Yuna Kim | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

yunasashafan

On the Ice
And I didn't say the stylist badmouthed the customer. I said the stylist said things about the costumer and her taste. Don't try to mislead with what I said just because you don't have a good response to it.

So what things was the hairdresser saying about the customer's taste while claiming they did nothing wrong? good things? :laugh:

Let me remind you how this whole thing started: I asked cooper an innocent question

Do you have a link to an article stating that IB did not live up to their paycheck? It seems to me that Yuna had more engagements in a day that other athletes may have in a month or even a year.. so where exactly did IB not live up to its committment?

To which you jumped on me saying that there was no need for article links to justify your statement that IB is not living up to its "unfair" paychek. You're throwing these big statements around but are not willing to provide backing for your story. Sorry, but I am not going to take anything you say seriously until you do. And yunaforum.com has not missed a beat in keeping up with every single reliable piece of information about Yuna. I wonder how they missed all that big mess that you claim IB is making. I do not care about IB a single bit, but would love to base my opinion about them on reported facts. Is that so hard to understand?

Besides, here is what cooper had to say about IB. So he/she is also misinformed?

IB was very supportive to Yuna for last 3 years, no doubt about that.

I may have respected your assessment of IB if it had been based on the latest well-documented lawsuit against Gu, even though I do not have to agree with you on that. But no, you do not need articles to form your opinions and start forcing them on everybody else.. who cares about facts anyway.. right?

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
Oh God.. we can't move on can we?

If you remember correctly, I was genuinely curious and asking about links to articles with facts from which one could see that IB was not living up to their billing. The response I received was "You don't need articles to show you that".. well, I do. I am not going to take anybody's personal opinion as a fact. And I wouldn't go making such big statements on a forum where members are not dedicated to tracking Yuna's every move, without being willing to at least provide one source to back it up, or say that it's my opinion, not a fact.

I was among the first people to point to IB's fault in the Orser/Mao drama. Go find my post on this, as I am not going to do your research for you. What I am trying to say is IB suing their ex-executive for breach of trust is a common business practice that is not base for calling IB unprofessional. Ask anybody in the industry and you'll see what I mean. Can we at least agree to disagree?

It just seems to me that just a few days ago people were trashing IMG for the Hyundai card show. Suddently it's IB who are the bad guys after Yuna split from them. I am starting to see a pattern that is making me very skeptical about overdramatized "facts." I have been following yunaforum.com for a long time and never heard anybody calling IB THAT unprofessional (not even now actually).

Besides, IB never badmouthed Yuna so your haircut example is irrelevant..

Ok, I am done for real this time..

Congrats Yuna on the Times 100! Very touching tribute by MK :love:

In general I agree with you. Bashing IB is not helpful for YuNa.

IB certainly has right to sue Gu, but I am sure Gu thinks he does not deserve it. One of the problems of Korean companies is that contribution is not rewarded enough. Probably, Gu thinks that his big contribution to IB was not fairly rewarded.

IB's leak of the Orser thing was highly unprefessional and deserved criticization. They seem to realize it finally. They issued a statement that they would keep supporting YuNa in the future admitting that she made huge contribution to IB in the last three years. I think everything will be resolved in good ways.

Lilith11

On the Ice
:unsure: I think I almost blew out my retinas trying to make out the words (as did the censors :laugh:). Have you been overdosing on Tolkien recently? :p

Yuna learned her lessons well. Such is the power of role models. And I think Yuna, in turn, is going to be the one whose qualities (speed, jumps, musicality and expressiveness) are going to be emulated by the next generation of top ladies skaters.

Hmpf, my words are worth more than your retinas! XD And no, actually; Harry Potter would have been the correct answer you foolish Muggle; I was channeling my inner-Malfoy :cool: XD

I hope so; and so much of Yu-na to emulate! If young skaters ever want a role model, just look at Yu-na's skating and her personality, her generosity. If anything, I hope at least they take a clue from Yu-na in doing textbook perfect jumps that also have great speed and flow. I watched some older skating performances recently and the quality of 3-3's... *winces*

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So what things was the hairdresser saying about the customer's taste while claiming they did nothing wrong? good things? :laugh:

Let me remind you how this whole thing started: I asked cooper an innocent question

To which you jumped on me saying that there was no need for article links to justify your statement that IB is not living up to its "unfair" paychek. You're throwing these big statements around but are not willing to provide backing for your story. Sorry, but I am not going to take anything you say seriously until you do. And yunaforum.com has not missed a beat in keeping up with every single reliable piece of information about Yuna. I wonder how they missed all that big mess that you claim IB is making. I do not care about IB a single bit, but would love to base my opinion about them on reported facts. Is that so hard to understand?

Besides, here is what cooper had to say about IB. So he/she is also misinformed?

I may have respected your assessment of IB if it had been based on the latest well-documented lawsuit against Gu, even though I do not have to agree with you on that. But no, you do not need articles to form your opinions and start forcing them on everybody else.. who cares about facts anyway.. right?

Honestly the most ideal thing is to have the following:
1.) A copy of the contract between IB and Yuna.
2.) An employment agreement between the IB executive and IB.
3.) A copy of the lawsuit against the IB executive.
Of course getting any of these is totally unrealistic!

I will also make do with translated Korean articles.
Other people have done so in the past; I don't know why there's so much resistance to post the article backing the claims made here. If the English language stories have it wrong, then please for goodness sake translate articles for those of us who don't speak Korean. You don't even have to do the whole thing, just key phrases.

Until there's source material, I think that it's all just people's opinions and speculation.

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
hi, does anyone know when Yuna's episode of "Knee Drop Guru" is going to air?
it's been a while since she did the shoot, just wondering why it's taking so long to air :disapp:

Beacuase MBC broadcasting union is currently on a strike. I even forgot she did the shoot. :laugh:

Hopefully, they will resume the regular broadcasting next week.

parma

On the Ice
To which you jumped on me saying ...

It seems I have to explain everything to you from A to Z... this is last time I will do so.

IB has babbled about their deals with Yuna to the media at the end of their term with her. Clearly their intention is damage control, but the way they did so was highly unprofessional. IB gave the press very specific details, including money amount Yuna took and claimed the main reason She left IB was because she and her mom wanted to get more money, emphasis on money. Now, that's not exactly bashing Yuna per se, but clearly breaking a Korean business norm of a management firm not opening up about contractual details regarding former clients to the media. That's pretty much the business norm around the world. I never see IMG going around the newspapers revealing how much Tiger Woods made last year unless if doing so somehow benefits the athlete.

You are saying IB making numerous stupid mistakes in managing an athlete, in this case it happened to be Yuna, is OK because "everyone makes mistakes" and IB all the same deserved that fee they collected. To that, there is nothing more I can say. I guess that's just difference in perspective. I have worked for companies, and to me paid professional organizations such as IB, which is the 10th largest sports management firm in the world, have to do everything in their power to prevent themselves from making stupid mistakes and negligence, especially with all the resources they have and the fees they collected from Yuna. Some newspapers criticize IB for not having given a career roadmap for Yuna, but to me if IB didn't make numerous dumb mistakes - if those were truly mistakes and not purposely done - they would have been able to earn themselves a second term with Yuna. It just escapes me why you are persistent in being so generous on IB. For that, I haven't taken your words seriously from the beginning since you just don't seem to understand that basic things. I will give you some articles since you earned it through constant nagging.

http://sports.donga.com/sports/0106/3/0106/20100122/25577646/3
http://sports.media.daum.net/genera...id=5089&newsid=20100121163205583&p=xportsnews
http://issue.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/04/30/2010043001109.html
http://news.sbs.co.kr/sports/section_sports/sports_read.jsp?news_id=N1000740194

Last edited:

chronos13

Rinkside
I know that the IB thing is all old news but if you guys want I can translate some of the Korean articles and maybe forums. But I can only do it next week cause I have finals and papers. Let me know if anyone is particularly interested.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Wow, so adorable! Yuna's voice is amazingg :love: and Kwak looks really pretty and grown up there :agree:. Also, gotta love Orser!

