Any Sasha updates? | Page 95 | Golden Skate

Any Sasha updates?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Sasha's position might feel a little strange for her. Usually, after she is (relatively) clean after the SP she is 1st. I hope Sasha is happy. What she did after four years out was phenomenal. But I think she might be a little surprised that Mirai beat her :) Will that be a good thing or a bad thing for Sasha?

Sasha doesn't really know Mirai, she wasn't around during Sasha's heyday. And Mirai has kind of reinvented herself, she looks so much different than she did when she was 13-14 and her jump technique has gotten so much better too. She is a lot more athletic now whereas before she was just a cutesy jumping bean.

Sasha in 2nd...I don't know, it might mean she wants it too much and will falter, but then again she seems super confident so she might go out there and skate clean. I have no idea what to expect from her, though I am a little annoyed that she might end up taking the Olympic spot of Mirai, Rachael, or Ashley to go to her 3rd Olympics. She's already gone to two, the other girls have gone to none, it's their turn. But I guess if she wins a spot fair and square then it's understandable.

I'm a little worried for Mirai skating last but she isn't one to fall a lot so that's reassuring. Plus she's done this all before.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I think the top six skate in reverse order, meaning the last four with be Ashley, Rachael, Sasha, Mirai.

NEVER MIND, R.D. is right...
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html
REALLY hope this bodes well for Mirai not having to skate after Sasha, but Rachael could deliver a spectacular long ala SA...
Just to clarify skate order (not 100% sure, but I think this is how it goes):

Grand Prix Events: Free skate order is in reverse order of standings. However, Canadian Nationals also follows this.
US Nationals: In the final group: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draw for 4th, 5th, and 6th skate order in the final group. 4th, 5th, and 6th draw for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the final group. Using the top 6 men and ladies:
  • Jeremy - 1st after short, last in final group.
  • Evan - 2nd after short, 4th in final group.
  • Johnny - 3rd after short, 4th in final group.
  • Adam - 4th after short, 2nd in final group
  • Armin - 5th after short, 3rd in final group
  • Ryan - 6th after short, 1st in final group

• Mirai - 1st after short, 6th in final flight
  • Sasha - 2nd after short, 4th in final flight
  • Rachael - 3rd after short, 5th in final flight
  • Ashley - 4th after short, 3rd in final flight
  • Christina - 5th after short, 2nd in final flight
  • Amanda - 6th after short, 1st in final flight
Worlds and Olympics: Top 6 draw for order in the group. Skater in first can skate anywhere. In the ladies at 2009 Worlds, Joannie was 2nd after the short and skated 2nd in the final flight after Mao (4th). Miki was the 3rd skater (3rd after short). Can't remember skate order (4th and 5th in flight) of next two skater Yu-Na (1st) and Carolina (5th), but the last skater was Laura Lepisto (6th).

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I think Sasha will have to earn her spot. Luckily for her, she does not have to work on her presentation. 4 years of touring seems to have sealed that deal. The days of waiting your turn are slowly going away and I am glad. This is a sport and may the best skater of the day win. I dont seem to hear as many people upset that Pleshenko has come back and he is taking someones spot for sure!!!!!

Go Sasha and Ashley!!!!

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Did anybody else get spooked when Sasha reached down and starting playing with her boot lace?

Usually when I see that good things do not follow. :p

But I was so happy to see her skate well last night.
Whatever happens in the LP Sasha showed she is still the most stylish of skaters. :love: :clap:

It freaked me out!!! She did it in the warmup too.
Dressed to the nines as always:clap:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a quote from Sasha I just read from an IN article:

"I've been to two Olympics, and I would love to go a third time, but it's not the end-all of my life. I hope I do make the team, but for me the accomplishment is being here."

I have to admit I was happy for Sasha last night. I don't think I have seen her looking so nervous - and in fact I was pretty nervous myself.

But it was fun to feel so excited about skating and I think like Sasha, I will be more relaxed during the LP's.

