Arakawa not doing the GP next year | Golden Skate

Arakawa not doing the GP next year

R.D.

Record Breaker
According to this post on FSU, a Japanese news site reports that Arakawa is not doing the GP's next year, and wants to rest. Not a surprise at all (I thought she would actually retire, though) but just an FYI.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
I am not surprised. I will be very surprised if she continues in the eligible ranks after her huge moment. IMO she is just being noncommital, not saying one way or the other.

Vash

I'm not surpresied either. All she has to do is defend her title iin 2010 and I don't think she's about to do that. With 2 World Golds and 1 Oly Gold, why bother?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
I'm not surpresied either. All she has to do is defend her title iin 2010 and I don't think she's about to do that. With 2 World Golds and 1 Oly Gold, why bother?

Joe

Are you predicting Shizuka to win next year, or did I miss something -- I thought Shizuka has one World gold from '04? I'm not surprised that Shizuka is not planning on retiring yet, with the '07Worlds in Japan. I often thought that Sarah would not have tried to come back after her OGM if the '03 Worlds were not in the USA.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Are you predicting Shizuka to win next year, or did I miss something -- I thought Shizuka has one World gold from '04? I'm not surprised that Shizuka is not planning on retiring yet, with the '07Worlds in Japan. I often thought that Sarah would not have tried to come back after her OGM if the '03 Worlds were not in the USA.
Good point. Haven't thought about that. OTOH, I doubt she'd want to compete against, say, Asada just to be on the team.

Eeyora

Final Flight
can't say I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if she did 07 Worlds as a farewell skate, if Speedy allow's it. Remember his threats several years back.

euterpe

Medalist
I doubt very much we will see Shizuka at 2007 Worlds. Maybe it sounded like a good idea, fresh after her Olympic victory, but I think on reflection on the hard training that would require (which would surely interfere with her show schedule) she will pass on competing in Tokyo. She might do well to recall that in 2003, OGM winner Sarah Hughes returned to competition after passing on the GP, finished 2nd and 3rd at a couple of cheesefests and 2nd at Nationals, then finished a disappointing 6th at Worlds in her home country.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
can't say I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if she did 07 Worlds as a farewell skate, if Speedy allow's it. Remember his threats several years back.

Speedy can't do anything though because Shizuka will be an unseeded skater for the GP on account of not going to worlds...he can't get all huffy if you apply his stupid rules and no-one is breaking them!

Ant

There's a lot of celebration for the winner of the Ladies Oly Gold. Much time is utilized in attending and participating in so many events Just look what it did to poor Sarah in 2003 Worlds.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
There's a lot of celebration for the winner of the Ladies Oly Gold. Much time is utilized in attending and participating in so many events Just look what it did to poor Sarah in 2003 Worlds.

Joe

IIRC, Sarah pulled out of the GP, citing injury; skated in some pro-ams and cheesefests, where she did not do well, but seemed to be getting better -- and actually skated quite well at Nats. Was she participating in different activities due to her OGM, between Nats and Worlds?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I don't think Sarah's result at 2003 worlds was so much about attending and participating in events so much as she lost any motivation to train having won the olympic gold medal. I think she and Wagner said as much after worlds.

Ant

Still, she fought her way back into shape for the 2003 U.S. Nationals in January, and finished second, beating the odds-on 2nd place favorite Sasha. This victory (Michelle was first) was so unexpected that Sasha's coach at the time, Tatiana Tarasova, never did believe that her skater finished third, referring to her as the silver medalist in several interviews after the event, LOL.

For some strange reason, though, Sarah came into the world championship only a couple of months later looking lethargic and out of shape. (Even so, she finished a respectable sixth.)

MM :)

PS. Besides skating in the Marshalls exhibition show TONIGHT!!!!, Shizuka is also scheduled to do an exhibition skate at the Japanese Open team event in May.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
For some strange reason, though, Sarah came into the world championship only a couple of months later looking lethargic and out of shape. (Even so, she finished a respectable sixth.)

Not too strange when the bottom line was she was simply unprepared. Why? We can't know for sure, but after winning the OGM it must be hard to keep your motivation going.

But that's my question. Why was she motivated and prepared enough in the fall of 2002 (after winning the Olympic gold medal the previous winter) to skate great at Nationals, then suddently lose her motivation to keep going for another couple of months leading up to worlds?

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Mathman said:
But that's my question. Why was she motivated and prepared enough in the fall of 2002 (after winning the Olympic gold medal the previous winter) to skate great at Nationals, then suddently lose her motivation to keep going for another couple of months leading up to worlds?

Hopefully because she was smart enough to realize that she's not a great skater and got lucky.

Well, she was "lucky" in being in the right place at the right time, when both Michelle and Irina slipped. But she also came in fully prepared to take advantage of whatever luck the skate gods threw her way. (The harder I work, the luckier I get.)

It's interesting to compare Sarah's and Shizuka's competitive records in the year leading up to their Olympic triumphs. These are two polar opposites as far as style is concerned -- Sarah in 2002 being the plucky, give it the old college try teenager, and Shizuka in 2006 the regal and elegant ice queen. But in terms of the x's and o's...

Sarah:

Worlds -- 3rd
Nationals -- 2nd
Skate America -- 2nd
Skate Canada -- 1st (beating both Michelle and Irina)
Trophee Lalique -- 2nd
Grand Prix Final -- 3rd

Shizuka:

Worlds -- 9th
Nationals -- 3rd
Cup of China -- 3rd
Trophee Eric Bompard -- 3rd
Grand Prix Final (finished 8th in standings, didn't make the final.)

So I guess the bottom line is, you never know what's going to happen till it happens.

MM :)