2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I though B/L would have scored 70+ and possibly ahead of D/R, wonky SBS 3T included. They looked disappointed.
Larionov only did a 2T. And imo they were slow overall - even if their talent is obvious in some moments. I'd have James/Ciprès in front of them - they're no artists, but all their elements were huge and clean.

i hope V/T will skate their prime best
to shut up the haters
they were underscored in the SP :disapp:
Underscored while getting a new world record. Wow, you're a tough crowd.

This thread may need this. http://www.dramabutton.com/
That is just awesome! :laugh:

Do we know the long program order yet? If S/S go first I think they should ditch the 3 axel and put the pressure on the Russians...if the Germans follow the Russians and the Russians are clean they should go for it.

19:45:00 19:52:00 Warm-Up Group 1
19:52:30 20:00:50 1 ZHANG Felicia / BARTHOLOMAY Nathan USA 14 56.90
20:00:50 20:09:10 2 LAWRENCE Paige / SWIEGERS Rudi CAN 13 58.97
20:09:10 20:17:30 3 DELLA MONICA N / GUARISE M ITA 16 51.64
20:17:30 20:25:50 4 DAVIDOVICH A / KRASNOPOLSKI E ISR 15 53.38
20:25:50 20:32:50 Warm-Up Group 2
20:33:20 20:41:40 5 BERTON Stefania / HOTAREK Ondrej ITA 11 63.57
20:41:40 20:50:00 6 CASTELLI Marissa / SHNAPIR Simon USA 9 67.44
20:50:00 20:58:20 7 JAMES Vanessa / CIPRES Morgan FRA 10 65.36
20:58:20 21:06:40 8 WENDE Maylin / WENDE Daniel GER 12 59.25
21:06:40 21:21:40 Resurfacing of the Ice
21:21:40 21:28:40 Warm-Up Group 3
21:29:10 21:37:30 9 DUHAMEL Meagan / RADFORD Eric CAN 5 72.21
21:37:30 21:45:50 10 MOORE-TOWERS K / MOSCOVITCH D CAN 6 70.92
21:45:50 21:54:10 11 BAZAROVA Vera / LARIONOV Yuri RUS 8 69.66
21:54:10 22:02:30 12 PENG Cheng / ZHANG Hao CHN 7 70.59
22:02:30 22:09:30 Warm-Up Group 4
22:10:00 22:18:40 13 STOLBOVA Ksenia / KLIMOV Fedor RUS 3 75.21
22:18:40 22:27:20 14 VOLOSOZHAR Tatiana / TRANKOV Maxim RUS 1 84.17
22:27:20 22:36:00 15 PANG Qing / TONG Jian CHN 4 73.30
22:36:00 22:44:40 16 SAVCHENKO Aliona / SZOLKOWY Robin GER 2 79.64

This is perfect!!! S/S have the very last word in the competition, and can decide what to do.

Where's that drama button again? :laugh:

dress

On the Ice
I hope all the skaters will perform as well as today. it was a very good day of competition :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Explain plushenko's PCS LOL

Oh, I was being facetious. There is total Russian inflation going on. I mean, look at S/K. Was it really worth 4-5 points higher than their SP at Europeans? Their PCS was almost 2 points higher. They deserve being in 3rd right now, but certainly not higher than 75 points.

It's also astounding that several judges gave V/T a 0.75-1.00 points higher than S/S for skating skills.

I do notice that D/R got the 3rd highest TR scores, so at least they were credited for that.

Not sure if you've seen this, but the protocols are here : http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf .

Pang/Tong's and Duhamel/Radford's two-footed 3twists got tied second highest GOE of the evening. Same as Peng/Zhang who had a clean, gigantic and effortless twist (but then, they don't have the reputation yet and they skated early, I guess?).

I mean P/T's had decent height at least but D/R's doesn't even have that, although it was well controlled. So random.

I'll stop reading before I reach for the razors. Where is that drama button when you need it? ;)

ETA: Third highest, I missed B/L who rightfully got generously rewarded for theirs.

dress

On the Ice
Pang/Tong's and Duhamel/Radford's two-footed 3twists got tied second highest GOE of the evening. Same as Peng/Zhang who had a clean, gigantic and effortless twist (but then, they don't have the reputation yet and they skated early, I guess?).

I mean P/T's had decent height at least but D/R's doesn't even have that, although it was well controlled. So random.

I'll stop reading before I reach for the razors. Where is that drama button when you need it? ;)

right there:
http://www.dramabutton.com/

^ :laugh:

I'm trying to educate myself on death spiral levels. This is what I found below on a usfigureskating page.

Go straight to the source instead: :)
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...ce/isu-judging-system/single-and-pair-skating

How did M-T/M get a level one? Was she not in a "low position"?

