2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Dinh Tran no longer training with Todd Eldredge? There was a different person with Tran in the Kiss 'n Cry in Spokane.

I suppose Andrew Torgashev is working on trying to be ready to compete again next season? Has anyone heardo anything officially about Torgashev's time frame for a competitive return?

Here's the Wiki listing of 2022 U.S. figure skating championships competitors, now that qualifying competitions have concluded. Perhaps this was already discussed as U.S. figure skating posted the competitor entries on November 29.

Huh? Andrew is coming back?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Huh? Andrew is coming back?
Andrew never retired AFAIK. Last I heard, he was still training with Raf in Californinia. Isn't he still there? As Raf has always said, it takes time for him to work with skaters interested in solidifying and improving their technique when they come to him.

It looks like Canadian skater, Stephen Gogolev, is no longer training with Raf, as it was a Canadian coach with Stephen in the kiss 'n cry and Skate Canada Challenge recently, in the lead up to Cdn nationals.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It looks like Canadian skater, Stephen Gogolev, is no longer training with Raf, as it was a Canadian coach with Stephen in the kiss 'n cry and Skate Canada Challenge recently, in the lead up to Cdn nationals.
Raf is still Stephen's head coach and I heard he was training in California up until CS Warsaw. Lee Barkell is Stephen's secondary coach and works with him in Canada in addition to traveling with him to competitions. (Lee had another student, Gabby Daleman, who was entered in Warsaw as well.) It's possible Stephen will stay in Canada up until Nationals before returning to California.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Raf is still Stephen's head coach and I heard he was training in California up until CS Warsaw. Lee Barkell is Stephen's secondary coach and works with him in Canada in addition to traveling with him to competitions. Lee had another student, Gabby Daleman, who was entered in Warsaw as well.
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering whether Stephen was employing tag-team coaching. Raf, of course, has a team of coaches he works with in Cali too, and those coaches often travel with his individual skaters to international comps.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew never retired AFAIK. Last I heard, he was still training with Raf in Californinia. Isn't he still there? As Raf has always said, it takes time for him to work with skaters interested in solidifying and improving their technique when they come to him.

Sorry. It was Alexei who retired. Not Andrew.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew had a hint in an IG story about a week ago, that he was injured? Vagueposting on a story with a fall that was not recent. Boy drives his fans crazy;)

I am happy to see him on the ice, but conducting group edge classes for a whole passel of younger skaters, as adorable as it is, is not what I want most to see. Sadly, what I want to see will not happen until the next competition season. 😢 (ETA: And I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the clip, thank you for posting @sheetz. I'm just frustrated :) )

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is Emanuel Savary still skating? For some reason, I thought he was a Junior but, his Bio says he's 23. Does anyone know if he plans to compete this season?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Emanuel Savary still skating? For some reason, I thought he was a Junior but, his Bio says he's 23. Does anyone know if he plans to compete this season?

He skated in the "US Championship" qualifying series. I know he skated in Alpharetta and I believe he skated in another comp. I don't remember if he qualified for Nats.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good luck to Jimmy Ma 👏 and Eric Sjoberg 👏 at Golden Spin this week: SP on Thursday + FS on Saturday.

So the hotel and practice rink are in Zagreb ... and the competition rink is an hour+ away?
A little more wear-and-tear than at some events.

He skated in the "US Championship" qualifying series. I know he skated in Alpharetta and I believe he skated in another comp. I don't remember if he qualified for Nats.

Emmanuel Savary has competed in Senior Men at Nats at least as far back as 2016.

He competed in Championship Series first in Leesburg and then in Alpharetta.
He did not not qualify for 2022 Nats. 😭
IIRC, he also competed in a couple of small events early in the season?

... (Jason has changed agents recently, so that may be responsible for his daily posting. He hasn't said. ;) ) ...

IMO: I think it would matter very much to Jason's agents that it is an an Olympic season for him -- as they presumably work on ramping up his visibility in multiple ways (including, but not limited to, social media).

Jason's agents also have some clients who are athletes in Summer Olympic sports, as well as some who are retired athletes.
My rhetorical question would be: In the months leading up to Beijing 2022, are these other types of clients also vastly increasing their social media activity as Jason has?
I don't know the answer, and I don't really expect you to know.
I also don't care enough to make an effort to seriously look into the question -- but my strong suspicion is that the answer is No. :)

What I am trying to say is that I still believe that the Olympic season ultimately is the fundamental reason for Jason's major increase in social media activity of late -- at the same time that it is true that he made a switch to new agents.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I always enjoy hearing Kurt's commentary of Nathan's performances, ever since Junior Worlds 2015. I don't like thinking about Nathan retiring after the Beijing Olympics, but figure skating is such an all-consuming, taxing, and difficult sport. I'm soaking up re-watching Nathan's performances, as we will not see anyone quite like Nathan again any time soon, if ever (the same goes for Jason Brown):

"I think four revolutions feels to Nathan like what triples do for everyone else." Kurt Browning
Regarding Nathan's step sequence:
"... total control and ownership. No one else moves like this." Kurt Browning

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As for Andrew he is still training with Raf. In this video you can see him (along with Mariah) leading group skating skills class for some of the younger skaters.

Andrew had a hint in an IG story about a week ago, that he was injured? Vagueposting on a story with a fall that was not recent. Boy drives his fans crazy;)

I am happy to see him on the ice, but conducting group edge classes for a whole passel of younger skaters, as adorable as it is, is not what I want most to see. Sadly, what I want to see will not happen until the next competition season. 😢 (ETA: And I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the clip, thank you for posting @sheetz. I'm just frustrated :) )

FWIW: I think the OIP footage of Team Raf must be several months old (although the Insta post is new).
In the video pkg, Mariah's hair still was very long -- whereas she had cut many inches off by August.

I too appreciate seeing the video. But also am wondering how Torgashev is doing at this point. :unsure:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

😭 Maxim Naumov now is marked as a withdrawal from 2022 Nats, per updated USFS official entry list (at the same link as before).

The official list was updated today, Dec 9. (AFAIK, it is the first time that the original Nov 29 list has been updated.)

Per USFS rulebook (Rule 2521), "For the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, there are no alternates for the championship (senior events)" -- so I do not expect Naumov to be replaced.

(In case it comes up later: Junior events at Nats do have alternates.)

Last edited:

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
😭 Maxim Naumov now is marked as a withdrawal from 2022 Nats, per updated USFS official entry list (at the same link as before).

The official list was updated today, Dec 9. (AFAIK, it is the first time that the original Nov 29 list has been updated.)

Per USFS rulebook (Rule 2521), "For the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, there are no alternates for the championship (senior events)" -- so I do not expect Naumov to be replaced.

(In case it comes up later: Junior events at Nats do have alternates.)
Does anyone know why Maxim Naumov withdrew? I really had high hopes for this season. Hope he is ok

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
I always enjoy hearing Kurt's commentary of Nathan's performances, ever since Junior Worlds 2015. I don't like thinking about Nathan retiring after the Beijing Olympics, but figure skating is such an all-consuming, taxing, and difficult sport. I'm soaking up re-watching Nathan's performances, as we will not see anyone quite like Nathan again any time soon, if ever (the same goes for Jason Brown):

"I think four revolutions feels to Nathan like what triples do for everyone else." Kurt Browning
Regarding Nathan's step sequence:
"... total control and ownership. No one else moves like this." Kurt Browning

I agree! I love Kurt Browning's commentary. And that quote " I think four revolutions feels to Nathan like what triples do for everyone else" was spot on correct!!! Hearing him comment Nathan, you can almost detect the awe he has about Nathan.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy had 2 Senior B silvers before winning GS bronze. Because GS challenge bronze is worth more points than Senior B silver, he did get an additional 18 points on World Standings.

USA did great at this event: 2 gold (Pairs, Dance), 1 silver (Women) and 1 bronze (Men).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jimmy Ma! Bronze at GS! I believe that is his 3rd International medal this season.
I just saw that as well. Defeating Keegan and Deniss in the Free Program is a big deal. Congratulations Jimmy!!!
If there's one thing I could change about Jimmy, it's that costume. He's such a good skater but, that costume does nothing for his body line.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy had 2 Senior B silvers before winning GS bronze. Because GS challenge bronze is worth more points than Senior B silver, he did get an additional 18 points on World Standings.

USA did great at this event: 2 gold (Pairs, Dance), 1 silver (Women) and 1 bronze (Men).
Should that be enough to get him GP assignments or no?

I wonder what was in his present. He looked happy with it.