Saturday Night Live Korea Parodies Adelina | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Saturday Night Live Korea Parodies Adelina

Jump

Rinkside
I thought it was kind of funny. The tone of the whole thing was light hearted. I'm wondering how many of the same people that laugh at this could laugh if the Russians were to do a similar segment at the expense of Yuna.

I guess it would depend on how well it was done. SNL clip is even funnier if you understand Korean. Some of the subtle language humor is lost in translation.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I didn't think it was particularly funny...but I don't think it was terribly offensive to Adelina, either...sketch shows like that make fun of people all the team. lol, what does Adelina care, anyway? The results are in and the medal is hers to keep.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
It's Saturday Night Live. They can make fun of anything.

Yeah, anyone in the public eye can get joked about on SNL. As far as their jokes go, this isn't any more "mean" than most celebrity jokes or parodies (arguably it's pretty tame). If this is unacceptable, well, so is most of SNL and other shows like it. Come on.

There's also a difference between say, viciously attacking Adelina on her personal social media page and making a joke about her win on TV, which isn't hers and which she doesn't have to pay attention to.

I remember when Nancy Kerrigan hosted SNL, they had an actress dressed in Oksana Baiul's swan suit crying in the audience the way Oksana was crying at the Olympics. I think in the show she was supposed to be crying because she didn't understand English? I laughed at that.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I cannot believe so many of you thought it's funny. I seriously want to puke when I was watching this and had to stop.
I don't agree with Adelina's gold medal, but this video shows very very baaad taste, and from a rhetorical point of view, it's not even a parody. The disgusting person who is meant to be Adelina does not resemble Adelina in the slightest way, and therefore, this whole "parody" fails to persuade, unless you want to your dislike of Adelina took over your rational mind.

Parodies are all over American TV, and the ones I saw are much much better than this.

ranjake

Final Flight
I must be a terrible person. I agree with every point you make, every single point, and I even support Adelina as legit OGM.

And yet I still laughed.

Very mean, but yes-funny. I had no idea there was a South Korean SNL!

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Not funny and downright disgusting. The Koreans are making fools of themselves. Wonder if they would have thought this was funny if someone made one about Yuna like this.

AC96

Rinkside
Not funny and downright disgusting. The Koreans are making fools of themselves. Wonder if they would have thought this was funny if someone made one about Yuna like this.

What reason would people have to perform a parody skit of Yuna? The reason this exists in the first place was due to blatant score inflation and a dubious win, which Yuna has had few of (if any) in her career.

From the looks of this thread, a healthy proportion of people (including Adelina fans) found this humorous.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What reason would people have to perform a parody skit of Yuna? The reason this exists in the first place was due to blatant score inflation and a dubious win, which Yuna has had few of (if any) in her career.

Are you serious?

AC96

Rinkside
Are you serious?

Quite serious. I'm a Yuna fan, but not a Yuna uber, and I try to maintain an objective perspective on everything. Throughout her career Yuna has behaved with a lot of class and dignity and her wins are not controversial to my knowledge, so I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Too much drama, it's only a tv show. I think in every country there are tv shows like this which are supposed to make people laugh. I can refer to the tv shows in my country...some of them are humorous and entertaining, others are almost grotesque, but you always have the option to change the channel..
The media shows what people want to see and now that's what the Koreans want to see. They don't have hundreds of olympic figure skating champions (like the Russians) and it's something amazing for them that they have(don't want do use the past tense) one of the best skaters ever. And they think (and I think and lots of people think, but let's resume to 'they') Yuna deserved to win and maybe it is better for them to express their disappointment through funny tv shows. I see nothing wrong here, what's "funny" is very relative.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Not really funny. Rather tasteless, I would say. But after all, it's SNL, and to expect a good parody was stupid.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going there. I'm a Yuna/Yulia fan and I could make parodies for both. To be clear ... they made fun of Adelina, not the judges!! That's like me holding Yuna who is one of the classiest and respectful ladies ever responsible for the things some of her fans here post about Adelina. Right? I still love Yuna in spite of them!

They should have had Yuna play Adelina and a bunch of little kids picking on her and saying mean things. While I wasn't offended by this SNL skit I think picking on two sides is always more fun;) Alright I went there.:slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not going there. I'm a Yuna/Yulia fan and I could make parodies for both. To be clear ... they made fun of Adelina, not the judges!! That's like me holding Yuna who is one of the classiest and respectful ladies ever responsible for the things some of her fans here post about Adelina. Right? I still love Yuna in spite of them!

They should have had Yuna play Adelina and a bunch of little kids picking on her and saying mean things. While I wasn't offended by this SNL skit I think picking on two sides is always more fun;)

Well they did call Yuna a robot!

qwertyskates

Medalist
The skit is a childish tantrum, not funny at all, and reflects badly on the TV station and its audience. Imagine Canada making a skit about D&W, V&M and Zoueva, using unattractive actors and implying Zoueva and the judges were complicit in robbing V&M of their OGM, etc. What would Americans make of this? First thought that comes to mind is "sore losers"...

wootie

Match Penalty
Well, I think the magnitude of blatant corruption that underlies Adelina's "win" is what makes the whole fiasco ripe for parody. It's one thing for a dubious win to be iffy and shrouded in secrecy. But let's face it...the Russians didn't really even pretend to hide what was going on (LOVE that pic of the Russian judge hugging and celebrating with Adelina a few minutes after handing her the gold medal). I mean, come on!

Anyway, the skit could have been funnier. But it's not inappropriate to lambast something that is flagrantly absurd.