NBC not broadcasting Olympic figure skating live | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NBC not broadcasting Olympic figure skating live

S

SkateFan4Life

Hello! Football is played in the United States, not Italy!! The networks can accommodate the time zones within the continental USA very nicely.

As long as I don't get accidently spoiled, I don't mind that the skating will be taped....It will "seem" live to me as I view it. And I'd rather view it at a reasonable hour pretending it's live than having to tape it in the middle of the night because I need to be sleeping. And if the tapes of the skating is going to be just skating without skiing or something else in-between, that's even better, IMO. I am not interested in anything but the skating of the Oly coverage.

shdotz

On the Ice
taping football

SkateFan4Life said:
Hello! Football is played in the United States, not Italy!! The networks can accommodate the time zones within the continental USA very nicely.

Correct.

Used to be that not enough tickets were sold, the game would not be shown in the immediate area; I think that situation has since changed, but if it hadn't, then locals either wouldn't see it or they'd have to watch reruns - which might not exist - or buy tickets and go themselves.

It is a parallel in my eyes.

shdotz

R.D.

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:

Actually football IS played in Italy- we in the US just call it soccer. ;)

Jhar55

Medalist
Did you expect anything less from NBC. :bow: :bow: :bow:
They couldn't show anything live from the last Olympics and it was in the US
I'd try stay up and watch, when the Olympic was in Japan I took the week off from work to watch.
At leat ABC show todays coverage live, yes they could have showed more but then they wouldn't have gotten in all of Dick, Peggy, Kurts and Kat's comments.
I suppose they were more important the showing us the Jr skaters.. :agree:

shdotz

On the Ice
Live Figure Skating

tripleflutz said:
I really have never cared fo "LIVE" Olympic FS coverage, because they keep jumping back and forth between FS and ski jumping or luge or whatever. The delays between skaters, the warmups for the different groups, intermission to run the Zamboni etc. All these delays cause the FS coverage to be fragmented. This way maybe it will be more continuous and enjoyable.

Live figure skating is LIVE - not going back and forth to other sports.

When FS is taped, that gives the providing network the opportunity to splice and dice the tapes, again to have us wait and watch all the sponsors.

I tape the skates and I FF through the other sports I don't care about and never listen to a commercial.

And, if I think the skate is good and worth being bought, I order through the network; I don't get to see all the skates that way, but I do get to see the gold and silver winners with little commentary and NO commercials. Expensive? That's a matter of opinion.

By the way, Figrue Skating is the whipped cream on top of the sundae - it's the most watched sport in the Olympics - or so I've read in various media articles. I guess that's why the networks do what they do.

I still say that ESPN and/or ESPN2 are the best providers of figure skating tapes because there are fewer commercials and the skating is start to finish (continual). Of course this is after the Olympics, but that doesn't bother me because I can watch skating, which is what I want to see.

shdotz

shdotz said:

By the way, Figrue Skating is the whipped cream on top of the sundae - it's the most watched sport in the Olympics - or so I've read in various media articles. I guess that's why the networks do what they do.shdotz
It's also broadcasted at a time when the family sits around and watches together. It think with the hype that Bode Miller is getting it also would get huge ratings if they show Skiing at apres-dinner time.

Joe

shdotz

On the Ice
It's also broadcasted at a time when the family sits around and watches together

Joesitz said:
It's also broadcasted at a time when the family sits around and watches together. It think with the hype that Bode Miller is getting it also would get huge ratings if they show Skiing at apres-dinner time.

Joe

Not in this house.

I am the sole, avid figure skating fan. While I'm watching my favorite thing, my husband is in the living room watching his favorite things. We've been married 43 years, and this is a wonderful treat for me - to have my own room where I study, plan, work on my computer, and watch my favorite DVDs, channels, and the best is the figure skating. I must have more than 50 tapes and probably only 8 DVDs. But, to me, live is the best because it's a "now" time; real and yummy.

shdotz

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I like knowing it's happening at the same time I watch it. Alexei's win in the kiss n' cry just wouldn't have had the same high emotion and effect that it had. Same with Sarah Hughes and Robin Wagner falling to the ground just after realizing, she had won. I'll try to see it in real-time on the internet, if I have to.

rob43

On the Ice
I think 2002 being live depended on location. I saw it live in EST and I think Central did as well. But it was tape delayed for Mountain and West Coast stations.

I also wonder if being freed from that 10 pm start time for the last group might not help the athletes. I'm a night owl but even I wouldn't want to conjure the perfromance of a lifetime at quarter of eleven at night.

shdotz said:

Not in this house.

I am the sole, avid figure skating fan. While I'm watching my favorite thing, my husband is in the living room watching his favorite things. We've been married 43 years, and this is a wonderful treat for me - to have my own room where I study, plan, work on my computer, and watch my favorite DVDs, channels, and the best is the figure skating. I must have more than 50 tapes and probably only 8 DVDs. But, to me, live is the best because it's a "now" time; real and yummy.

shdotz
Well, I think you are one in a million. There are many fathers that enjoy watching the skating with their daughters and about 8 pm on a Sunday night, that is exactly what will happen. there are loving fathers.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
The live events take place between 1pm and 5pm, Eastern time, when most people are at work. Since figure skating is one of the most popular Olympic events, NBC will want to show it on tape delay, in prime time.

Here are the dates and times (EST) for each of the disciplines and segments:

Pairs SP 1-4:15p Sat, 2/11
Pairs FS 1-5:10p Mon, 2/13
Men SP 1-5:25p Tue, 2/14
Men FS 1-5:20p Thu, 2/16
Ice Dance CD 1-4:10p Fri, 2/17
Ice Dance OD 1-5:30p Sun, 2/19
Ice Dance FD 1-5:25p Mon, 2/20
Ladies SP 1-5:25p Tue, 2/21
Ladies FS 1-5:10p Thu, 2/23

shdotz

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Well, I think you are one in a million. There are many fathers that enjoy watching the skating with their daughters and about 8 pm on a Sunday night, that is exactly what will happen. there are loving fathers.

Joe

Ed is a loving husband and father. We are retired. Our youngest is 37; perhaps this will help you understand that not everyone has young children. I didn't start watching figure skating until after Sergei died. That was shortly after our second daughter, Karen, died of cancer in early 1988 at age 22; that's also when I started buying skating tapes and taping TV skate shows. The beauty of skating helped heal me.

Before Karen died, with three children, I worked two jobs and took classes at Stetson University School of Music in DeLand, FL.......that kept me plenty busy and I didn't have time for myself. Now, I take time.

Ed and I and our children did lots of things together for many, many years.

I'm glad to hear you're spending time with your children. You'll never regret it. Take lots of photos, too, for rocking chair days.

Blessings, sh:)

Regarding NBC taping the live competition for showing in North America at 8pm on a Saturday or Sunday evening. It has to do with economics. That is prime time viewing and they want to milk the sponsors for all they can get. Can't blame them.

Problem with this is that the other networks are not sworn to secrecy so they will give out the results of the competitions whenever they feel like it. So if you are of the Spoiler Persuasion, I would suggest you do not turn on your TV till the tape is shown. Personally, it wont bother me because I do my own judging which believe it or not agrees with the judges so I can still watch the comps even if I know the results beforehand.

And.... I think the results are pretty much obvious.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
During the summer games, the results were usually announced on the evening news. Even NBC's Nightly News offered results to those who wanted to know, IIRC. But they do warn you before spoiling you, unlike news articles, cable channels, etc. I suppose the only solution is to stay away from all media sources on that Tuesday and Thursday...

shdotz said:
That was shortly after our second daughter, Karen, died of cancer in early 1988 at age 22; that's also when I started buying skating tapes and taping TV skate shows. The beauty of skating helped heal me.
My heartfelt sympathy to you and your husband for the untimely loss of your daughter. I had a similar experience when my son died in 1998. For some reason, figure skating caught my attention shortly after, and the grace and beauty of the sport provided a balm for me that I still cherish.

Mathman

shdotz

On the Ice
To Mathman

Mathman said:
My heartfelt sympathy to you and your husband for the untimely loss of your daughter. I had a similar experience when my son died in 1998. For some reason, figure skating caught my attention shortly after, and the grace and beauty of the sport provided a balm for me that I still cherish.

Mathman

Thank you for your kindness and understanding as well as your empathy.

Only one who knows understands. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

The loss of a child or any loved one is painful; I think they take a part of us with them, and of course we have the memories so, in one sense, we are forever together.

For us, the pure, unequaled beauty of figure skating has helped heal that part of us that wants to be filled with Good things. :) :) :) .

God is Good.

Blessings, sh

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't the networks realize that, with the internet, most people will not only already know who has won by the time the tape airs, they will probably have found a video or live stream on the internet? Does anyone know if US cable will air the figure skating live?

R.D.

Record Breaker
They're delaying it to show it in prime-time so the maximum amount of people can see the coverage. During the day (especially since the competition takes place on a weekday) people will be at work, so it doesn't quite make sense to air something as popular as skating during that time, even if it means delaying the coverage by a few hours. At least it's only a few hours...not a couple of weeks like some of these other comps!

On the flip side, though- there's the potential to be spoiled...:banging: I hate that.