Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST | Page 76 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST

Alatariel

On the Ice
This pretty much sums it up as to why I want Plushenko to come and kick some butt and win this thing. I have no longer any other wishes (my hopefuls have bombed anyway), I just want these relentless 'pure evil Plushenko' campaigners to eat their words.. Go Plush!

Exactly! It was so ludicrous and over the top that I am just laughing right now and cheering Plushenko on!

The very sad part is that this is obviously someone who knows nothing about skating yet nailed the problem right away - "The thing is? He's really, really good.[...]. I'm just wondering if this guy was from Canada and not Russia, would they have made up this whole preposterous "evil" character? It's actually kind of embarrassing. Not cool, NBC. No duh, Plushenko rockets into first place with a 90.85."

But great snark from the blogger, loved his style. Go Plush!

Lol the article is hilarious!!! And dear god, did they portayed (how is this spelled?) Evgeni like this in fluff???:eek:Please, where is it???I want to see it.:laugh:

It was on NBC during the SP seniorita! It was an introduction to his skating, don't know if anyone will put it online, I'd love to see it!

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Looking at the top skaters from last night again, it is still a shock to see Plushenko ahead. Top 3 because of the quad, maybe, but behind Takahashi and Lysacek by 5 points at least. And certainly not ahead 10 points of Kosuka, Weir or Chan, no way that makes any sense at all. On par with Lambiel and Oda if the judges were very generous. To have the diva in first is pure delusion.

I'm hoping for a M&FP repeat as far as that one is concerned.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'll be around. Count on it. :)

The only thing that slightly worries me is that my favs usually bomb. Maybe I shouldn't divert my fan-powers to Plushy :p

I am sure then that Evan will be safe from your fan powers.
Poor Tomas......so much talent

schiele

Final Flight

The only thing that slightly worries me is that my favs usually bomb. Maybe I shouldn't divert my fan-powers to Plushy :p

Weeee, K, loved your location! Let's just not cheer for any skater, we are bomb magnets obviously. :laugh: I managed to get Jeremy down as well with my last minute posts.

seniorita

Record Breaker

:eek:Can you be a fan of Lysacek tommorow?

If plushy bombs after he did ten years ago I will come and hunt you down!:biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I changed my mind. K and Sciele, I will send you to bed. I ll skype only with Medusa. Anty is on vacations cheering for Plushy right now.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Totally agree about Kozuka. BY FAR my favorite performance of the night last night, and I've watched it several times again today. I was ranting about how amazing he was for a long while last night on Facebook, and I also think he's going to be a major, major factor in the next few years.

I hope so! He is really terrific and SO underrated by the judges! I :love: his skating!

schiele

Final Flight
I changed my mind. K and Sciele, I will send you to bed. I ll skype only with Medusa. Anty is on vacations cheering for Plushy right now.

Cheers mate!
Anyone who wants their not so favourite skaters jinxed, pls send your requests for a cheering to me and K! It'll seal the deal for sure! :laugh: :laugh:

Smuusik

Rinkside
This pretty much sums it up as to why I want Plushenko to come and kick some butt and win this thing. I have no longer any other wishes (my hopefuls have bombed anyway), I just want these relentless 'pure evil Plushenko' campaigners to eat their words.. Go Plush!

There is no better way for putting it.
Not only does the "dark lord of skating crap" come from over the Atlantic ocean but from the local media here as well - publish a controversial story, get a good amount of clicks and a bunch of :unsure: comments.

Let the ice speak.
There is nothing to lose.

schiele

Final Flight
There is no better way for putting it.
Not only does the "dark lord of skating crap" come from over the Atlantic ocean but from the local media here as well - publish a controversial story, get a good amount of clicks and a bunch of :unsure: comments.

Let the ice speak.
There is nothing to lose.