Ahh...how I love skaters in commercials (^--^ ). That means more top-notch footage for people to make skating montages!!! XD

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know that the IB thing is all old news but if you guys want I can translate some of the Korean articles and maybe forums. But I can only do it next week cause I have finals and papers. Let me know if anyone is particularly interested.

That would be appreciated! Do it at your convenience. As I said earlier I can only say three things in Korean and I can't read at all.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
It seems I have to explain everything to you from A to Z... this is last time I will do so.
I am sorry you had to step down from your throne of superiority and explain everything to us mortals from A to Z. Let me assure you that this will be the first and last time you'll do so and I will not dare and bother you asking for any more information.

IB has babbled about their deals with Yuna to the media at the end of their term with her. Clearly their intention is damage control, but the way they did so was highly unprofessional. IB gave the press very specific details, including money amount Yuna took and claimed the main reason She left IB was because she and her mom wanted to get more money, emphasis on money.
… Some newspapers criticize IB for not having given a career roadmap for Yuna
How difficult would it have been to provide us with a link to articles where the blabbing and the criticizing were reported at the beginning of this discussion, I wonder? I would assume that's how you heard about those things... oh, wait… maybe not ..

You are saying IB making numerous stupid mistakes in managing an athlete, in this case it happened to be Yuna, is OK because "everyone makes mistakes" and IB all the same deserved that fee they collected.
I made that comment in the context of the 3loop statement incident. IB’s information was indeed correct since Yuna has not attempted the jump since then. I meant that there must have been some miscommunication between Yuna and IB, and that incidence alone is not enough to call IB unprofessional (and by the way, that must have been after FCC in 2009, not 2008 (Yuna was not even present in 2008).. but, I know, these just irrelevant facts.. I’ll forgive you anyway since.. you guessed it.. everybody makes mistakes).

but to me if IB didn't make numerous dumb mistakes - if those were truly mistakes and not purposely done - they would have been able to earn themselves a second term with Yuna. It just escapes me why you are persistent in being so generous on IB. For that, I haven't taken your words seriously from the beginning since you just don't seem to understand that basic things.
Wow.. so you think IB has all along been trying to hurt their golden client whom they were representing through the 2010 OLYMPICS ON PURPOSE? And I am the one who “just don't seem to understand that basic things”? don’t bother answering those questions..

I will give you some articles since you earned it through constant nagging .
Hallelujah!!!! I was deemed worthy! Don’t worry though, I will no longer dignify your statements with my constant nagging for information.. I was trying to have an informed conversation with you and get some facts about my favorite skater but it seems that you are not able to do so without resorting to drama and personal attacks.

Sorry everybody for hijacking the thread, I have been giving this poster way much more credit that I should have.

Thanks chronos13, I would really appreciate it. As Mrs. P said, please take your time, no rush.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
... sooooo....

Let's talk about Michelle Kwan now! That should be a safe subject XD

Okay, seriously. Let's lay off the whole speculation over IB Management and their real or imagined misconduct. So far, all we have are educated deductions and speculations that lack concrete proof; that is, the actual contract. Soooo, let's shift topics now. For example, the artistic direction you guys would like to see Yu-na go in. How do you think she can develop artistically? Challenge herself? Become a skater that falls so deeply into the music that pure art is created, a la Kwan? :3 Regardless if she continues competitive skating or not, what direction do you think she can take?

I for one am all for unusual music choices, like this year's Bond Medley. Or perhaps balletic music. I know Yu-na isn't what I'd call a ballerina on ice; she doesn't have amazing posture, carriage, body lines, and extensions. BUT choosing music of that sort, could push her to develop those qualities which I believe will serve her better in the long run.