Her position was pretty atrocious, IMO. Quite high with her butt sticking out like a sore thumb. It could have been him as well. If you raise your butt very slightly in the pivot position (to regain balance), it won't count either. Shame because everything else about M-T/M's spiral was pretty good.

Larionov only did a 2T. And imo they were slow overall - even if their talent is obvious in some moments. I'd have James/Ciprès in front of them - they're no artists, but all their elements were huge and clean.

All of B/L's non jump elements were fantastic though. I had them mostly on +2s. Their twist and lift were just so strong and effortless.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Stolbova & Klimov :love:
might not go on the podium though.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Oh, I was being facetious. There is total Russian inflation going on. I mean, look at S/K. Was it really worth 4-5 points higher than their SP at Europeans? Their PCS was almost 2 points higher. They deserve being in 3rd right now, but certainly not higher than 75 points.

It's also astounding that several judges gave V/T a 0.75-1.00 points higher than S/S for skating skills.

I do notice that D/R got the 3rd highest TR scores, so at least they were credited for that.

you are seeing what D/R should be scoring not S/K inflation
S/K PCS have steadily been improving since SA
a clean skate LP here can clear 140

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
poor Vera, she still young only 21

Larionov just wont do it for her, well if he retires early
hope she sticks around and gets a better partner, one who isn't much of a truck driver

Andrei Deputat - too short
Vladimir Morozov - well will be an improvement from Larionov

Barazova/Larionov are a couple both on and off the ice, IIRC, so don't expect them to change partners. :p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
poor Vera, she still young only 21

Larionov just wont do it for her, well if he retires early
hope she sticks around and gets a better partner, one who isn't much of a truck driver

Barazova/Larionov are a couple both on and off the ice, IIRC, so don't expect them to change partners. :p
She refused to dump him when she was 15 and he was suspended for doping (cough medicine or whatever) and everyone was pressuring her to do so. They're in it for the long haul.

My main conclusions from the SP: Aliona and Robin are awesome but they will likely not be allowed to win, people shouldn't skate to Masquerade Waltz if they can't be bothered to skate to the beat, Pang and Tong defy belief, S/K are awesome, you can see how Eric Radford really feels that music (no surprise) and Israel finally has a decent pair.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Thanks Ziggy. I did a google search first and couldn't find that so you really helped me out.

Looks like this may be appropriate for the M-T/M level: "If Lady's head (for all death spirals) and/or lowest hip (for inside death spirals) is (are) higher then skating leg knee, the Level cannot be more then 1." She had such a weird position going with her butt sticking up. (Basing this on memory, but pretty sure her hip was above the knee.)

bekalc

Record Breaker
In terms of Aliona's death spiral, it may very well be that they didn't hit all the requirments necessary. Its frankly why you don't debut a program at the Olympics.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Stolbova & Klimov :love:
might not go on the podium though.
I actually disagree: they have a really good chance for me! Their FS has been extremely consistent, and if they skate clean on home ice they can easily score 140+; with their 2-points advantage over P/T (who won't probably land both the sbs jumps cleanly) and exactly 3 points over D/R (who rarely skate a clean FS, and with low GOEs can't score more than 135), it is really unlikely to see any of them beating S/K (the only chance would be S/K bombing)...

gnom

On the Ice
Who would you have first after today's performance? V/T or S/S?

I would have both teams very close. IMO V/T are the better technicians but their programs are kind of generic. S/S are more fun to watch. The German trio is more creative and innovative (though Pink Panther is by far not my favorite program). So I would have S/S over V/T in PE, CH and IN. If it is just up to perfect elements than we could have rather a jump and throw and lift contest. So to me the 4+ points are not really comprehensible.

From the pure entertaining factor my order would be:
Moore-Towers/Moscowitch
Stolbova/Klimov
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Peng/Zhang
James/Cipres
Pang/Tong
Volosozhar/Trankov

elif

Medalist
If only Savchenko/Szolkowy skated at team event. Then they are going to notice same technical panel killed death spiral levels for almost all teams, both short and long team event. I know Germany probably not going to make final but at least they could get good feedback then.:no:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
What a great pairs SP competition! That is why we love the Winter Olympics.

Hope they can keep the same level in the FS tomorrow...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I really loved MT/M and their program. Though not new, it is beautiful. I'd give a point for the kiss in the end. Their music is a waltz, so some more dancing/waltzing should look great. By the way, I like V/T Masquerade program and the way they keep dancing on the music, I almost felt they should also have thrown in some tweezels.
V/T deserve to lead, but not with such a difference. The Germans S/S were very good too. MT/M lost some points with the DS. By no means it was level 1, but Kerstin kept her body/butt a bit too high. Otherwise I see them ahead of D/R.