Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Cohen's beauty and polish not appreciated?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I love baseball, and I'm an avid Yankee fan. SO-when the Yankees are playing, I want them to win! Of course, I also want the RS to lose so that the Yankees can be AL East Division Champs. BUT I watch Baseball Tonight because I love to see a good play in the field, highlights of games, etc. I also will watch any featured game on TV, just because I like the game.

I'm definitely a life long Michelle fan no matter what she may do in the future. I think from now on, I'll pick skaters to root for at each competition, but at this point, I don't forsee myself rooting for one specific skater the way I root and follow Michelle. I'm more excited to see how the next generation of skaters does than to see if, say, Sasha defends her National crown. I do adore Fumie and want to see her win Worlds in Japan next spring.

Who knows...the next couple of seasons I most likely will become an avid fan of another skater, I just don't know who will that will be yet! I didn't seek out Michelle. She got my interest in 1994 (more because I disgusted by the Harding debacle, I was a Tonya fan) and then hooked me in 1996. There are plenty of skaters out there that do interest me. I won't sit here and be like,"So and so doesn't do this or that as well as Michelle." I try to enjoy what a skater I like CAN bring to the ice instead.

So, in conclusion, I'm with Joesitz!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think the differences between us lies in the definition of a fan - any fan.

I like baseball and I am an avid fan of the METS. I'm not that interested in Football, Hockey and Basketball (team sports) but I do follow them.

With Michelle apparently bowing out of competitive skating I don't feel I have to find another skater to be a fan of. I continue to like figure skating and enjoy it. I don't feel compelled to find a new skater to root for. Other skaters do not have to be American. Michelle was fine and continues to be The Lady. I love watching other Ladies, but that is just one of the disciplines I am interested in. I follow Juniors as well as Seniors.

The Club of No Fans was not meant to be a serious statement. That is the reason for 'jumping to conclusions'. I rarely use emoticons.

In conclusion, I am a big fan of figures skating and MK will always be special.

Joe

Right. Got it. Like I said, my brain is fried and I misunderstood. I guess that means I was indeed jumping to conclusions... So glad its Friday!

And emoticons are a wonderful tool at self expression... (but how can you be a fan of the Mets??? Go Yankees!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Emoticons are great but I find myself wishing there were more on this forum...:p :yes: :scratch:

Go Yankees!!! (Kwanford, how did you get to be a Yankees fan? I thought people outside NY hated the Yankees. Maybe it's just my family... who live in Boston. :sheesh: )

I'm a fan of Sasha's skating - it's not really about Sasha the person, although I'm glad she seems to be an intelligent, nice, public-spirited, and responsible young woman. I like lots of others too, especially in the new crop. Will I be a lifelong fan as in one who closely follows her career? No, I don't think so. I will remember her skating with respect and affection and I will be delighted if she stays in skating and continues to contribute to the sport. I'm dubious about the whole acting thing, but I wish her well.

Kind of the same about Yags. I consider him incomparable - but for his skating! I won't follow the rest of his life closely, but I'll wish him well and will honor him as long as I live for the beauty and fierceness of his skating.

I am also a Johnny fan. Although I'm growing less enthusiastic about the constant focus on him as a person, his ideas and tastes. I don't care! Just skate, man. But I also love to watch Oda, Takahashi, and whoever else delivers a beautiful skate or one with a lot of heart.

In general, it's the skat-ing that matters to me, and Goldenskate has reinforced that. I notice if the skat-er is a wonderful person, and that pleases me, but that's not critical. I remember Balanchine's dictum, in response to the suggestion that dancers were none too bright: "They are fools on the earth, but angels above the earth." I'm sure he didn't mean "fools" literally - it was a way of saying that it's the marvels they perform, not their mundane earthly life, that makes them dancers (and to a religious mind, gives us a glimpse of heaven). Skaters are "angels" for me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One doesn't become a fan of a sports figure because the person is nice. It's because he/she does something on the court/field/ice/whatever that is enjoyable. It's a nice plus if the person conducts himself/herself nicely away from said sport but in the end it's about what they do out there. Of course, however a bad personality (think T.O. of the Dallas Cowboys) can turn people off no matter how good you are.

Hey, Red Dog (and others!). OK, you've told us who you like the best out of Shizuka, Sasha, Michelle, Fumie and Irina.

That was then, this is now.

Who are you going to be a fan of this season? I'll give you Kimmie, Emily, Katy, Mao, Miki, Yu-na and Elene G. :cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah...that was their time, it's now the new kids' turn.

I always tell you guys that to me, "fan" is a very loaded word. It would have to be more like "keep an eye on". And in that case it would definitely be Meissner. As for Hughes I don't see much ahead of her...maybe a freak win in some event just like her sister and then poof, she's off to Harvard or something. I do appreciate her enthusiasm but I think I see too much "rah-rah America" in her. Same with her sister Sarah. Maybe it's because they're New Yorkers or something but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't care for Katy Taylor at all even though she's from my hometown :rock: , but if she does well I guess it's nice to have someone else REPRESENT H-Town once again.

Mao might be the new "Irina" for me, not in the real negative sense (hypocrisy) but in that I might pick her to root against.

The others will have to develop in their own right. I think it's going to be quite empty until another star can break out and hold her own.

Last edited:
I guess I'm naive, but how could anyone root against Mao? She's adorable, and so talented. I think she will be canning the cutesiness soon (since she's growing up), if that's your problem with her, RD.

I always tell you guys that to me, "fan" is a very loaded word...
It's a great word -- yay for the fanatics!

To me, what distinguishes sports from other entertainments is the vicarious "thrill of victory, agony of defeat" thing. If you don't really care who wins, you might as well just watch old movies on the Turner channel, or the Super Bowl.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao is cute and talented, but she is not a complete skater, since she does only 4 jumps (lutz, axel, flip, loop) and she hasn't gone completely through puberty yet, so we don't know how she will turn out as an 'adult' skater.

I want to see her skate when the pressure is fully on, not like last year when she had fun competing in the GP without any worries about placement on the Japanese National team. Then we will see what kind of competitor she is. Let's see if she has Fumie's grit and determination and Shizuka's serenity.

I don't think Campbells will be a pressure skate although there is money in it. I think the desire to skate well to their new program will prevail. It will be more of an exhibition skate which will give Sasha the edge. Her Dark Eyes will be difficult to beat, imo. But the others will plan strategy from this petite competition.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mao is cute and talented, but she is not a complete skater, since she does only 4 jumps (lutz, axel, flip, loop) and she hasn't gone completely through puberty yet, so we don't know how she will turn out as an 'adult' skater.

I want to see her skate when the pressure is fully on, not like last year when she had fun competing in the GP without any worries about placement on the Japanese National team. Then we will see what kind of competitor she is. Let's see if she has Fumie's grit and determination and Shizuka's serenity.

Same here.

As for Campbell's I can't help but think we as fans may be making a bigger deal out of it than the skaters themselves are. Sure, maybe the Japanese skaters and whoever else is sticking around for SA will want to use Campbell's to get comfortable out there and work out any kinks, but I think skaters like Cohen could really care less. She's probably only doing it because she has to, anyway.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about Campbell's. It's a CHEESEFEST and has no real importance in the scheme of things. The National Team thing is gimmicky anyway.

Few skaters come fully prepared in early October. I can see Kimmie and Mao doing FSs, but certainly Sasha won't be trained enough to do more than a repeat of "Dark Eyes". Mai Asada earned only 89.5 points for her FS at 4CC, and that was at the end of her season. Emily and Miki could do FSs, but both of them do better on their SPs than their long programs.

As for Campbell's I can't help but think we as fans may be making a bigger deal out of it than the skaters themselves are.
Chuckm said:
I agree about Campbell's. It's a CHEESEFEST and has no real importance in the scheme of things.
There y'all go, picking on my beloved cheesefests again. This will be the biggest event of the season. There will be a larger live and television audience for Campbell's than for any of the Grand Prix events.

Mao will win Campbell's, then Kimmie will come roaring back at Skate America. This sets up Worlds to be the Super Figure Skating Grudge Match! :rock:

For once, maybe people will actually care about who wins the World Championship.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Is there anybody who would compare what they thought of Meissner's Worlds performances vs Asada's GP final performance strictly comparing all "non jump" elements. In other words ignoring the jumps, who you think has more jump value, Mao with her triple axel and triple-triple loop combos, or Meissner with her multiple triple-triple combos and all the triples, or who has better jump quality, and how it might affect the result either way between the two; ignoring all that, how would you compare the two performances in spins, step sequences(either footwork or spiral), and overall PC segments?

Are you aware of this new website? The "author" has been posting some of the comparisons at FSU in the last week or so and it allows for very specific comparisons. He warns that there are still bugs in the system though.

http://codeofpoints.com/

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Are you aware of this new website? The "author" has been posting some of the comparisons at FSU in the last week or so and it allows for very specific comparisons. He warns that there are still bugs in the system though.

http://codeofpoints.com/

I asked that guy if it would be OK to post that over here and he never responded. Glad you have clout Spun.:clap: