Missing Michelle and Jenny/Jenny should come back | Golden Skate

Missing Michelle and Jenny/Jenny should come back

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Despite having sometimes felt Kwan was overmarked and rec'd titles based on reputation/past laurels, I really missed seeing her. I'm hoping these injuries resolve soon

Also, Jenny Kirk's light, beautiful style was missing from Campbell's. I think she made a mistake to quit, truly.

I was dismayed to see Sasha SO THIN. 5 LBS makes a difference on someone so tiny. While not giving away results, I feel this Olympic season will be lackluster due to top skaters injured and uninspired.

Anyone else feel this way? I remember how well Sasha, Michelle and Sarah alone were skating before Salt Lake. The technical demands have ruined the art of skating. I know it's early in the season, but the pressures look so enormous and it really shows already in this "event."

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sometimes you don't know how much you appreciate a skater until she's gone...

I think Cohen is in pretty good shape right now. Look at this.

And while the going might have been good going UP to Salt Lake, look what happened AT Salt Lake. :laugh: Still, I think it's a bit early to be calling this season a dud. It really hasn't begun yet! Skate America is still one week from now.

And if it turns out to be- I don't know, maybe it will all come together in Torino ;)

nicole_l

Final Flight
I know, I wasn't ready for Jenny to leave right now, I thought she was sticking around for another season. :frown:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Sasha looks anorexic

I disagree she is in good shape. Even her legs looked different. Either she is training hard or maybe she has an eating disorder. It is so common. Maybe the costume accentuated it, but if she looks this scrawny on TV, imagine in person.

This is worrisome.:no:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Salt Lake was great!

I think it was a great Olympics. Men's, Ladies, Pairs were wonderful. The skating was at a very high level. Are you referring to the pairs boondoggle? I loved the result. The best two pairs won and now are great friends. Finally Scott opened his mouth to talk about the block voting. It was loads of fun to watch. Oly's need scandal. Didn't Tonya prove this in 94?

Ice dance of course, is another whole ballpark. Only the advent of Our B&A makes me watch it anyway. OK, I watch to laugh at the costumes to be really truthful. ;)

kyla2

Final Flight
I Disagree

Fisrt, I totally disagree that Sasha doesn't look well. I think she looked strong in fact. I also disagree about Jenny. It was time for her to move on with her life. She was having too many problems with her jumps and cosnistency. Instead of improving, she was at the point of no longer being competitive. She did the right thing.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Jenny was a joy to watch

when not falling. But I think she was undermarked from the beginning of her career. As for Sasha, have seen her in person and she looks healthier with a few more pounds on her frame. I like her and am not criticizing her skating.

Kathy

On the Ice
Sasha is frighteningly thin. She has no body fat. There is only one way that happens and it is not healthy. The "shape" she is in is not normal even for her. When an athlete goes down this road there is a period of time when they look almost superhumanly strong and feel that way too - but they frequently crash. I think it is quite a statement about our body type preferences that more people who have seen her are not alarmed.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The "shape" she is in is not normal even for her. When an athlete goes down this road there is a period of time when they look almost superhumanly strong and feel that way too - but they frequently crash.

I don't know much about this. Are you guys saying that the reason she looks so fit is that she's too thin? But that doesn't make sense (to me anyway).

One shot of her at some rink DID make her look very thin, but I think it was the camera angle.

(This thread seems to be turning into one about Cohen's level of fitness...GS, I swear :laugh: )

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Hi RD

Thin doesn't mean fit all the time. I agree with every word Kathy said. Sasha did well with her triples and maybe I'm concerned for nothing. I hope so. I'd like to see real women's bodies in skating again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe she might be becoming anorexic. I don't know.

From certain angles I notice she DOES look particularly thin, but from others she seems to look OK to me.

But what top skater or model out there is NOT thin? They all seem to look the same to me.

Vash01

Medalist
I missed Michelle and Jenny at Campbell's. Without Michelle it did not feel like a real competition. Shizuka was there, but she has not skated great since the 2004 worlds. After watching Alissa and Emily skate, I wished that Jenny had not retired so soon. Although she never placed high at worlds, she was a mature skater and lovely to watch.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I wondered about Sasha's weight a while ago, but someone that skated with her told me she definetly wasn't. I was like, well, ok, then. I noticed, too that she looked smaller, but she also looked more muscular, but that could ALSO be attributed to the fact the muscle gets more accentuated when there is less fat on the body. Maybe she's just trying to overcompensate her fitness so that she can consistently be strong enough to land her jumps. *shrug*

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
Also, Jenny Kirk's light, beautiful style was missing from Campbell's. I think she made a mistake to quit, truly.

I'm pretty sure JENNY knows better than the FANS if it was a mistake or not. She had retired once, came back, and decided it still wasn't for her. I'd rather her quit now and be happy, then continue to skate because she might make something happen and be miserable. She's back home and looking toward the future. I say good for her! There's more to life than skating.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Finally got to see the competition (on ABC. I don't have cable). I didn't notice Sasha Cohen looking any different than usual. I also noticed that Emily Hughes now has really big muscular thighs like Tai Babilonia used to have. They both looked healthy to me, just two completely opposite body types.

Yeah, Jenny Kirk's presence is missed, but then, so is Angela Nikodinov's. So what can you do? Just enjoy the new faces that their absence leaves room for.

soogar

Record Breaker
Sasha's weight: She is very thin, however keep in mind that her sport involves a lot of jumping and landing on a hard surface with hardly any shock absorption. I just read an article where it recommended that a person should lose 4 pounds to relieve 600 pounds of pressure on the knees (at least a few hundred if not specifically 600, but 600 stands out to me so I might remembered correctly). This was for the prevention of osteoarthritis from *walking*. If Sasha wants to relieve stress on her body and prevent injuries, she must maintain a low weight. Since this is the Olympic year, she might as well go all out and diet/train to get fit.

I also noticed that Irina is also in fighting lean shape for the Olympic season. I don't think that Sasha has a problem because other than her time under TAT, she has had a nice rounded figure. So she goes all out this year and then she can regain a few pounds after the Olympics. That doesn't mean that she's an anorexic.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen has never looked so beautiful. She finally looks like a real ballerina, rather than a slightly pudgy version of a ballerina.

I can honestly say that seeing Sasha perform at the recent cheesefest (via TV) has changed my thoughts about Sasha. Now I finally see a lyrical artist. Now I can honestly say that her golden dress may be matched by a gold medal in Turin, come February. Brava! GREAT improvement. :clap: :clap: :clap

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha has never, EVER been pudgy, not even close to it. She does look thinner than ever, though. It's hard to say whether her extreme thinness is due to an eating disorder, or to the intense physical activity practicing for the Olympics.

I recall that in 2002-2003, Sarah Hughes was very, very thin, but when she returned to skate at Crest, Hallmark , US Nationals and Worlds in 2003-2004, she had become much heavier. I think in Sarah's case, she probably had cut back on eating while training strenuously during the Olympic season. Cutting back hard on calories can cause the metabolism to plummet. When Sarah resumed normal eating habits after SLC, her weight ballooned rapidly.