2022 CS U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Info and Pre-game Chat | Golden Skate

2022 CS U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Info and Pre-game Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic is the first in a series of 10 events of the 2022-23 Figure Skating Challenger Series and is scheduled to take place in Lake Placid, New York, September 12-15, 2022, at the Olympic Center. The event will feature all four figure skating disciplines (Men, Women, Pairs, and Ice Dance).

If the requirements specified in the above-mentioned documents are fulfilled, the event will count towards ISU World Standing Points, Minimum Total Technical Score, Challenger Series in Figure Skating Ranking and Prize Money.

The Challenger Series is an International Figure Skating Series, introduced during the 2014-15 season. Through ISU support, the objective is to ensure the proper and consistent organization and conduct of up to 10 International Competitions linked together within the Challenger Series. The Series gives adequate opportunities for many skaters to compete at the international senior level and earn World Standing Points. The Series also increases the opportunity for Officials to officiate at an international level.

To be considered for the Challenger Series, the competition must have at least three disciplines (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of 10 different ISU Members in all disciplines combined.

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
That men’s entry list is great, especially the international men: Kévin! Daniel G! Donovan!
and Arlet Levandi, a nice surprise:hap10:

(Yes, I know some Americans and Canadians are skating too ;))
Yes, and it will be fun to see Camden debut his new programs and give us a glimpse of his progress. I also enjoy Arlet, and Jimmy Ma. I don’t mean to throw shade on any of the excellent men slated to compete.

But Kevin! I never thought I’d have the opportunity to see him live. And I’ve read that his new FP is based on the Iliad.

Kevin and the Iliad. This is going to be epic, in every sense of the word!! We might even be able to tempt El Henry and her favorite classics-scholar to make the trek to Lake Placid.

Lili1122

Rinkside
Am excited for the men's field and to see skaters like Young You, Yelim Kim who might not compete in North America too often. The dance field- there are 7 teams from IAM out of 13 - I know Montreal is close, but that's a lot. Excited to see Fear/Gibson live. 7 teams from this dance field also competed in the Lake Placid competitions in July, which seems like a lot of repeats -

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I can't find ticketing? I'm thinking of going as well, not too far away from me.
I don’t think they are on sale yet.

Here is the site, though, and it has ticket prices.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, and it will be fun to see Camden debut his new programs and give us a glimpse of his progress. I also enjoy Arlet, and Jimmy Ma. I don’t mean to throw shade on any of the excellent men slated to compete.

But Kevin! I never thought I’d have the opportunity to see him live. And I’ve read that his new FP is based on the Iliad.

Kevin and the Iliad. This is going to be epic, in every sense of the word!! We might even be able to tempt El Henry and her favorite classics-scholar to make the trek to Lake Placid.

If I had a Star Trek transporter, I, and maybe even the classics scholar, would be there with bells on. :biggrin:

Kévin's program does sound epic. According to his IG, he is basing the program on a book, The Song of Achilles, that "touched him enormously". He does not say this outright, but this novel posits that Patroclus and Achilles were lovers.

Favorite Classics Scholar says this theory about Patroclus and Achilles is one of many even in the academic classics world, it is within the realm of possibility, but we have no evidence for it one way or the other.

In any event, given Kévin's enthusiasm for the topic, if he skates this clean, I will be emotional. :drama:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really USFS? Jill Heimer that Gracie beat by dozens of points at Philly? (No shade on Jill, I especially enjoyed her short, hopefully yall will like it too). NOT EVEN AN ALTERNATE?

I also like Sonja Hillmer, but honestly? The men's list is much better - Donovan, Jimmy, Kevin, my new boyfriend Mark, Camden.... @Seven Sisters don't forget the Mexican flag.

Maybe next year they'll pick somewhere less hard for people to get to who don't live in New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Massachusetts.

I hope there is some sort of stream somewhere.

*grumps on off into the corner*

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this lineup. Kevin and Arlet. Megan Wessenberg in pairs, Yelim and Alessia. I wish this was the lineup for Skate America. I really want to go. I think this could be one of my favorite lineups in all 4 disciplines.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Really USFS? Jill Heimer that Gracie beat by dozens of points at Philly? (No shade on Jill, I especially enjoyed her short, hopefully yall will like it too). NOT EVEN AN ALTERNATE?

I also like Sonja Hillmer, but honestly? The men's list is much better - Donovan, Jimmy, Kevin, my new boyfriend Mark, Camden.... @Seven Sisters don't forget the Mexican flag.

Maybe next year they'll pick somewhere less hard for people to get to who don't live in New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Massachusetts.

I hope there is some sort of stream somewhere.

*grumps on off into the corner*
I am also surprised that @moonvine’s spirit animal, Ms Gracie Gold, is not entered here. If she is serious about trying to contend for that Skate America TBA spot, I would have expected her/her team to make a strong case for being sent here.

I am also surprised (and disappointed) that Green & Parsons are not entered here. The dance field is disappointingly thin. But hey, you take what you can get. The men’s event should be spectacular!

katymay

Medalist
I don’t think they are on sale yet.

Here is the site, though, and it has ticket prices.

Well that is very reasonable. Now to find a reasonable hotel. (more difficult task I'm afraid. lol)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am also surprised that @moonvine’s spirit animal, Ms Gracie Gold, is not entered here. If she is serious about trying to contend for that Skate America TBA spot, I would have expected her/her team to make a strong case for being sent here.

I am also surprised (and disappointed) that Green & Parsons are not entered here. The dance field is disappointingly thin. But hey, you take what you can get. The men’s event should be spectacular!
There are other Senior B's. But Jill Heimer, really....Gracie not even a substitute...

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
There are other Senior B's. But Jill Heimer, really....Gracie not even a substitute...
I thought the exact same thing! But, maybe (hopefully) she’s going to go to another Senior B so didn’t need this one? I thought putting her here to compete against Sonja would be something that USFS wanted to do. Hopefully Gracie didn’t turn it down, though I doubt she did. It seems to me that if you are going to go another year at 27 you want to go as far as possible.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
And once again Canada does not have a lady entered. They have entries in Men, Dance and Pairs but none in ladies. Yet when you think about it the last Can World Champ was a lady. And it was also in ladies that Can was able to have two on the same podium.

katymay

Medalist
Just to get there, for anyone outside NJ/PA/NY/MA is a monumental task.
Very true. I went a few years ago for an event and swore I would never make the drive again. NOT a fun drive. I'm only 3 hours away as the crow flies...but there is no 'as the crow flies' for lake Placid.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very true. I went a few years ago for an event and swore I would never make the drive again. NOT a fun drive. I'm only 3 hours away as the crow flies...but there is no 'as the crow flies' for lake Placid.
Yes, I would have to take a train to New York, I believe, and somehow get to Lake Placid...there's a train station nearby but Amtrak doesn't service it. I have a friend who used to be an adult skater and she says every 3-4 years her feed fills up with adult skaters trying to get there for their championships. Anyway I spent all my money and more going to Philly so I will have to hope that next year it will be somewhere easier for me to get to. Chicago would be GREAT...or even Detroit..