Who do you think excelled at certain moves/elements of skating (spins, spirals, etc)? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who do you think excelled at certain moves/elements of skating (spins, spirals, etc)?

Nadia01

Final Flight
ITA:yes:

Best Smile- Janet Lynn
Best Dressed- Alissa Cizny, Yuna Kim (They have long arms and legs) The Finnish ladies
Best Hair - Wagner in LP

Kiira is best-dressed?! :rofl: She's a pretty girl, but...she looks like a giant highlighter in her costume!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think the choices in this thread have been pretty skewed towards more recent (and American) skaters. I didn't start watching until the late 1990s and never followed the ladies much, but at the very least, as others have noted, Janet Lynn should be mentioned in several categories when looking at "best at" whatever.

The Finnish ladies do tend to look great, and all credit to them and their designers for staying away from boring colors and designs. Even Kiira's lime green costume - with her coloring, it works, and looking at closeup shots, it's quite nice. And these are all great costumes Kiira 1, Kiira 2; Susanna (it doesn't come across as well in a still photo); and of course Laura, who always looks amazing on the ice - or at least, her costumes do... ;) Though she's not Finnish, of course, Alissa Czisny also has beautiful costumes.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thinking of Buttercup's comment about the list being full of current/American skaters I wondered about this most important quality:

Best competitor - Katarina Witt.

I am always amazed at how little regard there is for this 4-time WC and 2-time OGM winner.

A thought about Kristi - I think she had one of the most beautiful and gentle flows over the ice I have ever seen. She definitely was a real "oozer" :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
BTW, whatever happened to some of the jumps from the 50's. 60's and 70's?
Are they just out of fashion or considered too easy? Delayed axles, walleys, half loops, one-foot axle....?

I think they had already gone out of fashion to a large degree because they were considered too easy.

Walleys and half loops are used as connecting moves. As I recall Sarah Hughes used both as isolated jumps.

These days we usually see half loops in jump sequences, e.g., triple toe-half loop-triple salchow. E.g., Joannie Rochette.

Nicole Bobek did a beautiful delayed axel in the televised performance of her program to "Sacrifice" on the 1995 COI tour. That's the only one I can really remember seeing from a post-figures-era skater, and it wasn't in competition.

One-foot axel would sometimes be used in combination with a triple salchow from the landing. It was kind of a signature move for Jill Trenary in the late 80s. Bobek and Krisztina Czako are the other ladies I can remember attempting that combination since then.

Delayed axels and one-foot axels are not worth doing under IJS because they count as a single axel and fill up a jump box.

A good delayed axel could merit +3 GOE, but given the low base value of a single axel and the low values of the GOEs for that element, it would still be worth more points for the skater just to land an adequate double axel.

1A+3S combo (using a one-foot axel) is unusual and wouldn't suffer from the sequence penalty that jump-half loop-3S combos would, but it's not worth much more than 3S+2T and harder to pull off successfully.

That could be another option, though, for a lady who wants to do seven triples and can't do a triple-triple combination. It would fill the requirement for "an axel-type jump" so they wouldn't have to limit triples to make room for double axel. However, someone how has a good one-foot axel-salchow combination probably also has a good double axel anyway.

kandidy

Final Flight
Best 3F/3T -Yuna Kim
Best 3Z/3L-Irina Slutzkaya, Miki Ando
Best 2ax/3T-Yuna Kim
Best 3ax-Midori Ito, Tonya Harding

I love this thread!

Best Costume: Sasha, Laura, Yuna ,Sarah
Best Hair: Ashley, Sasha, Yukari, Carolina

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think they had already gone out of fashion to a large degree because they were considered too easy.

Walleys and half loops are used as connecting moves. As I recall Sarah Hughes used both as isolated jumps.

These days we usually see half loops in jump sequences, e.g., triple toe-half loop-triple salchow. E.g., Joannie Rochette.

Nicole Bobek did a beautiful delayed axel in the televised performance of her program to "Sacrifice" on the 1995 COI tour. That's the only one I can really remember seeing from a post-figures-era skater, and it wasn't in competition.

One-foot axel would sometimes be used in combination with a triple salchow from the landing. It was kind of a signature move for Jill Trenary in the late 80s. Bobek and Krisztina Czako are the other ladies I can remember attempting that combination since then.

Delayed axels and one-foot axels are not worth doing under IJS because they count as a single axel and fill up a jump box.

A good delayed axel could merit +3 GOE, but given the low base value of a single axel and the low values of the GOEs for that element, it would still be worth more points for the skater just to land an adequate double axel.

1A+3S combo (using a one-foot axel) is unusual and wouldn't suffer from the sequence penalty that jump-half loop-3S combos would, but it's not worth much more than 3S+2T and harder to pull off successfully.

That could be another option, though, for a lady who wants to do seven triples and can't do a triple-triple combination. It would fill the requirement for "an axel-type jump" so they wouldn't have to limit triples to make room for double axel. However, someone how has a good one-foot axel-salchow combination probably also has a good double axel anyway.

Thanks for taking time for such a thorough explanation. I appreciate it and will always miss a good delayed axle, which to me can be more fun that seeing an endless repitition of 2A's.

It might be because I remember the delayed axle but I used to like that jump and think it could add a little variety to some of today's programs. I imagine Mao and Yuna could show really spectacular takes on this jump but I guess it is gone for good. Too bad that it would not score high enough for the skater - because it could score some points with the audience at times.

i think really good flying sitspins remind me at times of the delayed axle. A different move - but something about the height and seeing a move than isn't a blur in the air can be nice at times too :)

Thanks again for your comments gkelley.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now that you mention it, those two dresses are pretty similar, but IMO, it looks much better on Fleming.

Korpi

Fleming

To me they only appear similar at a casual glance.

Peggy's competitive costumes and her famous Olympic dress were hand made by her mother. This was something ABC played up alot and I think it helped endear Peggy to the American public.

ETA: Here is a clip with Peggy talking about the developement of wardrobe and skating costumes for the Ladies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBzV4zoJ4M

She mentions her green dress was handsewn by her mother and cost $8.00

Last edited:
What a charming video! I remember hearing about how Peggy's mother made her elegant chartreuse dress, but I forgot that it was made of matte jersey. (I'm a fabric buff, so these things matter to me!) I always envisioned poor Mrs. Fleming stitching away on stretch nylon leotard material. Fleming was one of the most beautiful women ever to take to the ice--an effect heightened by her graceful style--and she was even more striking during her pro career, when she had several TV specials. If we're doing "best at" lists, Fleming was one of the rare skaters, like John Curry, who excelled at both school figures and free skating. In fact, her Olympic free skate was supposedly not one of her very best (it always looked fine to me, but what do I know), but she had a formidable lead from her school figures.

Oh, by the way, I loved Shizuka's high-collared two-blues costume the year she won the Olympics. She'd look beautiful in anything, but that neckline gave her such a queenly air.

Have we done a category for "best carriage," by the way? That beautiful straight-backed bearing that even some champions lack (Oksana Baiul and Sarah Hughes both hunched over a bit) is something that always strikes me. My two greatest exemplars are Dorothy Hamill and Yuka Sato.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
To me they only appear similar at a casual glance.

Peggy's competitive costumes and her famous Olympic dress were hand made by her mother. This was something ABC played up alot and I think it helped endear Peggy to the American public.

I think that the colour's quite similar, but Peggy's dresses had the better design. Peggy's mother must have been an amazing seamstress. I've always loved the skirt part of Peggy's costume. They look especially gorgeous in the spins.

Oh, by the way, I loved Shizuka's high-collared two-blues costume the year she won the Olympics. She'd look beautiful in anything, but that neckline gave her such a queenly air.

ITA, Shizuka's Olympic LP costume will always be on my top 10 'best figure skating costumes' list. It also suited the music really well.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
She mentions her green dress was handsewn by her mother and cost $8.00
$8 and a lot of love!

Fleming was one of the most beautiful women ever to take to the ice--an effect heightened by her graceful style--and she was even more striking during her pro career, when she had several TV specials. If we're doing "best at" lists, Fleming was one of the rare skaters, like John Curry, who excelled at both school figures and free skating. In fact, her Olympic free skate was supposedly not one of her very best (it always looked fine to me, but what do I know), but she had a formidable lead from her school figures.

Have we done a category for "best carriage," by the way? That beautiful straight-backed bearing that even some champions lack (Oksana Baiul and Sarah Hughes both hunched over a bit) is something that always strikes me. My two greatest exemplars are Dorothy Hamill and Yuka Sato.
I agree with you on Fleming being so beautiful. Well I only see her now on blurry YouTube videos, but it's still apparent to me. :biggrin:

I also love Shizuka's Turandot dress! And "Best Carriage" is a great addition. I love seeing beautiful, straight--but fluid--backs.

berrycute

On the Ice
If I might offer my own proposal, with a few additions:

SPINS:
Best Spinner ----- Nathalie Krieg
Best Forward Camel ----- Michelle Kwan
Best Back Camel ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Donut ----- Yukari Nakano
Best Back Sit ----- Tara Lipinski
Best Forward Sit ----- Alissa Czisny
Best Classic Layback ----- Caroline Zhang
Best Catch-Foot Layback ----- Alissa Czisny
Best Bielman ----- Mao Asada
Best “I” Position ----- Molly Obestar
Best "Y" Position ----- Mao Asada

SPIRALS:
Best Spiraler ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Classic Spiral ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Bielman Spiral ----- Mao Asada
Best Charlotte ----- Sasha Cohen
Best “Y” Position ----- Sasha Cohen

MOVES IN THE FIELD – (other than spirals):
Best Ina Bauer ----- Shizuka Arikawa
Best Spread Eagle ----- Shizuka Arakawa

LEAPS:
Best Falling Split Leap ----- Michelle Kwan
Best Russian Split Leap ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Hydroblading ----- Michelle Kwan

JUMPS:
Best Jumper ----- Yuna Kim
Best Height ----- Midori Ito
Best Double Axel ----- Yuna Kim
Best Triple Axel ----- Mao Asada
Best Triple Loop ----- Laura Lepisto
Best Triple Salchow ----- Miki Ando
Best Triple Flip ----- Mao Asada
Best Triple Lutz ----- Yuna Kim
Best Triple Toe Loop ----- Michelle Kwan

OTHER ELEMENTS:
Best Toe Point ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Turn Out ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Positions in General ----- Sasha Cohen

ARTISTRY:
Best Emotional Interpretation ----- Michelle Kwan
Best Music/Repertoire ----- Michelle Kwan
Best Grace of Movement ----- Chen Lu
Best Gentleness ----- Mao Asada
Best Lyrical Quality ----- Chen Lu
Best Oozing Quality ----- Michelle Kwan
Best Tension ----- Sasha Cohen
Best Intesity ----- Katarina Witt
Best Exuberance ----- Tara Lipinski
Best Flow ----- Yuna Kim
Best Arm Movement ----- Oksana Baiul
Best Balletic Movement ----- Oksana Baiul
Best Speed ----- Carolina Kostner

CHARACTERS:
Best as Carmen ----- Katarina Witt
Best as Roxie from Chicago ----- Jennifer Kirk
Best as Scheherazade ----- Miki Ando
Best as Ballerina from Swan Lake ----- Oksana Baiul
Best as Ballerina from Nutcracker ----- Sasha Cohen
Best as Giselle ----- Yukari Nakano
Best as Showgirl/Broadway Dancer ---- Katarina Witt
Best as Firebird ----- Joannie Rochette

DRESS/HAIR/MAKEUP:
Best Dressed ----- Yu-na Kim
Best Hair ----- Ashley Wagner
Best Makeup ----- Laura Lepisto

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I stand by my decision! Only she added the foxyness that was needed to that program! Scheherezade is a temptress, and Miki understood that.

Not really... she was just trying to save her skin with wickedly interesting stories.

I think that Phoenix meant that what Scheherezade was doing was trying to stay alive by telling a story each night. If you remember, the story was that the Prince married a succession of women and then put each one to death the next day. Scheherezade, his latest wife, started telling stories, leaving the end off so the Prince would keep her alive until the next night. This went on for--you guessed it--a thousand and one nights. By that time, the story goes, the prince had fallen in love with his clever storyteller wife, and he mended his Bluebeard-ish ways.

This is why each movement of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade has a different title, such as "The Tale of Prince Kalendar" (the second movement) and "The Tale of the Prince and the Princess" (the third movement). The movements depict different stories that Scheherezade told. Scheherezade is a wonderful amalgam of a symphony (having four movements) and a bit of a violin concerto (the violin soloist conveys the voice of the storyteller). There's a reason this piece is such a "warhorse." It's such a compelling and gorgeous musical work that, like the fictional lady who inspired it, its storytelling skill will always leave listeners asking for more.

Last edited: