Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 178 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

channah

Rinkside
I saw the post on tumblr and got curious. There is a new interesting interview with Yuzu which starts at 4:23. He says about his future plans and goals as well as gives a special message for children. He talked so kindly and touchingly, I wish we had translation. If someone can translate, please help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyID55LGh0

Hello AlexSaytor
Here is the translation of the clip you wanted. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyID55LGh0
This is a translation of the interview from the FNN news station in Sendai that Yuzuru gave just after the parade.
N=Narrator / Y= Yuzuru / MA= Male Announcer / FA= Female Announcer

N: Immediately after the victory parade, Yuzuru Hanyu came to the studio for an interview. He talked about his thoughts and feelings and also gave words of advice for young children.
Studio
MA: Ahh, thank you and hello.
Y: Hello.
MA: Excuse us for making you come here. Congratulations.
Y: Thank you very much.
Video clip
N: The victory parade has just this moment finished and he is giving his impressions of it to the Sendai TV station.
Studio
MA: During the parade you were able to look at Sendai from a position of height, this is a different perspective than usual. Did it look different to you?
Y: Yes. I saw so many people from Sendai city and people who had travelled from far away. I had no idea that so many people would gather for the parade. Actually when they told me about just how many people were there I was very surprised. But, actually seeing it with my own eyes I really felt that I was supported by them.
Video clip
N: The Torino gold medallist women’s figure skater Arakawa Shizuka is from Sendai. Here we see Hanyu practicing in the same rink that Arakawa Shizuka used. He was always following in her footsteps.
Studio
MA: In 2006 there was also a victory parade here for Arakawa Shizuka, did you watch it?
Y: I wasn’t actually able to be there but I watched it on TV and read about it in the newspapers. To tell the truth, around the time of the Torino Olympics I was in the class of skater that was not even in the Juniors. I was in the group below the Novice class which is the lowest skating category. I never imagined that in 8 years I would be in this position.
MA: Is that so?
Video clip
N: Hanuy was born in Sendai in Shizumi Ward and started skating when he was 4 years old.
Y: (as a young boy (11 years old) walking on the street) Since I was in kindergarten I haven’t been able to play very much. But for me skating is the most enjoyable thing, so even though I don’t play (with other kids) it is fine with me.
FA: What is your goal?
Y: (as a young boy) I want to win the Olympics.
FA: You want to do it as a person from Miyagi prefecture?
Y: Yes. In the Olympics, Japanese men have not yet won so I want both a male and female gold medal winner to be from Miyagi prefecture.
FA: If it happens, how many years will it take?
Y: 19. I’ll be 19. Wow 19. I’ll nearly be 20 (meaning I’ll almost be an adult)
Studio
MA: When you think back to when you were a young boy, was winning the Olympics just a dream or was it something you were really aiming for in reality?
Y: Of course it was a dream. Even at this moment I still don’t think I have woken up from this dream. But, as the actual Olympic games got closer and closer, and I was given a spot on the Olympic team, at that time I didn’t think of it as “The Olympics” I just approached it as the next completion that was in front of me. And making it just the next one (competition) I concentrated on it just as the next competition. When I think on it now, just after having been given a victory parade, and having had the gold medal placed around my neck, I wonder, how and when I won the gold medal. It feels a little strange.
MA: Ahh, so you still feel it is a little strange, even now?
Y: Yes.
MA: I know that you have had hard struggles with a lot of things. What are the things that you have struggled with? Are there things you have wavered on?
Y: I have wavered on many many things. (He literally says “I’m a total waverer”). To tell the truth, I wanted to give up skating countless times. I even had a time when I didn’t like skating. However, I lost my rink twice. The first time the rink closed I thought I would no longer be able to practice. The second time was more about just the difficulties of trying to live everyday given the terrible conditions after the disaster. At those times I was very shaky and wavering about what to do.
Video clip
N: 2004…The ice rink where Hanyu practice closed down for economic reasons. However, after that, thanks to the efforts of Arakawa Shizuka it was reopened. In 2011, after the disaster, once again Hanyu’s rink was closed and he had nowhere to practice. He was able to overcome these extreme difficulties and win an Olympic gold medal. Hanyu said that he noticed something from overcoming these things…..
Studio
Y: Having personally experienced the earthquake, I noticed that I was very much held up and supported by a great many people. In addition, I travelled all over the country performing in ice shows and I was supported and cheered for by those people, too. Ahh, even those people (from far away = not my home) supported and cheered for me. I realised that I should be very thankful for that. I had that feeling very strongly. I know the feeling of being thankful is not only because of the disaster, but it is a feeling that none of us should ever forget. From that we have to make efforts to learn from these experience and learn from God and nature about how to live.
Video clip
N: In Sendai, his big dream was born, and he was able to make it into a reality.
Studio
MA: Do you have a message for the children of Miyagi prefecture?
Y: Hmmm Well, having a dream is a good thing. You can set a goal and do your best to work towards it. Also, just having and keeping a goal or purpose it a good thing. I think the most important thing is to think “I have a dream. Or I want to have a dream”. But just having a dream isn’t the end of it. You have to look for ways to improve yourself. Try to make yourself grow. That’s what I want the children to know.
MA: Oh, really?
Video clip
Now we are really interested in what Hanyu is planning and thinking about for the future? What is his next goal?
Y: I am still on the road to my dream. The thing I want to do can only happen after the next Olympics in Korea. After that, just like Arakawa, I want to do some charity work and support people. I also want to become a coach, and when I am a coach I want to help advance the figure skating in Japan. That is my ultimate goal. From this moment on I need to do my very best to leave good results in competitions to be strong enough to do what I want in the end.
MA: Thank you very much.
Y: Thank you
Main studio + video clips
MA: In addition to what we just heard him say, I asked him if he thinks Sendai is special, or if Miyagi is a special place? But he said actually, he doesn’t think of Sendai like that. He said that he grew up in a regular way, in a regular environment and that even though he is here again now, it feels normal. That was very interesting for me to hear.
Personally speaking, I have been covering the progress of Hanyu since he was a boy and I always thought he was tough. We see him here holding a boom mic and I remember that scence.
The Hanyu that we see here today had his own clear ideas and is able to tell us his thoughts and feeling using his own words in his own way. He is a truly excellent young man. He said that he is still on the road to his dream and that he wants to continue to work towards achieving that dream.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks channah for this translation! I'm glad to know (and not at all surprised) that Yuzuru wants to coach and elevate figure skating in Japan (his "ultimate goal") after his competitive career as this is the best way to "pay forward" all the help and support the people of Japan have given him. I'm sure he'll put his whole heart and soul into coaching as he does in all things.

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
Hello AlexSaytor
Here is the translation of the clip you wanted. Enjoy.
Personally speaking, I have been covering the progress of Hanyu since he was a boy and I always thought he was tough. We see him here holding a boom mic and I remember that scence.

Thank you very much for your efforts! Great interview for sure. I am happy that he will become a coach. He must be a great coach in the future.
There is one moment I don't understand, even if it's not important. What did the man mean when he said "he was tough"?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Y: I am still on the road to my dream. The thing I want to do can only happen after the next Olympics in Korea. After that, just like Arakawa, I want to do some charity work and support people. I also want to become a coach, and when I am a coach I want to help advance the figure skating in Japan. That is my ultimate goal. From this moment on I need to do my very best to leave good results in competitions to be strong enough to do what I want in the end.
Is this the first time that Yuzuru saids he wants to coach?

Thank you channah :D

What did the man mean when he said "he was tough"?
I think he means he is strong person

channah

Rinkside
Thank you very much for your efforts! Great interview for sure. I am happy that he will become a coach. He must be a great coach in the future.
There is one moment I don't understand, even if it's not important. What did the man mean when he said "he was tough"?

Hi AlexSaytor
The announcer meant that he was a tough / strong little kid.

Kalina

On the Ice

SuzyQ

Medalist
Hi AlexSaytor
The announcer meant that he was a tough / strong little kid.

Sorry to interrupt.

The announcer said, "kodomono korono mujakina sugata ga (ko mic mottarine) doshitemo tsuyoku insho ni nokotte iru."

I think it means "his carefree and innocent air when he was a boy still strongly impressed on my mind, you know, like holding a mic this way." "But, Hanyu senshu we see here today, ...."

Glad if it could be of some help :)

channah

Rinkside
Sorry to interrupt.

The announcer said, "kodomono korono mujakina sugata ga (ko mic mottarine) doshitemo tsuyoku insho ni nokotte iru."

I think it means "his carefree and innocent air when he was a boy still strongly impressed on my mind, you know, like holding a mic this way." "But, Hanyu senshu we see here today, ...."

Glad if it could be of some help :)

Thanks SuzyQ

echotpe

On the Ice
http://link.brightcove.co.jp/servic...C6qmb3e2ESD6OcDHNQJ4sjsu5q&bctid=816162789002

Here is a translation of Yuzuru’s victory speech before the parade.
“... Also, in the Tohoku area there was only one ice rink, that was Ice Rink Sendai and that was the place where I used to practice. ”

@ channah
Thank your effort in translation. It is really a good stuff to read this young man and his intention to give back in hometown.

As an Olympics champion, Yuzu tried to promote the implementation of an all year round ice rink located in Sendai with efforts in any way.

Firstly, I saw he talked the kind of demand in official invitation to Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), the day he came back from Sochi. And then he mentioned again in the speech of JOC ceremony for winning the best athlete of year. (It is another occasion that high executive officers of MEXT attended) :thumbsup:

After parade, he stated more why the important of all year round ice rink needed.

According to Yuzu, if there is an all year round ice rink nearby, children might have a chance to practice and find out their interest in skating, and the parents might be willing to afford the skate learning (in time and money). Thus, the skating population will increase, and any talented children might be not hidden.

Sendai Ice Rink, Yuzu used to practice, is private-held and just opens from spring to autumn.

By the way, the balance of parade is around 8 million yen. The chief officer of Miyagi stated today the amount would be used for children skating fund as Yuzu wishes. Glad to see things go in the right direction!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Once again thank you for all the info, echotpe! :points:

That's so nice to hear. I'm glad the kid gets his wish and is able to give something back to those who have supported him in the past. Well, you know, besides the joy and happiness he had brought to so many people already <3 Obviously. But I'm guessing he was also thinking about something more concrete than bringing a fleeting smile to people's faces :) not that I wouldn't appreciate that very much as well.

echotpe

On the Ice
@Pamina,

You are welcome! :eek::

I like Yuzu's skating performance in all (especially in jumps :p). And I am also very interested in his "what to say & how to do". Keep to observe the young man is a pleasant thing in my working day!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Sharing a video with you guys ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyIcePQBzcc
It's touching to see Yuzuru and his therapist hugging together. :cry: I can sense his fatherly love towards Yuzuru.
It would be nice if we can see Nanami Abe as well.

Thanks for the video link rainingstar! Truly "it takes a village" (Sendai in this case) to produce an Olympic gold medalist. I was happy to see Toshinobu Yoshida and his shop named Nice where Yuzuru still has his skating blades sharpened. I also wish that Toshinobu's wife Nanami Abe was also interviewed for undoubtedly she played a large part in Yuzuru's success. Thanks to mikaboo's information over at the Team Japan thread, I learned that the name of the white-haired gentleman (Yuzuru's therapist as you described him) is Akira Kikuchi and that he is per mikaboo, "a bonesetter (接骨師) from Sendai. Kind of like a chiropractor I think." Like you, I was moved by his and Yuzuru's heartfelt hug and by his tears at Yuzuru's Olympic triumph.

@echotpe: Thanks for updating us about Yuzuru's efforts for Sendai: helping promote tourism and now advocating for an all year round ice rink so that, in his words as you translated, "children might have a chance to practice and find out their interest in skating, and ..any talented children might be not hidden." I think Yuzuru was looking back on his own experience. Had he not lived so near the rink, he may have been "lost" to other sports, and we his fans would not have the pleasure of watching him skate.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Channah thanks for the translation ^^. Certainly I've never imagined Yuzu as a coach before :popcorn:

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Only a casual fan here, but the new rules sound like the tech panel is going to be very strict. Will be interesting to see impact for the coming seasons.

On a lighter note, I'm sure you all have seen these clips from the Olympics where Yuzuru realizes he's in 1st place (presumably after Patrick Chan's skate). He expresses himself in English quite well.

Y: KATTA! (said in disbelief)
Y: Oh my god!
Man: You're the first
Y: I'm first?
Y: I'm the first?
People: Yes, yes
Y: Oh my god! Oh my god! Okay. Oh. I was so surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqc3NpsCh80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP6fF3Fms3Y

Windy

Rinkside
Yuzu as a coach? Just imagine him teaching his pupils jumping technical: :laugh:

"How to do a quad loop? You just go shoo-!"
"A triple axel? It's like crashing into a wall!"

jimeonji

Final Flight
guys question! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kot7Vkpy8og&feature=youtube_gdata_player

this is the vid where you'll see yuzu jumping his axel on a stand still. but i heard the reporter say it was a 4 rotation jump? isnt an axel a 3.5 rotations? does it mean he rotated it 4 times on a stand still?? :eek: or was the reporter talking about another jump rather than what he was doing?
He's definitely only doing a triple axel with 3.5 rotations (in fact, if I remember correctly, the rotation was a tiny bit short on the 3a from standstill - maybe 3.25 or 3.3 ish). I'm at school so I can't watch videos at the moment. ;)