Men's SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:rock: :party: Have a blast! :yes:

Awww, thanks. :) My seat is pretty crappy (I only bought my ticket a few days ago!), but I'm sure the event will be CHANTASTIC!!! :biggrin:

And oh yeah, I love me some Jeremy Abbott.

He's another American skater that I LURVE alongside Johnny! :love:

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My dream mens' GPF would be Jeremy Abbott, Yannick Ponsero, Patrick Chan, Tomas Verner, Daisuke Takahashi, and Kristoffer Berntsson. 1st Alternate: Takahiko Kozuka and 2nd Alternate: Shawn Sawyer. They are my fave men! :love:

oleada

Record Breaker
Interesting question! My dream men's GP Final this season would have to be: Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka, Patrick Chan, Yannick Ponsero, Brian Joubert, Tomas Verner and Sergei Voronov!

*Sniper*

On the Ice
I think Patrick Chan has a charisma similar to Lambiel. He is fab!!! The men were SICK!!!!!! And it seems that the quad is a very useful and daring weapon. I was in awe at the number of men at this comp who executed it.

Really? Oh wow. I'd better check him out!

waxel

Final Flight
Blah ... blah ... blah ... downgraded, under-rotated, wrong edge ... I get it. But how about real deductions for poor transitions, crappy choreography, zero audience connection...

I too long for clean programs ... but if this unspeakable COP is so intent on policing TES then can't there be likewise policing of hideous PCS?

Sheesh. Whatever.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think a rough start to his season might light a fire under Evan and he'll come to Nationals t-eed off and hungry. He does better when counted out/the hunter than he is when he's supposed to be on top and ends up feeling hunted.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yannick!!!! I can't believe it! I didn't watch, it was like 2 a.m. here when the short was. But I can't believe it! He smashed his personal best by exactly 9 points. Oh, I just hope that he can complete this miracle in the LP. And I guess his PCS will show some improvement if he continues to do so well. This makes 6 out of 7 Quads landed cleanly this season - what an impressive number. That's more than Joubert and Lambiel together last season.

Yannick and Patrick also were my pick for the top two. Voronov often climbs up the standings after the long. His jumping technique is just great and it pays off in the long.

Brandon Mroz, seriously underrated in my opinion, got more TES than Mr. Lysacek. Keep it up Brandon!

Allez la France! Allez Ponsero! :rock:

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Why is Evan having such problems in this beginning of the season?
I should stop chosing him for my fantaskate :think:

Just curious. Much talk about Lysacek's 3A here. Can anyone get a slo mo of the jump? I thought it was better than in previous comps.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan is being knocked down by the judges, imo.

I don´t think so, as his PCS scores were second best. Both Voronov and Bradley are way behind Lysacek and Ponsero almost 2 points in those scores. I would say that the judges are sending Lysacek a message: You need to do the programme better technically...

The freeskate will be most interesting: Both Voronov and Lysacek are skaters who are dangerous as they come from behind!

Wow. This is just like last week when Evan was shocked by a newcomer.

Hardly a newcomer in Grand Prix, as Kozuka has been participating in senior GP starting in fall 2006:

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00006317.htm

In his second 2006 GP event (NHK) he won a bronze medal.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Just curious. Much talk about Lysacek's 3A here. Can anyone get a slo mo of the jump? I thought it was better than in previous comps.
His 3A rarely looks good. But I guess that's beside the point here, because I don't think it got downgraded.

Evan just didn't get credit for the 3Lutz - 3Toe.
"I just had one little bobble in the score because, I'm gonna guess, I didn't get credit for a [jump] combination at all because of the steps in between," the two-time world bronze medalist correctly assessed.

The landing of triple Lutz was off-kilter, forcing him to step off the landing and around before launching the triple toe loop. That cost him.
That's from icenetwork. Which means that he got for the 3-3 about 3 points. No points for the 3 Toe and -3 on the Lutz because it wasn't a combo. So he lost at least 6 points here. That's why I don't think the Axel was downgraded. If you add 6 or 7 points to his TES he closes in on 80 points, which is pretty normal for an Evan-short.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yannick!!!! I can't believe it! I didn't watch, it was like 2 a.m. here when the short was. But I can't believe it! He smashed his personal best by exactly 9 points. Oh, I just hope that he can complete this miracle in the LP. And I guess his PCS will show some improvement if he continues to do so well. This makes 6 out of 7 Quads landed cleanly this season - what an impressive number. That's more than Joubert and Lambiel together last season.
I'm not sure it's more than Joubert, but with him missing some competitions, maybe - and I'll admit I did not go so far as to count how many quads Brian landed in 2007-8 :cool:.

The French men have only two spots for 2009 Worlds! This might turn out to be a lot more unfair than the US ladies only having two, if all three guys skate to the level they are capable of.

I'm hoping to catch the highlights when Eurosport shows the LP tonight.

Looking at the PCSs, I notice again that every skater got significantly lower scores in Transitions than in any other category.

I wonder if this reflects the fact that transitions are more easily quantifiable -- either you did some or you didn't. While the other four are kind of a ballpark figure thrown out there as a surrogate for ordinals.

decker

On the Ice
Wow for Yannick. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Ugly costume. Ugly music. Love the program anyway. That takes some mighty fine skating.

I don't see any evil judges' plot against Evan. He's always had bad technique on the 3A. Maybe the UR calls are too harsh this year. But whatever the standard is, there shouldn't be any Lysacek Exception.

And as Medusa noted, he may not have been docked severely on the 3A this time. The blown combination alone would just about explain his score.

Susan

rain

Record Breaker
Wow! I love Patrick Chan's new SP. It's so sophisticated and beautiful. A couple of bobbles this early in the season, but the program is world-class. I can't believe Patrick is so young. He has the musical expression of a much more mature skater.

Ponsero deserved first place. Those jumps were beautiful. One of the most gorgeous quads I've seen.