Article: Cohen May Turn To Acting Career | Golden Skate

Article: Cohen May Turn To Acting Career

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tara Lipinski, meet your new competitor.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1739505

"But figure skating is not what it used to be. It is disheartening to skate to half-empty arenas. It makes it less rewarding when they're not there.

"Aside from the Olympics we are skating in arenas that are half full and that is always a little bit disappointing."

[snip]

"I am very full of life and there is so much to explore. I would love to act and to travel, all these things I can't do while I'm skating," Cohen said. "I'll see what opportunities I have and where I want to go."

Cohen said she has already spoken with comic film actor Ben Stiller about a role in a figure skating movie he is planning and that her manager has been receiving lots of offers.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting quote from the USFS article about the competition being easier. I always wondered how that played out in one's mind. Nice to finally hear a skater's take on it.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I wish her luck with her acting career. I imagine she will do much better than Tara if she puts the work into it.

I am a bit perplexed about the USFSA article, though. They talk about "the kind of competitor" she is, then they include her quotes about competing in a "less dense field" and how much more enjoyable that will be. Sorry, but that is not the attitude I would expect of someone who "loves competing." You want to beat the very best. Now I certainly don't fault her about who she will be going up against, but I think her comments are a bit insulting to the other competitors who will be there.

tarotx

On the Ice
nymkfan51 said:
I wish her luck with her acting career. I imagine she will do much better than Tara if she puts the work into it.

I am a bit perplexed about the USFSA article, though. They talk about "the kind of competitor" she is, then they include her quotes about competing in a "less dense field" and how much more enjoyable that will be. Sorry, but that is not the attitude I would expect of someone who "loves competing." You want to beat the very best. Now I certainly don't fault her about who she will be going up against, but I think her comments are a bit insulting to the other competitors who will be there.

If Sasha doesn't beat herself who will beat her of those that are competing?

"Win or lose, whoever's there, it's about what I'm trying to accomplish when I'm out there," she said.

"It's about my skating and I'm feeling very prepared and very confident. It's always easier when the competition isn't all there. But

I would try to find the positives.

"To have a 'less than' field, I look at it as less pressure, to just enjoy the skating and it makes it easier, less tension."

As for as her acting only time will tell if she's any good at it or if that is really what she even wants to do. She's just exploring her options for the future.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
The point I was trying to make was this ... obviously Sasha has no control over who her competitors will be, and she is most definitely the favorite. My question centers around the comment she made about it being more enjoyable without the other top skaters there. This doesn't sound to me like the typical athlete who loves competing ... they would usually rather face the best people ... it only makes them compete at a higher level, and makes the victory that much sweeter. I can certainly understand that she must see this as we do ... a championship title, hers for the taking. I guess I would just not have verbalized that I liked it better with lesser skaters competing.
But hey ... this should be the proverbial walk in the park for her, and she knows it.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
tarotx said:
If Sasha doesn't beat herself who will beat her of those that are competing?

As for as her acting only time will tell if she's any good at it or if that is really what she even wants to do. She's just exploring her options for the future.

She has to win the world title first. It may be a less dense field, but remember...in 1994, Surya and the world thought she would take the title, with the absence of Chen, Baiul, and Kerrigan...we all know how that turned out.

tarotx

On the Ice
thisthingcalledlove said:
She has to win the world title first. It may be a less dense field, but remember...in 1994, Surya and the world thought she would take the title, with the absence of Chen, Baiul, and Kerrigan...we all know how that turned out.

Of Course she has to win it first. Sasha just may lose the gold. Her tack record speaks for its self after all. But that's a different issue then quality of the field. One of the young girls can be truely inspired and preformed better then she ever has but it's doubtful that if Sasha doesn't lose the gold that she'll not win gold. There's always a chance but we'll talking pressure and tension generating here.

"Win or lose, whoever's there, it's about what I'm trying to accomplish when I'm out there,"

"...she also admitted that the absence of Arakawa and Slutskaya did play a role in her decision."

Hmm. I guess she figured, if the other girls are just going to hand it to me, I might as well take it.

You know how sports teams pin quotes from opposing coaches up in the locker room for motivation? I wonder what Joannie Rochette, Fumie Suguri and Kimmie Meissner think abut all this, LOL.

MM :)

Coincidentally, there is an article about Tara Lipinski in the latest Spotlight on Skating magazine.

"Though not a keen observer of the eligible skating world (these days), Lipinski singled out one for special praise.

"'You see a lot of skaters. Some are genuine and some aren't. Some are happy and having fun in the present. I feel Sasha Cohen is all those things. She's great.'"

(I wonder how great she'll be when she and Tara are up for the same part in a movie, LOL.)

MM :)

tarotx

On the Ice
Sasha didn't say the win is hers. She said when the field isn't as strong the tension and pressure isn't as intense and she can enjoy it better. Anytime 2 and really 3 of the best ladies in the world isn't there the talent is diluted. Sasha didn't say anything personal about Fumie, Carolina, Joannie, Kimmie and Elena's talent. They can use her quote as motivating but Skating is an "I" sport unlike teams sports where they physically touch and can literally stop the team form doing their best.

tarotx said:
...Sasha didn't say anything personal about Fumie, Carolina, Joannie, Kimmie and Elena's talent...
Well, I only get in trouble when I try to offer Sasha advice about how to word her comments, so I'll just bow out of this one.

I'm with Tara. Sasha's great. :yes:

No I won't, darn it. Would it have killed her to say, "despite the withdrawal of some of the top people, there are still a lot of talented skaters in the field and I will have to be at my best if I want to come out on top?"

nymkfan51

Medalist
Mathman said:
No I won't, darn it. Would it have killed her to say, "despite the withdrawal of some of the top people, there are still a lot of talented skaters in the field and I will have to be at my best if I want to come out on top?"

Well MM, that would certainly have been the smarter thing to say, IMO. Now she had better go out there and make sure she wins the gold.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She was honest in this interview. I like that. I thought that left her but I guess not.

flowjo35

On the Ice
I think Sasha will strike while the iron is hot and go for some of these offers. I think after this season is over (if she wins gold at worlds or not) she will leave.

nymkfan51

Medalist
tarotx said:

Or it is going to be rather embarrassing for her, now that she has pretty much dismissed the rest of the field.
But then again, maybe she won't give a hoot.

Vash01

Medalist
I have watched Sasha over the years and my perception is that if she is in a tough competition (e.g. against Michelle, Irina, and now Shizuka) she tenses up and makes mistakes. May be she starts doubting herself? OTOH when she sees that there is a substantial gap in the talent of her competitors and herself, she is more relaxed. She skates relatively clean and wins. She has won several GP's because the fields are not that competitive and the pressure is not that heavy (compared to worlds and Olympics).

I don't think she meant to put down her competitors (Fumie, Joannie, Kimmie and possibly Carolina) at worlds. It is just that without Shizuka and Irina, she feels less stressed. She has not said whether it will translate into a win, but reading between lines, this has to be the reason she is at worlds. Also, having experienced the Olympic pressure, I think the pressure at worlds won't bother/scare her.

That's my take on it.

Vash