I enjoyed the SP's last night and whatever anyone thinks about Sasha and her comeback she DID make last night more memorable.

Good luck tomorrow to Sasha and all of the Ladies. :clap: :rock:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Just have to say....

Why did NBC keep showing Sasha dragging around her suitcase backstage during last night's telecast??? :rofl: :chorus: :laugh:

I know - she's actually in the building, waiting to skate after being away for 4 years!!! The anticipation. Will she really get out on the ice??? If she makes the Olympic team, I'm sure they will be doing more of the same!! Here she is leaving the Olympic village with her suitcase and getting on the bus to go to the practice rink!! And here she is arriving at the rink, getting off the bus with her suitcase!!! Here she is on the way to the ice with her suitcase!!! :rofl: :chorus: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Sasha's position might feel a little strange for her. Usually, after she is (relatively) clean after the SP she is 1st. I hope Sasha is happy. What she did after four years out was phenomenal. But I think she might be a little surprised that Mirai beat her :) Will that be a good thing or a bad thing for Sasha?

Well, it's her first time back in FOUR years, after all. If she really thought she would blow the field away then she'd quickly have another think coming...

Anyway, it may actually be better for her nerves-wise that she is not the official leader, even though she is barely a quarter point behind the leader. I mean, Nagasu was 1st for crying out loud and the buzz was all about "Cohen's spectacular short program." Talk about being overshadowed...That said, I suppose it's not her fault. It's the media, hungry for a star to hype at the Olympics.

She skates before Flatt and Nagasu so she has a chance to set the bar high and really put the pressure on those two to deliver...although Flatt seems to do well under pressure.

Nadine

Record Breaker
willing to pay for two tickets to the us nationals ladies final tomorrow! Please contact me asap or on here. Thank you!

Well, I have to say, when Sasha first announced her comeback last spring I gave it about a 50-50 chance that we would see her compete at all.

Then when she skipped Tropee Eric Bompard, that dropped to 25%. Then when Skate America came and went, 12.5%. And when we didn't hear a peep about practices, no videos, no sightings, I thought 6.25% odds were pretty generous. :laugh:

So all I can say to Sasha is :bow::bow::bow:

Even if she finishes last in the LP tomorrow, :bow::bow::bow: just the same. :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just have to say....

Why did NBC keep showing Sasha dragging around her suitcase backstage during last night's telecast??? :rofl: :chorus: :laugh:

I know - she's actually in the building, waiting to skate after being away for 4 years!!! The anticipation. Will she really get out on the ice??? If she makes the Olympic team, I'm sure they will be doing more of the same!! Here she is leaving the Olympic village with her suitcase and getting on the bus to go to the practice rink!! And here she is arriving at the rink, getting off the bus with her suitcase!!! Here she is on the way to the ice with her suitcase!!! :rofl: :chorus: :laugh:

I watched it on Ice network and was spared all that. :p

(don't even have the option of universal sports anyway)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I watched it on Ice network and was spared all that. :p

(don't even have the option of universal sports anyway)

Same her RD - but something has been puzzling me all day.

I kept reading that Scott - on Universal's coverage - was pointing out flutzes and two footed landings from Sasha last night.

If as many here claim it is NBC that wants Sasha at the Olympics for ratings purposes - why would their lead skating analyst be ripping their "star attraction and savior." :think: :scratch:

Honestly that makes NO sense at all and in fact sounds like the stupidest thing possible. :laugh:

Since I know Scott is far from stupid - logic leads me to believe that "NBC will get Sasha on the team" is also one of the silliest rumors I have read at GS.

I kept reading that Scott - on Universal's coverage - was pointing out flutzes and two footed landings from Sasha last night.

The judges, however, disagreed with Scott. Only three of the nine judges gave Sasha a negative GOE on her Lutz combo, and none on her flip (six +GOEs and three 0's.)

Moxie

On the Ice
Here is a quote from Sasha I just read from an IN article:

"I've been to two Olympics, and I would love to go a third time, but it's not the end-all of my life. I hope I do make the team, but for me the accomplishment is being here."

What a lovely attitude. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
The judges, however, disagreed with Scott. Only three of the nine judges gave Sasha a negative GOE on her Lutz combo, and none on her flip (six +GOEs and three 0's.)

If it was an international panel, I think we'd be humming a very different tune right now. Just saying.

Moxie

On the Ice
If it was an international panel, I think we'd be humming a very different tune right now. Just saying.

Her TES were too high, for sure. But her PCS would have been much higher. Wonky judging last night.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know about endurance.......
Sasha appears to be in the best shape of her life and I think it will be more a matter if she has had enough time to train for her technique to hold up.

Actually I was surprised by how thin she looks.
Janetfan, I mentioned something yesterday when I saw her practice video, I think she is taller than we remember. I noticed that right away. I don't know if she is; she just looks it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Sasha doesn't really know Mirai, she wasn't around during Sasha's heyday. And Mirai has kind of reinvented herself, she looks so much different than she did when she was 13-14 and her jump technique has gotten so much better too. She is a lot more athletic now whereas before she was just a cutesy jumping bean.

Sasha in 2nd...I don't know, it might mean she wants it too much and will falter, but then again she seems super confident so she might go out there and skate clean. I have no idea what to expect from her, though I am a little annoyed that she might end up taking the Olympic spot of Mirai, Rachael, or Ashley to go to her 3rd Olympics. She's already gone to two, the other girls have gone to none, it's their turn. But I guess if she wins a spot fair and square then it's understandable.

I'm a little worried for Mirai skating last but she isn't one to fall a lot so that's reassuring. Plus she's done this all before.

I doubt Sasha would have turned out these past four years to the point where she didn't know what kind of skater Mirai was. In fact, I'm sure she'd been watching all these years, thinking, "hey these new girls are pretty good but you know what? I think I still could be better." Plushenko obviously looked around at the men of today and thought the same thing. I know that irritates you but I have no problem with it. The Olympics is about us mortals turning on the TV and seeing the best athletes in the world wow us for a month. It's not about giving a bunch of kids a shot because they haven't gotten to go before. I want to see the best in the world compete at the Olympics. If that's Sasha, great. If not, fine.
And if Plushenko wins the first consecutive men's OGM since Dick Button, sure I'll be disappointed for the U.S. men. But I'm sure going to enjoy watching that glorious moment. Those moments are what the Olympics are about.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha's issue was never her presentation or performance. And she has beein doing SOI so it's not like she hasn't been training and keeping up her skills. Of course she is going to look more polished than the young up and comers. The LP will tell the tale. I also think she has a 3/3 planned. But who knows if it's worht the risk if she UR's it and 2 foots. Then again, they overlooked her jumping issues in teh SP so they US judges might give her credit. We will soon see.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

If as many here claim it is NBC that wants Sasha at the Olympics for ratings purposes - why would their lead skating analyst be ripping their "star attraction and savior." :think: :scratch:

Why is he "ripping apart" his star cast member's skating??? :laugh: I don't think he's ripping anything apart. Just stating facts since GS members ;) called him on the carpet for not calling Evan's quad what it was (a triple lol)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Sasha's issue was never her presentation or performance. And she has beein doing SOI so it's not like she hasn't been training and keeping up her skills. Of course she is going to look more polished than the young up and comers. The LP will tell the tale. I also think she has a 3/3 planned. But who knows if it's worht the risk if she UR's it and 2 foots. Then again, they overlooked her jumping issues in teh SP so they US judges might give her credit. We will soon see.

Last I read, Sasha was not planning a 3-3. I'd be shocked if she did one given that she very rarely did 3-3s even at her peak.
Anyway, she doesn't need it at this competition. It's Rachael Flatt who needs it because much of there is nothing else in her skating that really sets her apart.