Wow, they're trashing him there as well? It's so popular with everyone.. Lol, I just figured a new thread topic.. Is Plushenko the Paris Hilton of skating? :rofl::rofl:

Alatariel

On the Ice
Was the power pull Plushenko did after the 3 axel new? Very nice and unexpected.

Yes, though I saw that in one of the practice videos before the skate.

The ES commentator thought he was wobbly and had to compensate but got corrected by his counterpart - he saw the slow motion and admitted it was choreo. Don't know how he missed it honestly, it was obvious.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I don't think anyone is suggesting Plushenko is truly evil. It was a horrible choice of words. I think they were suggesting he's trying to look like a bada$$ with that hair and those necklaces and black clothes. Now, I've taught in the inner city, and I believe true tough people would laugh at his hair, necklaces and black clothes, but apparently those in the skating community must be easily frightened and think he looks threatening.

I like him, but I am not rooting for him. I can see why he'd be resented. He comes back after ten years, and outjumps everybody and wins. But wait! Jumps aren't important, it's transitions that are the main thing now. Oh, but he has no transitions? Oh well, we'll just ignore that fact and put him in first place anyway.

I'm rooting for Evan. I know a lot of people don't like him (and he's also not lyrical) but I want to see someone from my country get a figure skating gold, and I have a bad feeling they are going to shaft Davis and White. But I think Evgeny will win, loved or not, because he will do the only clean quad.

lcd

Match Penalty
The post event commentary segments with Dick Button have been some of the most uncomfortable cringe-worthy segments I have ever seen

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Abbott doesn't have that championship mentality.

I am dead tired from last night. There is a lot I should otherwise say, but I have selected this quote because I think you have said something important, soogar. There is such a thing, I believe, as a "championship mentality". I think we have to face that. A male skater needs to have several things to win when the pressure is at maximum. One is athletic ability. Another is artistry. Another is willingness to practice, practice, practice. There are some things not absolutely necessary, but they do help a lot. One is rapport with the audience, another is sheer showmanship, which often replaces true artistry, in fact. Getting the audience to go wild for you always helps a little, even if you are skating sloppily. Another thing that helps is having had the right kind of coaches, the kind that make sure you learn to have deep edges early in your training, soft knees for landing your jumps, good outflow from your jumps, and that you take off with the correct edge for each type of jump, so that your GOEs will not deflate the value of your jumps.

However, you may have all these things, and still fail to reach your goal, if you lack one thing, and that is the thing you have mentioned, soogar. You have to be determined, a fighter, able to surmount your nervousness even under the worst kind of pressure, able to make your body resist the tightening up that can sabotage you, able to surmount insecurity, pain, everything that emotionally stands in your way. It has been said, with reason, that some skaters are great skaters, while other skaters are great competitors. One must be a great competitor to win when the pressure is on; being a great skater is often not enough.

On another note, I think that some of the judging has been fair, and some has not. That is the usual thing. I loved watching Borodulin skate. He went through it at such a difficult pace. It was a fun performance to watch and I look for more good things from him in the future. I also look forward to seeing what Oda has to offer in the years to come, and Kozuka, and I am happy to see that Johnny Weir has his triple axel back; long live the triple axel! When a triple axel is big, and confident, and beautiful, it makes my heart soar. :love:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I'm still a bit of a wreck after watching (and re-watching ) the SP.

You know I really am hoping to see Daisuke go clean . If he does, I don't know that either of the other top 2 could hold him, or if any of the next five could catch him..I know he's been inconsistent this year , but he's been progressing at such a rapid pace , since we saw him at Skate Canada..I just want to see him keep doing it :laugh:

Iscariot

On the Ice
:)I'm still a bit of a wreck after watching (and re-watching ) the SP.

You know I really am hoping to see Daisuke go clean . If he does, I don't know that either of the other top 2 could hold him, or if any of the next five could catch him..I know he's been inconsistent this year , but he's been progressing at such a rapid pace , since we saw him at Skate Canada..I just want to see him keep doing it :laugh:

I am hoping the same thing, i want Daisuke to rock again