2014 Japan Open | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2014 Japan Open

Ophelia

Record Breaker
:bow: at Radianova. As someone previously said, that girl could sell ice to an Eskimo. Her musical interpretation and expressive skills are second to none.

shine

Record Breaker
I cannot find a final standing and score report. I am so happy to see both Radionova and Anna did very well, while I am a little disappointed at Maria Sotskova and Alexandra's performance on the junior circle.
I love Anna's dress, hair and interpretation. Can anyone explain why Anna scored much lower than Satoko? Anna had a single axel, but the GOE for most of her jumps should be high, which is the opposite of Satoko's. I thought Anna also improved her spins and overall had a much stronger presence than Satoko. Wonder how much of the gap is related to the competition being hosted by Japan.
Or instead, maybe it's because Miyahara is just light years ahead in terms of musicality, presentation and maturity? I thought it was about time the judges marked her for what she actually does on the ice instead of how she looks (about 10) on the ice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Or instead, maybe it's because Miyahara is just light years ahead in terms of musicality, presentation and maturity? I thought it was about time the judges marked her for what she actually does on the ice instead of how she looks (about 10) on the ice.

Miyahara is a new discovery for me as I watched her for the first time. What a beautiful skater, especially after watching all the frantic skating by the Russian girls, who are extremely talented and nimbly athletic but have still to cultivate maturity and sophistication. Yet Satoko is so very young too. Impressed and love her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Finally watched the ladies. Beautiful skating by Satoko! Her program and Patrick's program were my favorites.

Selene

On the Ice
at Radianova. As someone previously said, that girl could sell ice to an Eskimo. Her musical interpretation and expressive skills are second to none.

Really? She always has the same look of joy on her face no matter what music is playing in the background. And her choreographic sequence really highlighted how rushed her movements are.

Her presentation is very juniorish, imo. She is great technically, but I'm not sure those jumps can survive puberty.

MizukiS

Rinkside
Miyahara is a new discovery for me as I watched her for the first time. What a beautiful skater, especially after watching all the frantic skating by the Russian girls, who are extremely talented and nimbly athletic but have still to cultivate maturity and sophistication. Yet Satoko is so very young too. Impressed and love her.

I agree with this. I enjoyed watching Satoko. She has the gracefulness and a bit more finesse in her moves. Seems she's getting consistent as well. Hope she does well in the GP. She definitely has what it takes to challenge the more senior skaters.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? She always has the same look of joy on her face no matter what music is playing in the background. And her choreographic sequence really highlighted how rushed her movements are.

Her presentation is very juniorish, imo. She is great technically, but I'm not sure those jumps can survive puberty.

I agree, somewhat. She is definitely better on the technical side. But she does have a definite presence on the ice. I'm not sure this music brought it out, however, especially when her presentation is compared to Michelle Kwan's iconic short program to these same cuts of music (Rachmaninoff Piano Trio and 3rd Concerto).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US Ladies had better improve this year or they are going to be left in the dust. Polina has a real chance to be number 1 at the end of the GP season if Gracie and Ashley don't get it together.

Number 1 in the US, maybe, but far behind internationally. I think Anna Pogo's Firebird, Russian number 4 or 5, is much better than Polina's pink poodle Peter Pan program. And those two are around the same age, aren't they? Polina won't get a 136 or whatever she got at the SL competition with that skate on the GP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Satoko surely knows how to leave a lasting impression. For her last element she did her combination spin anticlockwise, hopped over and starting spinning clockwise to end the program! WOW.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I've been watching both Elene and Satoko since they came out on the junior circle, and I still cannot fully appreciate Satoko due to her tiny jumps. Even Yulia's "small jumps" are much better. Sadly I have to say she is the no. 1 lady of Japan for the years to come, and her score will benefit from being the no. 1 of Japanese lady. As long as she does not have ur issues, she is better than the junior Japanese ladies behind her, and the senior Japanese ladies ahead of her, unless Mao returns.

unico

Final Flight
Miyahara is very polished for her age. I think she reminds me a bit of Suzuki in the way she uses her arms all the way down to the tip of her fingers (although she doesn't have as much projection as her). She holds her positions and allows the viewers to savour each position instead of rushing frantically through them, soooo impressive. I have reservations about the second half of the program when the vocals kick in though.

I like Radionova's energy and expressiveness, but I don't think she deserves to be 4 points in PCS ahead of Miyahara (64.25 vs 60.16). I just want to nitpick and tell her to stop skating with her shoulders hunched up to her ears! :p

Barb

Record Breaker
Number 1 in the US, maybe, but far behind internationally. I think Anna Pogo's Firebird, Russian number 4 or 5, is much better than Polina's pink poodle Peter Pan program. And those two are around the same age, aren't they? Polina won't get a 136 or whatever she got at the SL competition with that skate on the GP.

I think Polina´s program is better than Firebird, and Polina is more refined than Anna, technically both are great, though Polina has better spins.

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Late to the party but:
Finally Taka skating something resembling his exhibitions; it'll be loads better when he manages to be clean.
Verner:pro is such a good look on him; he's nice to watch when he doesn't look like the weight of the world is dragging him down.
JBut =)

Fernandez:bang: but he must be popping the Ltz or Flip a lot in practice for them to consider it less likely for him to mess up the 4S; if its just stamina surely he could do the 3Lo last. And I don't think he has a lipping problem? does he? Maybe he'll go for a different layout later on in the season. Twice so close together is a pattern after all. Even without changing he could at least try not to zayak. :sarcasm: is this like the if your good at chaplin and jumps curse?

On a more positive note: this is a great program for him and different from what he usually does but still remaining true to his style. and coupled with black betty it'll be a great range.

Mura: :/ I like watching him, and I loved his programs last season cuz they suited him well; he could perform them nicely. I was hoping this shiz would improve(since the last comp) but I really don't think it suits him well; but it's early season yet. the choreo is a bleh though. on plus note he looks nice in the suit costume.

PChiddy: I've no clue what he did at the beginning because I got distracted :eek:: I don't even like him :scowl: stupid costume; silly engine.:eek::
Awwww he looked so happy when he landed the 3A. it was like a 'duh there's no reason to worry' expression.
Is it just me or is he not trying as hard for the PCS with this program?
Still trying to improve his artistry though, which is great. I'm glad he's coming back next season. I don't know if its like Stockholm syndrome but it just wouldn't be the same without him. I need someone to love/hate and Kovtun just doesn't cut it.

Kana: interestingcostume; didn't really like the program; and random music cuts but I like her skating but there are like three 5 second bits of choreo I like :/
Ashley was nice to watch; Elena was great; Satoko get it! (watching them after Ashley was so weird though; you don't notice how tiny they are when it's all juniors)

samson

Medalist
Oh man. I just watched Radianova's program. I'm a fan of hers... and she skated really well... but... the music. She used the same music with the exact same cuts as Michelle (save for the middle part to make this a long program) and even does her a spiral at the exact same moment Michelle did. I feel like I'm gonna get some weird form of PTSD every time I watch this program - where I'll be tricked in going through the emotional journey Michelle took me on in '98 and again in '02.

I have so many questions. Do Michelle and Lori know what's happening? Has Elena even made the necessary pilgrimage to the East West Ice Palace, and offered her indulgences before the velvet blue slip dress? Did Danny and Karen perform the correct Sacraments before she stepped on the ice? Did she at least go to confessional with the ABC commentating team of Uncle Dick, Peggy and Terry so that she be will absolved of all her skating sins, before wearing the Holy Veil of Rach?

I feel like I should add a disclaimer that I am (sort of) kidding. ;)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Her jumps seem to be holding up fine so far. I say enjoy it while we can. If by chance she does lose her jumps in the next few years (though I don't think it will happen), at least she will have made a major splash on the senior stage. :)

I don't think Elena is as refined and polished as some of the other seniors but what she lacks in those areas she more than makes up for performance IMO. She has a wonderful ability to capture the mood and feel of music. She's a gifted performer, a natural with an amazing ability to connect and project.

I find her absolutely remarkable. No other skater competing today has that kind of magnetic pull for me, to the point that even if I don't like her program I still love watching her skate. I can't say that for anyone else...

AprilS

On the Ice
Late to the party but:

Fernandez:bang: but he must be popping the Ltz or Flip a lot in practice for them to consider it less likely for him to mess up the 4S; if its just stamina surely he could do the 3Lo last. And I don't think he has a lipping problem? does he? Maybe he'll go for a different layout later on in the season. Twice so close together is a pattern after all. Even without changing he could at least try not to zayak. :sarcasm: is this like the if your good at chaplin and jumps curse?

PChiddy: I'm glad he's coming back next season. I don't know if its like Stockholm syndrome but it just wouldn't be the same without him. I need someone to love/hate and Kovtun just doesn't cut it.

Omg, I can't. :laugh:

(sorry had to cut up parts of your post due to the emoticon limit)

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Polish and presentation are separate
from musical interpretation. Radionova BREATHES her music. You could mute the soundtrack in the background and I would still be able to feel the music from the nuances in her movements. She's raw, but much more captivating to watch than a mature, polished skater who half connects to the music. It's much more difficult to work on gaining musical connectivity than it is to polish up your moves. The former is innate, the latter can be learned through experience and time.