2014 Olympics Free Dance | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Free Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Great tweets from @ZachTDonohue:

Congratulations to @Meryl_Davis & @CharlieaWhite on #OlympicGold! Well deserved and an inspiration to the future generations! Go #TeamUSA

Congrats to Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir on #Olympic medal #2. Scott, you inspire me to push myself every day. You two are magic! @SkateCanada

We don't really know what question someone in the media had that prompted this response, not to mention, they are understandably disappointed. ...

In the other thread, hyperinflation paraphrased the question that Moir was asked at the press conference, and gave a lot of good context for Moir's measured answer, in which he praised Zoueva and Davis/White:

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Virtue and Moir had more than enough time to make a coaching change if they really felt Marina was not giving them the attention they needed. Wah! Davis and White were beating them consistently for two years! Obviously they were not that unhappy as to change coaches. To mention anything now does sound like sour grapes.

fairly4

Medalist
to me it seem v/m should have won free skate . i saw it on tv. i am american but it seem v/m did a bit better and almost look like at end d/w made a small mistake or something . they hinted at end and it look like it okay. i am not sure what marina said to them . but maybe just in case.

should have v/m won overall know.
did d/w benefit from last skate in short and long/yes. but they skated well.

yes anyone who didn't think they would win i don't know.
like team competition russian scores overmarked julia, undermarked gracie. but hey it olympics politics as usually unless one they had in mine screws up usually wins.

patrick lost due to fact he messed up double axel and spin at end where yuzuru just messed up his beginning jumps otherwise skated well.
patrick struggle on landing throughout/

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Exactly.
I love what the Washington Post said :

Well American and Canadian media tend to have their own biases - y0ou can tell because if youu read or they write enough you can see their lack of knowledge of the sport. But one thing D and W have over V and M no matter what is money. Being ameriicans they will rake in the money unlike v and m.

Venee

Rinkside
Virtue and Moir had more than enough time to make a coaching change if they really felt Marina was not giving them the attention they needed. Wah! Davis and White were beating them consistently for two years! Obviously they were not that unhappy as to change coaches. To mention anything now does sound like sour grapes.

THIS! What is the complaining for anyway. It's as though V&M were shut out of the medals two Olympics in a row! For heavens sake they have an Olympic gold and now a silver. I love how we tell our children winning isn't everything.............

caitie

Medalist
Aw, it was nice although I think I prefer watching them receive their medals in their pretty outfits at the rink! Elena and Nikita looked thrilled, Tessa and Scott were laughing and in good spirits and really cute, Meryl and Charlie still look like they are on cloud 9. Charlie got all teary up on the stand. A lovely podium. <3

bekalc

Record Breaker
I personally don't think it's that hard to understand... people who have children, do you love one child more than another? Where do you find the time and the love to give to each child? Is it equal? Is it fair? Do you have the same discipline or expectations for each of them? Or does it vary depending on the interest and skills that each child has? Come on y'all... obviously, the coaching relationship ebbs and flows depending on what's going on but in the moment when you're focused on one, the other(s) by default can't be #1 in that moment too. Other coaches have said... some people like their hands held, some people don't. Some people like to hear a few words of encouragement before they step on the ice, some people prefer to have you physically standing there at the boards without saying anything. It's not the same and it can't ever be the same. It happens but you juggle it and do your best to guide/advise/support each one as they need.

Except your children aren't normally competiting against each other for Olympic Gold. I think V/M should have left. I think they needed a coach who only wins if they win. And who would have been 100% in their corner and only their corner.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I hate how people hate the Seasons. I think the music was beautiful and really was perfect for V/M. There aren't many Russian composers that sound lyrical like that. It's usually more bombastic. I thought it was a brilliant piece of music and a brilliant program.

Oh my. Don't take my dislike of a song personally. Everyone is allowed their opinion. I don't hate that you love it....lol.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I haven't read the article to which you are referring, but I did see the interview in which this stuff was said and either the article misrepresented it or you are just determined that V/M are sore losers.

Okay, that's fine... I read the article and did not see the video footage so maybe it's a different spin. Here's the article: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/virtue-and-moir-question-commitment-coach-they-share-white-and-davis.

I'm not determined that V/M are sore losers--they skated the best they've skated since (arguably) Vancouver itself and they have nothing to regret! The only other skater who won their silver medal as much as the gold medalist won their gold medal was Michelle Kwan in 1998.

From the linked article:

“Some odd things happened this year that hadn’t happened before,” Moir added, saying that for the “first time [Marina] wasn’t there.” Virtue/Moir said that they felt as though Zoueva was supportive of them going into Vancouver four years ago, then her focus shifted to Davis/White leading up to Sochi.

This starts down the path of what the press has been pouncing for every time the training question was asked. Both teams have been doing evasive manuevers for weeks citing happiness and harmony at home. So, to suddenly actually answer the question after the competition is over (in which the scales did not tip your way) does make the previous evasive manuevers start to stink like a carefully calculated cover-up... as if they agreed to cover it up together in the spirit of the Olympics or whatever reason but as soon as someone got the short end of the stick, they started talking.

I think V/M are better than this. Other posters said it above... Schez reeks of Samson & Delilah and V/M's FD reeks of Mahler. I don't think one team was played over the other but rather, both teams were played to their absolute strengths. V/M had extrememly polarizing feedback on their Carmen FD so they were under huge pressure to "play it safe" this year so they did. Nothing wrong with that if you can do it well and they did. D/W are extremely popular for their dances as characters so they came into Olympic season with more of the same and it also worked for them. If Marina fell short for one team or the other in any capacity, it surely wasn't in their elements cuz both teams tied up level 4s across the board in the FD. So, once again, it comes down to the program and each team's style and it has been reported since much earlier in the season that both teams had heavy contributions toward the programs they developed for these Olympics. Now saying Zoueva was or wasn't there... sounds like they're having a hard time reconciling the silver medal, which is unfortunate because like I said above, they won that silver medal more than some gold medalists won their gold medal (Yuzuru Hanyu).

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Great tweets from @ZachTDonohue:

In the other thread, hyperinflation paraphrased the question that Moir was asked at the press conference, and gave a lot of good context for Moir's measured answer, in which he praised Zoueva and Davis/White:

Golden411 and Hyperinflation - thank you very much for that link. It really does help put everything into perspective.

These are two very no b.s., mature, professional, kind-hearted people. They said what they felt with great respect and consideration for everyone, I thought.

shiba

Spectator
I alluded to this yesterday and don't want to get into a big pile on about it because it's just my opinion, but she counseled Davis and White that they should save Scheherazade for an Olympic competition. This, according to Charlie in an interview with D/W. Why would she do that and not counsel V/M to hold a powerhouse number for the Olympics, as well?

She did.
The free dance to Mahler's 5th Symphony was planned by me two years ago. In the pre-Olympic season, Tessa and Scott performed to Pink Floyd, and that was a special program, put together by me so that in the next season they would shine with their performance to Mahler.
http://www.fanforum.com/48518850-post86.html

Artistry

On the Ice
Is there a place or a thread where I can find the press conference that is being discussed? Or the medal ceremony?

caitie

Medalist
Is there a place or a thread where I can find the press conference that is being discussed? Or the medal ceremony?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1155815/c...irtue-moir-bemoan-sharing-coach-with-us-pair/

As I said in the thread about this in The Edge, I think the answer started out complementary to Marina and honest about what it feels like to train in such a complicated situation (I liked the quote about how his mom is a coach and told him Marina can't win no matter what she does), but then it sort of descended into an airing of grievances with Scott saying "there were some odd things that happened" and talking about Marina marching with the United States athletes (with the Shibs) and not attending Canadian Nationals for the first time. Then he shrugs and says they tried to be mature about it and what are you gonna do. I can see why it generated the headlines it did.

Artistry

On the Ice
http://globalnews.ca/news/1155815/c...irtue-moir-bemoan-sharing-coach-with-us-pair/

As I said in the thread about this in The Edge, I think the answer started out complementary to Marina and honest about what it feels like to train in such a complicated situation (I liked the quote about how his mom is a coach and told him Marina can't win no matter what she does), but then it sort of descended into an airing of grievances with Scott saying "there were some odd things that happened" and talking about Marina marching with the United States athletes (with the Shibs) and not attending Canadian Nationals for the first time. Then he shrugs and says they tried to be mature about it and what are you gonna do. I can see why it generated the headlines it did.

Thank you!
Hmmm... well, it seems they were polite and measured, and perhaps honest. It’s seems like whatever one says in a press conference that is not super generic has the potential to balloon into headlines.
I thought overall they seem fine and not bitter or angry. It does seem odd to me, however, that they would consider it odd that Marina didn’t march with them. Is there a requirement that a coach needs to march with a particular
team, if they coach several teams from different countries? Don’t think so. So, it seems fair that Marina mixes it up from one Olympics to the next...

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why both top teams made the coaching switch, didn't V/M and D/W used to skate for Schpilband?

tjskate

Rinkside
I must disagree with you. Have you ever looked at a judge's scoring sheet and tried to understand all the technical details they are judging? Just because there are no jumps in the program, it does not mean there are not required elements, edges, turns, handholds, lifts, and spins to understand in detail, not to mention speed, unison, closeness, etc. All of these are NOT subjective, they are judged by people who are volunteers, have dedicated years to learning the sport, and who have reached this level though a lot of work and love for the sport. Before saying "ice dancing is not a sport", try it, or at least try to understand the way it is scored. Plus, would you include all the snowboarding and ski jumping in the "not a sport" classification? They also are judged on form, etc.