Two. New jump layouts for her perhaps? Or just element layouts? Let's talk! :3

yunasashafan

On the Ice
... sooooo....

Let's talk about Michelle Kwan now! That should be a safe subject XD

Okay, seriously. Let's lay off the whole speculation over IB Management and their real or imagined misconduct. So far, all we have are educated deductions and speculations that lack concrete proof; that is, the actual contract. Soooo, let's shift topics now. For example, the artistic direction you guys would like to see Yu-na go in. How do you think she can develop artistically? Challenge herself? Become a skater that falls so deeply into the music that pure art is created, a la Kwan? :3 Regardless if she continues competitive skating or not, what direction do you think she can take?

I for one am all for unusual music choices, like this year's Bond Medley. Or perhaps balletic music. I know Yu-na isn't what I'd call a ballerina on ice; she doesn't have amazing posture, carriage, body lines, and extensions. BUT choosing music of that sort, could push her to develop those qualities which I believe will serve her better in the long run.

Two. New jump layouts for her perhaps? Or just element layouts? Let's talk! :3

Thanks Lilith11 and sorry again about my contribution to this mess...

I think the new restriction on the number of 2As is a blessing in disguise for Yuna. I couldn't be more excited about this rule and I am really really hoping that Yuna will stick around now even more than before. I am confident she'll be able to bring her 3Lo back and I would love her to show the people who keep harping on her missing 3Lo that she can do it. I understand why she's been leaving out, but now that she has to do it, she will. I am also hoping that the new all-or-nothing requirement on spirals includes pointed toes. Nothing like a challenge to get Yuna excited to show everybody what she can do.

Here is what I suggest for her jump layout:

3Lz-3T (10% bonus)
3Lo
3Lz
------halfway point
3F-3T (20% bonus)
2A-2T-2Lo with spread eagle entry (20% bonus)
3S (10% bonus)
2A with ina bauer (10% bonus)

Last edited:

princess9

On the Ice
I'd love to see Kim do a program choreographed by Sasha Cohen, and work with Cohen. Sasha is not yet working with elite skaters but she (KIM) will never have that outgoing attack Michelle has. They are so very different. How about another great skater with perfect technique to critique and help her become a better skater? Michelle is the competitor of all times and so solid, but Sasha is exquisite. I hope to see Kim concentrate more on edges, spirals, line, expression. She has that speed and those jumps, yet I know she can be a better skater. Orser needs to have her working with artists still skating. It seems like people are interested in making her a better CoP skater and planning her jumps. I want to see the butterfly emerge and move my heart. She is already a proven jumper.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I'd love to see Kim do a program choreographed by Sasha Cohen, and work with Cohen. Sasha is not yet working with elite skaters but she (KIM) will never have that outgoing attack Michelle has. They are so very different. How about another great skater with perfect technique to critique and help her become a better skater? Michelle is the competitor of all times and so solid, but Sasha is exquisite. I hope to see Kim concentrate more on edges, spirals, line, expression. She has that speed and those jumps, yet I know she can be a better skater. Orser needs to have her working with artists still skating. It seems like people are interested in making her a better CoP skater and planning her jumps. I want to see the butterfly emerge and move my heart. She is already a proven jumper.

Princess9, I love Sasha (see my username), but she would be the last person I would recommend for Yuna to work with on edges. IMO, Yuna's edges are among the best in the business, and that is what gives her the superior speed. Sasha's edges are extremely shallow, and her technique is not what I would describe as perfect.

Now, as far as line and extensions go, Sasha could school all the current crop of skaters, except Mirai and maybe Mao. Yuna's body type is simply different and she'll never be that flexible, although she's improved a lot in recent years. Sasha is better than Yuna in the extension of her spirals, but Yuna's edge in spirals is far superior to Sasha. If only Yuna could point her toes, her spirals would look much better.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You don't necessarily have to be great at something yourself in order to teach it to somebody else...and vice versa. I've seen RL examples of this...