Men's SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

emma

Record Breaker
Unbelievable, this has been the day of upsets . . . Lysacek finishes 4th in the SP and Kostner finishes 7th in the SP.

seriously, i'm shocked on both counts. BUT, the men sound exciting - i really can't wait to watch these!!!

Wrlmy

Medalist
Evan looked tired. He should really work on axel technique.
I love the top 3, but I really want Evan make gpf.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yannick: :rock:
Patrick: :love:
(Those 2 were my picks for the Top 2!)

Who would've guessed that Ryan would make the Top 3 after the SP??? He must be thrilled!

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Actually most of Evan's jump look cheated. Evan, there ARE men who can land CLEAN QUAD. Actually three men have landed clean quad today with no cheating, two were ranked ahead of you.

lmarie086

Medalist
Evan was gifted. The 3T didn't count because he took too many steps in between. He did much better at SA. Honestly, I thought he should've been behind Voronov.

Loved both Ponsero and Chan. Completely different styles, two awesome performances!
I agree 100%. Evan should have been behind Voronov, and I actually even enjoyed Brandon's SP more than Evan's.

Yannick: :rock:
Patrick: :love:
(Those 2 were my picks for the Top 2!)

Who would've guessed that Ryan would make the Top 3 after the SP??? He must be thrilled!

Now I really love your wishful thinking!

abbykitty

Rinkside
loved Ponsero....he finally laid down a solid routine with amazing jumps and awesome step-sequences.:clap:

also I can't believe how much Patrick Chan's expression has improved in just a short time.....he was really skating his heart out and reaching out to the audience in a way I haven't really seen from him before.:love: I got major chills.....and can't wait to see his long program!:rock:

Ponsero, Ponsero, Ponsero

He was my pick in Calgary Worlds as the most promising skater. Well,it took some time but he's nearing the elite stage. Hope he doesn't blow the LP.

Mr. Chan continues to amaze me. That 3A was exactly like Weirs used to be. And Chan has the flow on the iice, too! with those long legs. He could win this.

Bradley always amazes me. He was good tonight. Hope he holds up for the LP.

Evan is being knocked down by the judges, imo.

Voronov is ok but far from being elite.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Evan has been cheating his 3x for several years now and I've always wondered why the judges didn't downgrade it . Now I guess now they are.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I ADORE Shawn Sawyer, but I don't know why he doesn't substitute his shaky 3Lutz for his very steady and reliable 3loop in the SP. He is capable of getting positive GOE on his gorgeous loop . . . it doesn't make sense to me why he or his coach insist on keeping the Lutz.

ITA! :banging: This current strategy isn't working AT ALL for him... :no:

Now I really love your wishful thinking!

:biggrin: I still (foolishly!) believe Shawn can make the Top 5, but it looks like Ryan might just be able to podium. I'm cool with that, I do greatly enjoy his showmanship! :thumbsup:

Kudos to Wrlmy and siberia for great pbps.
You guys are awesome!!!

You're welcome! I'm planning to attend the men's LP (this will be my first figure skating competition! :party2:), but I don't have a laptop, so someone else will have to do take down the skate order/marks/standings tomorrow. I can't wait to see Shawn, Patrick, Yannick and Ryan skate live!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Evan looked tired. He should really work on axel technique.
I love the top 3, but I really want Evan make gpf.

Hah, I wouldn't mind if he missed out.

A GPF consisting of Takahashi + Joubert + Ponsero + Weir + Kozuka + any one of Chan / Abbott / Verner would be be good.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Hah, I wouldn't mind if he missed out.

A GPF consisting of Takahashi + Joubert + Ponsero + Weir + Kozuka + any one of Chan / Abbott / Verner would be be good.

So many men are on similar level and actually really good.
And oh yeah, I love me some Jeremy Abbott.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I think Patrick Chan has a charisma similar to Lambiel. He is fab!!! The men were SICK!!!!!! And it seems that the quad is a very useful and daring weapon. I was in awe at the number of men at this comp who executed it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Men's SP Standings

1. Yannick PONSERO
2. Patrick CHAN
3. Ryan BRADLEY
4. Evan LYSACEK
5. Sergei VORONOV
6. Brandon MROZ
7. Shawn SAWYER
8. Anton KOVALEVSKI
9. Yasuharu NANRI
10. Vladimir USPENSKI
11. Jeremy TEN

Wow. This is just like last week when Evan was shocked by a newcomer. Evan is not having the start he wanted to the season at all!
I have no idea what happend in Russia over the summer, but it seems to have backfired. He lost the quad and now even his 3/3 is not clean?