Holiday Prep and celebrations | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Holiday Prep and celebrations

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there anyone on the forum who celebrates Diwali?

happy-diwali-greeting-card-with-burning-oil-lamp-festival-background-min.jpg

It was just announced that Nathan Chen will perform at the Detroit tree-lighting festival nesy week, coinciding with the outdoor skating season downtown. Miraai has done this a couple of times, and Meryl Davis maintains involvement, I believe.

Something for everyone. For people not into figure skating, thetre will also be a performance by Tik-Tok rapper Paul Russell ("Lil Boo Thang"). I looked him up. He is a graduate of Cornell and his label is "Kings Dream," billed as "Gospel Rap" label )

Nathan was great. He did one triple jump, two backflips and a nice stratch spin.. Gorgeous basic skating, very antertaining choeorgraphy ("It's the most wonderful time of the year"). He looked totally at ease with himself and the sudience. I hope he keeps doing these gigs for years and years.

There was also a a performance by a local ex-skater, now coach and choreographer, which was top notch, and a troup of youngsters all decked out in Christmas tree geen sparkles.

Nathan's second performance ("Vienna waits for you") was chacked at the beginning for commercials. The part that was televised was mostly a showcase of spins, combination spin, sit spin, etc.

I love this sport!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For everyone who celebrates!

depositphotos_215809684-stock-photo-thanksgiving-celebration-traditional-dinner-setting.jpg

Will be going over to my parents' home at 1:00, and we'll be having our Thanksgiving meal. Mom is doing a combination of the traditional, and Italian foods.

Mom had asked me to bring a dessert. I'm brining a chocolate roll. I wanted to bring a pumpkin one, but everywhere I looked, they didn't sell them.

rollcake4.jpg

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For everyone who celebrates!

depositphotos_215809684-stock-photo-thanksgiving-celebration-traditional-dinner-setting.jpg

Will be going over to my parents' home at 1:00, and we'll be having our Thanksgiving meal. Mom is doing a combination of the traditional, and Italian foods.

Mom had asked me to bring a dessert. I'm brining a chocolate roll. I wanted to bring a pumpkin one, but everywhere I looked, they didn't sell them.

rollcake4.jpg
That looks so good! I love the red velvet ones! Usually close to Thanksgiving the pumpkin ones sell out quickly, so there's a chance they were just sold out possibly?

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That looks so good! I love the red velvet ones! Usually close to Thanksgiving the pumpkin ones sell out quickly, so there's a chance they were just sold out possibly?

It's possible that they were sold out, but I didn't want to get one earlier, and not have it be fresh.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, now that Thanksgiving has passed, I've started my Christmas decorating.

I put the lights up in my windows, my end table, coffee table, and kitchen counter done, the Rudolph plush collection is out, and the tree is up and lit, with a handful of ornmanets on it. The rest (and the tinsel, if I decide to put it on) will go on tomorrow.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I've had my tree up for more than a week, because I pay our handyman to assemble it and that was when he could fit the job in. (I tried putting it together myself one Christmas and it fell apart with a crash in the middle of the night and scared the wits out of the cat. 🙀) Strata by-laws don't allow us to put up door wreaths or window lights until Dec 1, so that has to wait, but until Nov 30th, St Andrew's Day, the Scottish dolls, kilt-wearing teddies, and stuffed Loch Ness monsters wearing jaunty tartan scarves and tams 🦕are front and centre on bookcase tops and end-tables.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have 4 windows that face the street. in each I put a single LED-lit white candle. Today hung up my new door decoration large candy cane. Bought it at a craft fair a few weeks ago. I am participating in the GS Christmas card exchange and will hang the cards I receive around my fireplace. No tree for me. :cry:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, silly topic, has any other family had "battles" over lights?

:laugh2::laugh2:

Who wants big lights, small lights, multi-color or white, steady burning or flashing.....lol

Since moving into my own place, I have the lights I prefer, what I call "twinkle lights". They are the small bulbs, multi-color, and most of them are steady burning, but every few bulbs is one that blinks on and off..

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Ok, silly topic, has any other family had "battles" over lights?

:laugh2::laugh2:

Who wants big lights, small lights, multi-color or white, steady burning or flashing.....lol

Since moving into my own place, I have the lights I prefer, what I call "twinkle lights". They are the small bulbs, multi-color, and most of them are steady burning, but every few bulbs is one that blinks on and off..
Just try to check with guests beforehand. Flashing tree lights can be a migraine trigger :drama::sick:. (With apologies for being a party-pooper. I'm sure your unique tree is beautiful :giggle:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this year : i will be a grinch :) no time to decorate. I work until the 22nd and then will be traveling and won't be home for XMAS. So yeah. moving on to next year.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does this mean you will be changing your username? :)

:laugh2:

I've been living here for a while now, I just decided to keep the user name.

Funny thing, when I did live at home, many years ago, my room was in the attic. In the summer, however, it was toooo hot to be up there during the day, so I would be in the cellar with the TV, DVD player, and computer, and that's where the name came from.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The parade of holidays is getting packed!

Dec 7th is the start of Hanukkah.

Dec 21st is Yule, also the Winter Solstice

Dec 23rd is Festivus :rofl:

Dec 25th is Christmas

Dec 26th is the start of Kwanzaa, and Boxing Day

Jan 1st is New Year's Day

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The parade of holidays is getting packed!

Dec 7th is the start of Hanukkah.

Dec 21st is Yule, also the Winter Solstice

Dec 23rd is Festivus :rofl:

Dec 25th is Christmas

Dec 26th is the start of Kwanzaa, and Boxing Day

Jan 1st is New Year's Day
And today, December Eve, so to speak, is St Andrew's Day :hb::yahoo::jump:🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿! (Why should St Patrick get all the publicity? Remember, St P was a Scot to begin with ;))

icewhite

Record Breaker
Just try to check with guests beforehand. Flashing tree lights can be a migraine trigger :drama::sick:. (With apologies for being a party-pooper. I'm sure your unique tree is beautiful :giggle:)

Agree. Personally I get a headache from blinking lights very fast. Already having huge trouble with that at the start of some skating competitions when they decide to do a flashy, fast blinking light show.
But I know many people love them. :)