another account, that makes more sense now. That would be probably be a good thing for all our young skaters: skating accounts for those who are interested, and personal accounts for their friends and family.
That does make sense, especially for young athletes.

It also works for me, because I have no interest in their personal lives or non-ice activities.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Oh, yeah.

I never doubted/doubt Jason's ability to land quads in competition. Same as I don't doubt Ilia's ability to do his crazy combos in competition (or at least as long as there's no growth spurt left in him that could spoil that), but when it comes to competition things can get Slow. Jason is so admirable for not giving up on the big jump even if he's approaching his late 20s. Him and his team must be aware of his very high scoring potential without it, especially without the injuries that come with training it. But there he is taking it one attempt at a time.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
:rolleye: It's almost like people can work on more than one thing at once and still have some fun along the way.
Sorry, I'm just traumatized from all the injuries this season. I really don't want to see him hurt when he's making so much progress internationally.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is Dinh Tran no longer training with Todd Eldredge? There was a different person with Tran in the Kiss 'n Cry in Spokane.

I suppose Andrew Torgashev is working on trying to be ready to compete again next season? Has anyone heardo anything officially about Torgashev's time frame for a competitive return?

Here's the Wiki listing of 2022 U.S. figure skating championships competitors, now that qualifying competitions have concluded. Perhaps this was already discussed as U.S. figure skating posted the competitor entries on November 29.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: I was just watching some old skating videos ( Big Surprise ) it got me thinking. If Keegan had stayed in the US do you think Jason, as our # 3 skater, would still make the Olympic Team. IMO, Keegan is the clear #1 skater in Canada and he did beat Jason at Worlds by 1 spot. I know this will never happen but, hypothetically, what do you think?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:ot: I was just watching some old skating videos ( Big Surprise ) it got me thinking. If Keegan had stayed in the US do you think Jason, as our # 3 skater, would still make the Olympic Team. IMO, Keegan is the clear #1 skater in Canada and he did beat Jason at Worlds by 1 spot. I know this will never happen but, hypothetically, what do you think?

In their last two head to head skates in the Grand Prix this year, Jason finished ahead of Keegan.

It points out exactly why Keegan was so smart to skate for Canada; why fight for number three in the US, when you can be the clear number one in Canada?

But of course it is impossible to say:shrug:

mrrice

Record Breaker
In their last two head to head skates in the Grand Prix this year, Jason finished ahead of Keegan.

It points out exactly why Keegan was so smart to skate for Canada; why fight for number three in the US, when you can be the clear number one in Canada?

But of course it is impossible to say:shrug:
I agree.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Two different countries, too many different situations and varying factors are involved to say that because Keegan climbed the ladder in Canada, that he would have been able to do the same in the U.S. The U.S. men's field is so deep that many talented men end up retiring because their upward trajectory is thwarted by lack of opportunities, injuries, logistical and family concerns, financial concerns, etc.

It is precisely because Keegan saw more opportunity to reach the top in Canada, that he switched countries (also because he had the option to switch, while many athletes don't). Keegan's home state of Alaska is geographically closer and somewhat more similar to regions of Canada than the U.S. It was surely not a difficult switch culturally for Keegan, so it turned out to be a smart decision. Still, he had to 'pay his dues,' and somewhat wait his turn competitively before he was fully accepted as a proud, fellow Canuck!

It's very hard to say that Keegan would have been able to rival Jason in the U.S. Probably not. Plus with the advent of Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou and their multiple quads, Keegan would likely never have gained position for an opportunity to win. He's had several opportunities to win a national championship in Canada. I for one, hope heartily that Keegan can finally win a Canadian national championship next year on his likely return to the Olympics, prior to retiring.

While Keegan surely would have pushed other guys in the U.S., including Adam Rippon, Ross Miner, Max Aaron, et al., before their retirements, as I said, the U.S. has been knee-deep in men's talent for awhile. As an athlete, when you see the path blocked so heavily like that, it's surely quite difficult to stay motivated and able to notch training goals, much less competitive results goals.

Last edited: