Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST | Page 78 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thanks for your great report, rain!

All three of the Japanese skaters were impressive, with Takahashi the one who really performed his program out to the audience the best. I can understand now why Kozuka doesn't get the highest scores — he really didn't reach out to the audience during his program and when you're reaching into the top tier that makes a difference.

Yeah, koz is improving dramatically but still a shy boy whereas Daisuke seems to love and seek attention. I heard his interview last night and he was saying that the audience seats were higher than he expected so that he'd try to reach out higher in his FS. He did do great appeal to judges though. It's almost like every time he turns, he looks back to the judges with smiles.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
whole post

Tjhanks, Rain, is always so interesting to read the live reporst. I agree with most things you noticed .. Takahashi was THE man and Lambiel whilea always lovely was given too much benefit of doubt. It sucks that people started to left when Brezina was still skating though..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Regarding Champion mentality, Look-at-me-I-love-me-You-love-me Mentality helps a lot in presenting charisma. Dai and Weir definitely have it, but skaters like Nob and Koz are rather shy.

Um, well Brian Joubert DEFINITELY has that mentality and he has been having a pretty rough season and is currently in 18th place. I mean his SP doesn't have a theme or story and is essentially him skating around in a sparkly shirt looking hot and flirting with the audience through cute facial expressions and funny gestures in between his jumps....don't you agree? I mean I love Joubert, but IMO he uses his good looks, confidence, and the audiences' love for him to his advantage in his programs, esp the SP.

Vash01

Medalist
Dick Button

Re: Your comment about Uncle Dick not being a fan of one trick skating, let me remind you that Dick Button has always had high praise for Plushenko for what he does well. He said "you can't take your eyes off him" and in the past he defended his win at worlds (I forgot the year).

I couldn't believe my eyes when I came back to GS after the SP and a rest and found an 89 page thread. I guess I forgot what the Oly's are like, lol.

To me Daisuke outskated everyone last night. I was soooooo happy! He is like the Horowitz of skating - inventive, brilliant, unique, exciting - a true OGM-worthy skater if he can hold it together one more night. I'm afraid to think about his quad. I think he'll go for it... and I don't really like his chances of landing it. Please, skate gods, I'm on my knees! :love:

Plushenko did his big trick which is definitely amazing. :thumbsup: His footwork was shockingly bad. :disagree: I admit his spins have improved, which is not saying a whole lot. I thought it was hilarious when they replayed his statement about wanting to be "like Dick Button" to Dick Button. As anyone who knows his taste would know, Uncle Dick is not a fan of crude, one-trick skating. Because of his one-sidedness he looks very beatable to me - but I thought the same the last time....

Evan was the best Evan he can be and like most others, I am very willing to give him props for his drive and determination. Unfortunately he will never be subtle, musical, or beautiful. Still, if he gets a medal (anything but gold, please), he's earned it. I guess.

Johnny had that old look back of the sleek, coiled up wildcat ready to leap and pounce. :love: I'm begging the skate gods to push him onto the podium and I think it's very possible. He skated the best I've seen for a long time but I don't like the program or the posing so it was hard to get excited about his performance.

IMO Lambiel's spins were great but the footwork wasn't as brilliant as Takahashi's or as Scott and Sandra claimed. He wasn't quite sharp to me. I could see him either bombing or grabbing a medal tonight. I'd love it if it were a well-earned silver or even gold if Daisuke falters. Totally mystified by his choice of costume. U-G-L-Y, it ain't got no alibi.

Patrick hasn't looked like himself since he returned from his injury. Maybe he just lost too much training time. Also, I predicted he and Joannie would succumb to the Olympic pressure and so far it looks like I'm right. Prove me wrong, guys. I love Patrick and think he's OGM material but not this time, alas. I'm quite shocked by his talk of retiring now.

Kozuka and Oda - beautiful skaters but they're not going to lift people out of their seats. Yet.

Shocked and saddened by the meltdowns of Brian and Jeremy. I frankly think Brian should retire. He made his feelings about the Olympics plain right after his skate and I don't see how he can keep up this depressing fight for another four years. All he has to do is take off his shirt and smile and he'll make a fortune in movies or modeling, that's my opinion and hope.

I was delighted with Florent and Javier, my two favorite young 'uns. I missed Denis Ten, Schultheiss, and some others I wanted to see... I'm becoming quite knowledgeable about luge and snowboarding, though. :rolleye:

I think Uncle Dick hedges his criticism very carefully. He's not going to smear the reigning OGM who's also the favorite for the gold now. That would cheapen the OGM and Dick Button is the last one to want that. His politeness doesn't mean P is one of his favorites, though.

JMO and I could be wrong.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I have a really difficult time imagining that Dick really gives a crap now. He's long past both the age and the level of achievement where one has to watch what one says.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Um, well Brian Joubert DEFINITELY has that mentality and he has been having a pretty rough season and is currently in 18th place. I mean his SP doesn't have a theme or story and is essentially him skating around in a sparkly shirt looking hot and flirting with the audience through cute facial expressions and funny gestures in between his jumps....don't you agree? I mean I love Joubert, but IMO he uses his good looks, confidence, and the audiences' love for him to his advantage in his programs, esp the SP.

But unlike Plushy and Dai his "flirting" seems like chreography, it looks forced and more often than not he winds up looking self-concious or uncomfortable. Joubert does not "sell" his program unless he is 100% on, Evan, Plushy, Shen and Zhao sell the life out of their programs and are rewarded for it.

shine

Record Breaker
Lambiel is mostly appealing because he is good looking and has perfect hair, I'm not going to lie.

You CANNOT be serious.

I was there live and there is a reason why Lambiel got the biggest ovation after hometown boy Chan (and maybe Lysacek), even with all the mistakes.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan doesn't sell his programs either. He is so caught up in the technical aspects of his programs that he forgets there's an audience out there that wants to be entertained. The performance aspect of his skating is an area that he's neglected so far. That's why Lysacek can beat him even though neither of them does the quad. Lysacek is not a favorite of mine, but he does know how to perform the heck out of his programs.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
What I'd like to know is why Vaughan Chipeur finished so low. He had problems in his skate, but he shouldn't have finished all the way down at 24th. About half a dozen of the skaters who placed above him had worse skates with more errors.

yangjie

On the Ice
What I'd like to know is why Vaughan Chipeur finished so low. He had problems in his skate, but he shouldn't have finished all the way down at 24th. About half a dozen of the skaters who placed above him had worse skates with more errors.

you didnt watch the competition?

he fell 3A, and i think he had one more major mistake.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yes, I watched the competition. I think Chipeur should have been several spots higher than 24th.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Just wanted to thank everybody above for their comments. I've worked my way through many pages. I'm in the wilds of Sulawesi, Indonesia at an internet cafe and have nothing to go by except the website scores and your commentaries. My imagination of what these performances looked like is running deliciously wild. Too slow and unstable a connection here to watch videos via computer. Needless to say, Indonesia is not exactly a hotbed for following Winter Olympics on regular broadcast or streaming, either. I look forward to settling in with the videos of the performances in about a week or so, when I have access once again to my Old Trusty connection. In the meantime, please keep up the good work for the Mens FS and Dance and Ladies!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Poor America. It was so boring watching Lindsey Vonn win the OGM in women's downhill and her teammate Julie Mancuso take the Silver.
It was also boring watching Apollo qualify again in short track and to see Shani Davis win Gold in the speed skating 1000 meters tonight. Now I watch our snowboarders win more medals.

Different strokes seniorita :)

i said skaters jntfan, it was in english. :p
Congradulations on Vonn. :)
Apollo is in my heart since i ever saw him without even knowning the speed skating rules!:love:

Thanx rain for review! I hope you had a great time and you have also tonight!

Alatariel

On the Ice
The fluff last night was mild compared to what they just ran tonight.
"The cold war is back and this arrogant, trash talking Russian must be stopped." :eek:

They called him a one trick pony and said Evan has everything.

Uh, talk about trash talking right there, I can't believe someone allowed this to be aired. I wonder where the impression people have of the US comes from ah? :rolleye:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Uh, talk about trash talking right there, I can't believe someone allowed this to be aired. I wonder where the impression people have of the US comes from ah? :rolleye:

Ratings, it's just about ratings. NBC has also made some nice pieces on Plushy and no one is taking this "Plushy as the evil character" seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT5...0623135D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38

This is just skating - and not about real problems in the real world. I thought most posters here were able to tell the difference. :)

screech

Final Flight
Yes, I watched the competition. I think Chipeur should have been several spots higher than 24th.

I agree - yes, he messed up, but not nearly as badly as some in front of him. At least he did a combination (unlike someone in 18th...)!! His performance aspect really hurts him, but 24th is a bit too harsh for the skate he had, compared to others. I also think the North Korean who came 25th got ripped off - he had a great quality to his skating, and nailed his jumps. His skating actually fully reminded me of an unrefined Patrick Chan. I definitely think he should have made it to the LP, and also placed higher.

Medusa

Record Breaker
This is just skating - and not about real problems in the real world. I thought most posters here were able to tell the difference. :)
Coming from the person who seems to mix up figure skating or sport in general - with the cold war and patriotism quite often.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Chan doesn't sell his programs either. He is so caught up in the technical aspects of his programs that he forgets there's an audience out there that wants to be entertained. The performance aspect of his skating is an area that he's neglected so far. That's why Lysacek can beat him even though neither of them does the quad. Lysacek is not a favorite of mine, but he does know how to perform the heck out of his programs.

That and in their head-to-heads, Chan has never been clean, and Lysacek has.