Idea for The Ice Channel | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Idea for The Ice Channel

tarotx said:
Why is this even a discussion issue? It makes me want to bang my a head against the wall! The only purpose to label figure skating or Gymnastics not a sport is to devalue it. I've asked many a many people what is the point if not to devalue and so far there has been no reason. If this isn't your case-what is your cause?
It's a discussion because it was brought up to be discussed. I think some sportsfans just do not like sports that are judged: Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Diving, Dressage, Dog Shows, and what else is judged?

Also a figure skating channel could have such events as regionals, sectionals and nationals for all novices, juniors and seniors. We never get to see these most of these events.We would be able to see the lesser knows and the young ones come up.
How will the figure skating channel be financed? Do you think the fans will pay for it?

The reason Ice skating has lost a lot of its fans is there's few live televised events and the only one there is, Michelle Kwan wins everytime so there is no competition. People like the drama of a live event and for there to be some doubt on who the winner will be....
There are many people like you who would want MK and Irina, and Amber, and Elenas S and L, and soon to be Sasha to just retire NOW! Then, there are many people who believe in the stamina of so-called elderly athletes to remain in the game something like Agassi.

btw, Michelle had a win in 2003 but not since. She is vulnerable.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
In my opinon, when you go out to compete, you go out with your best effort, not with a "work in progress", which is exactly what most of the skaters in the Grand Prix circuit do. And, frankly, so many times the skating is sloppy and full of mistakes. Does the public really want to see this?

:rock: Yes. Exactly. This is another good point that I forget to bring up. I don't think certain skaters REALLY take competitions outside of the Nationals, Olympics and Worlds seriously. If anyone doubts me take a look at all the skaters who withdraw, skip, and half-do the GP. It's to the point where it's become a strategy now. On the flip side, often times these same skaters end up doing the best at the major comps. The exception is Irina this past season.

It's a double edged sword, really.

Why is this even a discussion issue? It makes me want to bang my a head against the wall! The only purpose to label figure skating or Gymnastics not a sport is to devalue it. I've asked many a many people what is the point if not to devalue and so far there has been no reason. If this isn't your case-what is your cause?

Exactly what Joe said. I say FS isn't a sport. That doesn't mean I think any less of it as an event or an activity. I just simply do not buy the thought that judged events, no matter what they are, can be considered sports. That's it, no more to it.

Also a figure skating channel could have such events as regionals, sectionals and nationals for all novices, juniors and seniors. We never get to see these most of these events.We would be able to see the lesser knows and the young ones come up.

Again, Joe is right on here. Who else besides the hard-core fans would be interested in such coverage? How many hard-core fans are there? Can all the hard-core fans get together and donate money/time to make such a thing happen? I would not rule out such a possibility, esp. with what's going on these days. But the real chance of such a thing happening is less than me winning the lottery tomorrow.

The reason Ice skating has lost a lot of its fans is there's few live televised events and the only one there is, Michelle Kwan wins everytime so there is no competition. People like the drama of a live event and for there to be some doubt on who the winner will be....

Part of this statement (the latter part) has some truth to it. But besides that, 1) it's a judged event (what I said earlier), 2) it is known to be corrupt, 3) it has little credibility (who wants to watch something when the winner has already been decided beforehand??) and 4) the event is shown way after the fact. (That means that many people know the results already, sometimes for weeks before it is finally shown on TV. After that, why watch it? All the suspense is gone. It's like opening a Christmas present when on Dec. 3rd you managed to catch the people wrapping it and saw what it was. Where's the surprise?)

And ITA with MK winning every Nationals competition. Actually IMO only the Kwan fans (and maybe some skating buffs) really seem interested in watching her rack up all the titles. The average viewer who doesn't care about Kwan will easily tire of her winning. But at least internationally she's very beatable.
btw, Michelle had a win in 2003 but not since. She is vulnerable.

Internationally I would definitely agree that she is vulnerable. She's been beaten by more skaters in the past two years than probably in the previous eight years.

Nationally though that's a different story. Everyone knows where I stand here, so I'll leave it at that. :yes:

tarotx

On the Ice
I don't want Sasha and Michelle to retire! I love both of them! And US Nationals is the only live televised event in the USA and Michelle has won that event every year since her loss to Tara in 1997!

My point in mentioning live events, drama and MIchelle is that because other events aren't live US fans don't get to see drama unfold. Michelle owns Nationals and everybody knows it! But if we would get more live events and more skaters fans would be able to form attachments and feel anticipation for skaters placements even those without a chance to win.

And I know some one brought up the issue of rather or not skating was a sport or not but imo it's a discussion with no real purpose other then to devalue skating. That's why it pisses me off to see it discussed on a skating board in a thread on rather or not an Ice channel could or should exist!

Skating fans would pay to see extra events and good skating entertainment.

R.D.

Record Breaker
tarotx said:
My point in mentioning live events, drama and MIchelle is that because other events aren't live US fans don't get to see drama unfold. Michelle owns Nationals and everybody knows it! But if we would get more live events and more skaters fans would be able to form attachments and feel anticipation for skaters placements even those without a chance to win.

And I know some one brought up the issue of rather or not skating was a sport or not but imo it's a discussion with no real purpose other then to devalue skating. That's why it pisses me off to see it discussed on a skating board in a thread on rather or not an Ice channel could or should exist!

Once again, who's going to be in charge of broadcasting the extra events? Who's going to finance it? Sorry, but although it's nice to discuss and think about, in reality this is VERY unlikely...

About the skating is/is not a sport issue- different people will have their own opinions. I don't hold it against anybody, and I think we should all do the same. JMO.

JOHIO2

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Maybe the Ice Channel could exist if it included ALL types of skating on ice - including speed skating, ice hockey, barrel jumping :rofl: , as well as figure skating. Oh well, dream on......

SkateFan,

do you think the addition of curling to your list would help? :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
Is there an email address for the ice channel to send suggestions to?

My suggestion to ice channel is to include all sports that are played on ice.

We have run into a similar roadblock in creating a toastmasters club for fans of figure skating. Nobody wants to join, inspite of extensive advertising. We decided to stretch and make it a 'sports on ice ' club. It includes hockey, curling, speed skating, short track speed skating,and of course figure skating. Still no luck. I don't know what it is about ice that keeps people away. Somehow the NHL does not seem to have this problem.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Somehow the NHL does not seem to have this problem.

They soon might...a lot of people are angry over the lockout, and apparently they are changing the rules of the game to make it more appealing to the casual fan.

Spirit

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Is there an email address for the ice channel to send suggestions to?
http://www.theicechannel.com/

If you can find one, knock yourself out.

<Editing message to include more info.>

There are several links of interest on the site. At the top (beneath Home) is a link for Feedback, and a separate link for Idea Submissions.

The regular feedback is electronic, but to submit an idea, they demand that you sign a waiver. This strongly suggests to me that if you submit an idea using the regular feedback link, they'll throw it away. That's if there's even anyone left to read the feedback.

At the bottom of the page is another link to Creative Media, which is apparently the owner. However, their home page contains nothing but a logo.

Good luck.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

JOHIO2 said:
SkateFan,

do you think the addition of curling to your list would help? :biggrin:

Absolutely! :biggrin:

And let's televise pick-up outdoor ice hockey games, skating parties, carnivals, exhibition performances, all of the past Winter Olympic and World figure skating competitions for good measure. Let's televise adult figure skating competitions and see how the over 40-crowd handle the pressure of competition. :rock:

Also - short track speed skating. How about a new sport "Roller Derby on Ice"?
Of course, you just need to sneak in some hidden cameras at your average public skating session, and there you have it - pushing, shoving, etc.

And how about fashion shows featuring the most bizarre costumes worn in competitions and exhibitions? A kind of "Mardi Gras on Ice". (Yes, New Orleans will rise again!)

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Add to my previous list:

Ballet on ice. Many years ago I saw a performance of Sleeping beauty on ice by a Russian company (can't remember their name). It was really good. Just last month I watched on PBS another performance of Sleeping beauty on ice. It does not interest me as much as the FS competitions, but it will add some variety.

It will be great to see lower ranked skaters and lower level competitions. It does not always have to be top 4-5 at worlds or Olympics.

Vash