2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely disagree. It's about what you put out. If you perform those elements with precision and quality, there's no reason why you shouldn't get positive grades of execution. GOEs have already decreased by 30% since Vancouver. I adore Mao, but she doesn't perform her jumps with as much speed or flow as Yu-Na or Carolina.

The more I think about it, the more I think that GOE should be 1 point for a really good jump--with height and good rotation, 0 for a normally good jump and -1 for a two foot or step out. Falls should get -2. Edge calls would be an additional -1. Under-rotations another -1. That would reward excellent jumpers and show more realistically the difference between skaters. A 16 point difference because the jumps were higher or prettier is too much, in my opinion.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
The more I think about it, the more I think that GOE should be 1 point for a really good jump--with height and good rotation, 0 for a normally good jump and -1 for a two foot or step out. Falls should get -2. Edge calls would be an additional -1. Under-rotations another -1. That would reward excellent jumpers and show more realistically the difference between skaters. A 16 point difference because the jumps were higher or prettier is too much, in my opinion.

That would create more Patrick Chans than not, though. It would dampen the lead good jumpers have over less competent ones. Denis Ten would have not been as close to winning Worlds under your system.

hurrah

Medalist
Mao's 3A was '<', 3f '<', 3lz 'e', 2lo'<'
She cleared jump, 3lo+2lo, 2a+3t, 3s, 3f, 2lo
and she got 134.

carolina with 5 triples,
missed at 1lo, 3s<<
she got 131.

I thought overall score has a bit inflation.
I'm the only one who think this way?

Mao's 3A was not under-rotated. Her 3A in both short and free were ratified as fully-rotated, but got negative GOEs because the landing was double-footed. It's amazing that she can consistently double-foot her axel without falling due to her superior air position.

Mao has learnt that it is better to risk double-footing the landing and fully-rotating the jump rather than to 'save' the landing by under-rotating it. I am repeating what I have written earlier, but Mao landed a beautiful, 'sweet' (according to Jeffrey Buttle's tweet) triple-axel that had no under-rotation whatsoever on the landing during the six-minute warmup of her free program. I think she is finally learning to get rid of her under-rotation habit, and hopefully, it will reflect on her other jumps next season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would create more Patrick Chans than not, though. It would dampen the lead good jumpers have over less competent ones. Denis Ten would have not been as close to winning Worlds under your system.

I would have to study the protocols to see if I agree. It's ironic that there were no GOE's under the old system, but the system was often better at rewarding the best skaters. Dennis Ten surely would have won gold under 6.0.

Layfan

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_ax-DB7t4

Gracie Gold.

You know, it wasn't a perfect program, but I think that after a perfect performance at Nationals, I'm glad she was able to get it together and peak enough for a respectable debut at worlds.

Also I do think she had been working on the artistic mark, I can see improvement as far as trying to skate to the music rather than over it. Just compare it to her performance at Jr. Worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV3CUevgUyE

She still work to do, but I think she's making progress..

Also she is a really good spinner. Not Alissa Czisny or Mirai Nagasu good, but she's real fast and has nice positions...

(And I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with any more Gracie crucifixion on the boards...)

P.S. It's also totally amusing that both she AND Max crashed on the boards with their Axels.....man these two are made for each other!

For me who watched it live, Gracie was a stand out. I don't think she has too far to go artistically. She just needs to get under herself a tiny bit, if you know what I mean. Enjoy her performance moments a little more and be into those moments and hold her moves the way Ashley does after working very hard at it. But Gracie has it all, pretty much. Defo about the spins - her spins looked terrific live and of course, she is fast and has huge jumps. It was most exciting. It helped that the crowd was so boisterously for her, of course but still.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I finally have watched the girls on Fuji that my timer recorded. I was very disappointed with Yuna's attitude to the event- formal and cold. Like a factory worker who came, did her shift and left. It's very rude and unprofessional. While her TES score was deservely of the paver who rode all over her rivals, her PCS once again proved that the judging is just a joke. The overdramatic face impression in both progs with absolutely no difference, that she switched on and off automatically with the music start/finish. The same awfully postured legs, knees, shoulders with no elegance and charm. What does her dress have anything to do with 19 century? It's a bought in a Halloween store costume "Mother Capulet at her daughter's funeral". :rolleye:

Cheers to Kanako for good skating. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
while Carolina as always headcase but not that much
she has really grown as an Artist! a real mature lady skater, reminds me of Butyrskaya
lets hope her Olympics chances fair better than Maria's

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally have watched the girls on Fuji that my timer recorded. I was very disappointed with Yuna's attitude to the event- formal and cold. Like a factory worker who came, did her shift and left. It's very rude and unprofessional. While her TES score was deservely of the paver who rode all over her rivals, her PCS once again proved that the judging is just a joke. The overdramatic face impression in both progs with absolutely no difference, that she switched on and off automatically with the music start/finish. The same awfully postured legs, knees, shoulders with no elegance and charm. What does her dress have anything to do with 19 century? It's a bought in a Halloween store costume "Mother Capulet at her daughter's funeral". :rolleye:

LOL! That's harsh, but not totally unwarranted, criticism.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The point is clearly made, though- Yuna WAS very businesslike in her approach and in her skating. Win was definitely deserved but doesn't mean she didn't come across to some as phoning it in.

ordinary person

On the Ice
Also, coaches and judges seem to prefer flesh colored tights in the way the skater looks. To most coaches and judges, it's a more "finished" look

I never knew that about coaches, personally i'd never wear flesh colored tights ever considering it looks like i'm wearing almost nothing down there anyways, but thank you for telling.

cooper

Medalist

http://www.spitefuls.com/images/button_bitterpill.jpg

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yes, let's all criticise Yuna for being professional about her skating.

I think every skater on the podium (and not only) are being professional about their skating. What she accomplished at this competition is amazing but for me she lacked the spark she had before Vancouver. She reached her ultimate goal, the Olympic gold and since then her skating is less inspiring to me. The fact that she can still win with this margin after a break from skating is a testament to how good she is. Her 2009 Worlds LP was worse than what she did here but the emotion was huge, it gave me goosebumps, she left her heart on the ice and it was a magic moment. Just like in Vancouver. Here, not so much. She skated clean but with less emotion and it took away from the performance. She is holding back IMO and it's a shame, she is too good for this. By saying this, I don't mean to take away anything from her skating and performance. I am glad she won and killed the competition, it's always good to see the very best skaters win and not someone else by default.
Mao, Carolina and Kanako were more enjoyable to me in terms of artistic impression. But they still haven't achieved what Yuna did. It's good for the sport that she came back, I just want to see her skate like she did in her Danse Macabre: like she really really wants it, and wants it bad! (the second Olympic title :biggrin:)
I watched Adelina's LP and it was edgy, with mistakes, but she kept herself together. I really felt for her when I saw the relief at the end of the program. The pressure on these girls is cruel and there will be a bloodbath for those 2 spots :no:

Takin' care of business. :rock: That's the ticket, Yu-na. Your facial expression should say to the other ladies, "You showed up to skate against moi? Now why would you want to do a silly thing like that?" ;)

mskater93

Record Breaker
I never knew that about coaches, personally i'd never wear flesh colored tights ever considering it looks like i'm wearing almost nothing down there anyways, but thank you for telling.

Mine does, anyway. He's very particular about it down to OTB or not.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Yu Na Kim was highly deserving an award and it's just so refreshing to see someone who can deliver a program like that in the ladies discipline nowadays. That said, I wish I could enjoy her skating more because I find her whole performance to be lacking outside the excellent jumps.

She's so workmanlike that it's hard to feel any passion for her unless you're a die-hard fan.

I used to loathe Kostner's skating. I thought she actually pretty disgusting to watch in the past, but she's grown so much musically and performance-wise that she's become my favorite ladies skater at the moment. Suzuki is my favorite when it comes to interpretation and performance, but her choreography can be a little empty compare to others and she needs to clean up her positions and speed on her spins a lot. Her jumps aren't of the same quality as Kim's or Kostner's either.

MiRé

Match Penalty

Why can't we be all happy about her win???
If you think her pcs is a joke, look at Mao getting positive GOEs on her two footed Triple Axel. Now THAT'S a joke.
So what if her "overdramatic face impression" turns off after she's done. Do you expect her to live in a happy la la land everyday or something?
Maybe she was pmsing. Who knows.
You think Kanako had a good skating, and criticize Yuna's postures?
OH boy, have you SEEN Kanako's executing techniques?
That similar ugly jump execution that Rachel Flatt does? OH BOY

Bartek

On the Ice
I think every skater on the podium (and not only) are being professional about their skating. What she accomplished at this competition is amazing but for me she lacked the spark she had before Vancouver. She reached her ultimate goal, the Olympic gold and since then her skating is less inspiring to me. The fact that she can still win with this margin after a break from skating is a testament to how good she is. Her 2009 Worlds LP was worse than what she did here but the emotion was huge, it gave me goosebumps, she left her heart on the ice and it was a magic moment. Just like in Vancouver. Here, not so much. She skated clean but with less emotion and it took away from the performance. She is holding back IMO and it's a shame, she is too good for this. By saying this, I don't mean to take away anything from her skating and performance. I am glad she won and killed the competition, it's always good to see the very best skaters win and not someone else by default.
Mao, Carolina and Kanako were more enjoyable to me in terms of artistic impression. But they still haven't achieved what Yuna did. It's good for the sport that she came back, I just want to see her skate like she did in her Danse Macabre: like she really really wants it, and wants it bad! (the second Olympic title :biggrin:)
I watched Adelina's LP and it was edgy, with mistakes, but she kept herself together. I really felt for her when I saw the relief at the end of the program. The pressure on these girls is cruel and there will be a bloodbath for those 2 spots :no:

This is all very subjective. I would say Yu-Na displayed at this Wrolds the same lack of emotion as she did in Vancouver. What she did was rather acting with her facial expression as if somebody (David Wilson?) told her she should do it and her PCS would be higher. On the other hand, I find her 2011 Worlds free skate to be her best effort presention-wise and in terms of projecting emotions; technical mistakes notwithstanding.