Looking for advice on boots/blades | Golden Skate

Looking for advice on boots/blades

vava

Spectator
Hi all,
I have been lurking here for a while and I am just generally looking for advice on boots/blades since I haven't had a great experience at my local pro shop and I would like to make an informed decision on my next skates. Please bear with me because I really don't quite know what I'm doing yet and I kinda rambled a bit below.

I am a 26 yo woman (5'4" and about 130-135 lbs) and have started skating about 2 months ago. I am taking classes at my local rink and my coach seems to think I will test to Adult 5 at the next testing day, which is in about a week. Now, I am skating with a pair of Jackson Excels that I am having all kinds of issues with - from what I read on this forum the person that fitted me didn't take any kind of measurements nor took into account my weight and size and as a result I have skates that don't fit properly and are already creasing, with barely 2 months of use (I skate 5 to 8 hrs per week, but usually on the lower end as life gets in the way). For clarity I definitely feel like they are probably at least one size too large, but I also feel like they don't hug my ankle well (I struggle to get a good ankle bend because to keep my heel in place I have to overtighten them quite a bit) and there's too much space on top of my foot with makes it hard to stay on my rocker - I am not sure whether these issues are only size related or if my foot just doesn't fit Jacksons. For reference I have fairly narrow and slim feet but my street shoe size is a women's 8.5.

Now, when I bought these skates I was told they would really only last me through adult 6 which I entirely did not expect would be coming up so soon. So I am kinda looking for advice on whether I should try to stick with these skates til I get to pre-freeskate or just bite the bullet and get a pair of intermediate boots sooner. Either way I would also like some recommendations on what to get. I am not sure what the right stiffness for me would be under these circumstances, and also considering that I think the most I will ever do is doubles. Right now I am considering Edea Overture or Chorus - would I overbooting too much with either of these? I would love to get a fair use out of these skates especially considering I seems to be advancing quickly. Also I know that Edeas might not fit me, and I am planning on trying as many brands as I can - I just wanted to give an example of what kinda stiffness I am considering. Any advice??

Also if anyone knows a good fitter in the Houston/Austin/Dallas area (or anywhere in Italy) I am desperate and all ears.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,
I have been lurking here for a while and I am just generally looking for advice on boots/blades since I haven't had a great experience at my local pro shop and I would like to make an informed decision on my next skates. Please bear with me because I really don't quite know what I'm doing yet and I kinda rambled a bit below.

I am a 26 yo woman (5'4" and about 130-135 lbs) and have started skating about 2 months ago. I am taking classes at my local rink and my coach seems to think I will test to Adult 5 at the next testing day, which is in about a week. Now, I am skating with a pair of Jackson Excels that I am having all kinds of issues with - from what I read on this forum the person that fitted me didn't take any kind of measurements nor took into account my weight and size and as a result I have skates that don't fit properly and are already creasing, with barely 2 months of use (I skate 5 to 8 hrs per week, but usually on the lower end as life gets in the way). For clarity I definitely feel like they are probably at least one size too large, but I also feel like they don't hug my ankle well (I struggle to get a good ankle bend because to keep my heel in place I have to overtighten them quite a bit) and there's too much space on top of my foot with makes it hard to stay on my rocker - I am not sure whether these issues are only size related or if my foot just doesn't fit Jacksons. For reference I have fairly narrow and slim feet but my street shoe size is a women's 8.5.

Now, when I bought these skates I was told they would really only last me through adult 6 which I entirely did not expect would be coming up so soon. So I am kinda looking for advice on whether I should try to stick with these skates til I get to pre-freeskate or just bite the bullet and get a pair of intermediate boots sooner. Either way I would also like some recommendations on what to get. I am not sure what the right stiffness for me would be under these circumstances, and also considering that I think the most I will ever do is doubles. Right now I am considering Edea Overture or Chorus - would I overbooting too much with either of these? I would love to get a fair use out of these skates especially considering I seems to be advancing quickly. Also I know that Edeas might not fit me, and I am planning on trying as many brands as I can - I just wanted to give an example of what kinda stiffness I am considering. Any advice??

Also if anyone knows a good fitter in the Houston/Austin/Dallas area (or anywhere in Italy) I am desperate and all ears.
Hello and welcome!

If you have a slim/narrow foot, you should not be in Jackson. The best brands for you would be Riedell, Graf, or Edea. But it appears from your post that you like a more tight fit and stiffer in the lacing so Edea would be out since their boots are made different in the ankle. So Riedell or Graf. Harlick also works with your type of foot but I can't remember if they're only doing made to order/customs. @Sibelius would be the one to ask about Harlick.

If you want suggestions for Graf or Riedell I can definitely give those, just ask. Also, the stock blade that came on the boots you have now are junk and you should look at getting a nice intermediate blade to match your new boots. Either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace/Ace Lite.

Good luck.

vava

Spectator
Hello and welcome!

If you have a slim/narrow foot, you should not be in Jackson. The best brands for you would be Riedell, Graf, or Edea. But it appears from your post that you like a more tight fit and stiffer in the lacing so Edea would be out since their boots are made different in the ankle. So Riedell or Graf. Harlick also works with your type of foot but I can't remember if they're only doing made to order/customs. @Sibelius would be the one to ask about Harlick.

If you want suggestions for Graf or Riedell I can definitely give those, just ask. Also, the stock blade that came on the boots you have now are junk and you should look at getting a nice intermediate blade to match your new boots. Either MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace/Ace Lite.

Good luck.
Hi IceRabbit, thank you for the advice. I was hoping you'd reply as you seem to be the person to ask these things to around here ahah

I would love to hear what boot you'd recommend on all 3 of those brands, as I feel like I don't quite know what I need nor what would be right for me and I am not sure I will find a reliable advice when getting fitted in my area(s). The reason I was considering Edea Chorus was that in Italy (where I'm from) they retail at about the same price as the Overture retails in the States, so if it fits and I am not outrageously overbooted it might be a good investment. The problem is that I don't really know how to make that judgement. I know my pro shop in the States sells Riedell, but I don't know if I want to buy another boot from them without any outside advice.

As far as the blades, the consensus around here seem to be the Coronation Ace is a great intermediate blade so that's what I was gonna go for.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi IceRabbit, thank you for the advice. I was hoping you'd reply as you seem to be the person to ask these things to around here ahah

I would love to hear what boot you'd recommend on all 3 of those brands, as I feel like I don't quite know what I need nor what would be right for me and I am not sure I will find a reliable advice when getting fitted in my area(s). The reason I was considering Edea Chorus was that in Italy (where I'm from) they retail at about the same price as the Overture retails in the States, so if it fits and I am not outrageously overbooted it might be a good investment. The problem is that I don't really know how to make that judgement. I know my pro shop in the States sells Riedell, but I don't know if I want to buy another boot from them without any outside advice.

As far as the blades, the consensus around here seem to be the Coronation Ace is a great intermediate blade so that's what I was gonna go for.
I'm going to send you a DM.