Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I had a dream last night that Caroline skated lights out at nationals and placed second. I don't remember who was first, but I remember being worried that she would revert back to her old self once she got to the olympics and blow our chances.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I saw the men's freeskate last night. There were coming attractions on the dance teams and ladies. Caroline was not mentioned. In fact, they edited her out of an Olympic promotional video I'm sure I saw her in before. :sheesh:

Rigth now, Caroline is where she needs to be ......... off the radar screen. I figure if she is the best skater, they can't place her lower than silver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah NBC already ate crow for the pairs stuff (coke chose the wrong team, that's for sure)... what do they know?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Right before the 2008 summer Olympics, a cosmetics company signed Alicia Sacrimone, Nastia Liuken, and Shawn Johnson to an endorsement deal. I remember thinking how smart that was. For the price of 3 unknowns, they signed 2 Olympic gold medalists.

Caroline has already filmed an AT&T commercial, but I haven't seen it yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Only Cohen, Flatt and Wagner in that order were mentioned. Neither Zhang nor Nagasu ( or Hughes for that matter) were mentioned. Doesn't mean that they have no shot though. It was just a promo. NBC has already seemed to bet on Cohen/Flatt; we'll see if they're right or not.

I saw a couple of images of Caroline last night in commercials and/or opening credits for the men's FS last night. One in a layback, purple dress... forget the other. She's in there. Sasha was only in the commercial for the women's.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Only Cohen, Flatt and Wagner in that order were mentioned. Neither Zhang nor Nagasu ( or Hughes for that matter) were mentioned. Doesn't mean that they have no shot though. It was just a promo. NBC has already seemed to bet on Cohen/Flatt; we'll see if they're right or not.

Didn't see anything about Alissa either, which is surprising as she is currently reigning champ.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, her too. Wow, even I forgot to mention her...:laugh:

Maybe it's a good thing....the less pressure the better. I would love to see her get a spot after all the hard work she's put in the last 4 years, after having such a great chance and missing out in 2006.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe it's a good thing....the less pressure the better. I would love to see her get a spot after all the hard work she's put in the last 4 years, after having such a great chance and missing out in 2006.

Not to mention if Cohen is there, all the press and audience eyes will be on her, which should relieve the other girls of at least some of the pressure. (I'm sure the internal pressure on themselves will stay the same though)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not to mention if Cohen is there, all the press and audience eyes will be on her, which should relieve the other girls of at least some of the pressure. (I'm sure the internal pressure on themselves will stay the same though)

This is true, but Jeremy pulled it off and he isn't know for his consistency and steadiness. Maybe Alissa could do the same, or at least make second.

Of course, NBC has already posted that Sasha and Rachael are going but I don't know what to think of that. After all, Keauna and Rockne were on those Olympic coke cans and now are not going.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There is a Twitter report over at FSUniverse that Caroline executed a triple - triple in practice yesterday. :clap: She did something they are calling a "Tano" which I think is a jump with a hand over her head. ( There is a video on YouTube of her doing this. ) From the report, the other girls are just doing triple - doubles.

Of course, NBC has already posted that Sasha and Rachael are going but I don't know what to think of that. After all, Keauna and Rockne were on those Olympic coke cans and now are not going.
It's a dopey mistake. Forget it. The competition has not started, let alone been pre-decided.

OT, but I wonder what conclusion Coca-Cola will draw from the M/B mistake. I guess they learned that ice is slippery! I hope it doesn't turn them off skating.

janetfan

Match Penalty
There is a Twitter report over at FSUniverse that Caroline executed a triple - triple in practice yesterday. :clap: She did something they are calling a "Tano" which I think is a jump with a hand over her head. ( There is a video on YouTube of her doing this. ) From the report, the other girls are just doing triple - doubles.

Hmmm...the same reports said Rachael was also doing 3x3's - and missing some. It also said Caroline was having trouble with her 3F.

fefe_sky

Spectator
I want to watch this video!! How can I find it?

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't know where you can find Caroline's practice video, but Sylvia has been twittering from the rink:
http://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen

Parts concerning Caroline, from Tuesday's practice:

In Sr Ladies Grp D, Zhang was first up and did a SP run thru: 3F-3T (couldn't see landing of toe), footwork into 3Lo, 2A (still small).

Zhang also landed 3F-3T, 3Lo-2T-'tano 2Lo, 3Lo, and several 3S. Only saw 1 fall and 1 step out -- both on 3F.

Sounds like she's going to do 3F-3T in both of her programs, and turned her 2R into tano in the 3-jump combo. A little concerned about her 3F...

Group D's practice will start at 5:40 PM pacific time. Good luck to Caroline! :clap::clap::clap:

cornell08

Final Flight
twitter.com/LynnRutherford: "Per C. Zhang's coach, Li, the skater has had a back injury the past two weeks. She's getting physical therapy after each practice. " :no:

And now that we see Sasha's in fine form, I'm afraid there will be less wow factor to what Caroline does well...

Anyhow, GOOD LUCK CAROLINE! I just want to see her smile and have fun again. Hope she has performances she feels good about.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I watched Caroline's practice tonight on IN. She did a run thru of her LP she had one fall on I believe the 3 flip. She did a beautiful (to my eyes) 3-3. She also does a tano in her 3-2-2 combo. She looked good, focused and fit. The back injury did not seem to hinder her practice at all. She was spinning, jumping and spiraling around the ice. Very good practice for her.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I did not know about the back injury, but she did not look hurt I also saw the practice on IceNetwork. Nice triple - triple, which nobody else did. The 'tano move was nicely done. She seemed uncomfortable skating with so many other girls on the ice. She almost ran into Emily.

EDIT : Here is the first Caroline article in quite a while.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/zhang-230222-kwan-skating.html

Last edited: