Mira Leung and Her New Coach | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mira Leung and Her New Coach

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm not a person that enforce my social norms about gender, gender indentity and sexuality! Please don't accuse me of these things, because it isn't true!

Well in post number 53 you wrote

"The point is that they're called LADIES and not tomboys. This means that they should look good. "

I have trouble reading that any other way except you enforcing social norms around gender.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
That is the problem as Skate Canada does give seminars on how to dress ( hair, makeup etc ) which Mira has attended.

The fact they give those seminars implies a standard of dress which is expected for competition.

In the real working world not following the standards could mean being fired.

Not on implication alone you would not get fired. I understand that UK employment laws are much more employee friendly and are there to protect the Employee whereas US laws lag seriously behind. Not sure about Canada but i would assume that Canadian law is similar to UK law. Unless there is a rule saying though shalt not show your undies, wear torn tights or dirty skates and thou shalt wear make up on the ice, there is nothing that anyone can do abnout Mira's appearance. Further more she is not an employee of Skate Canada, they do not pay her a salary so she cannot be held to teh same rules as an employee...ho would incidentally (certainly in the UK) need at least two written warnings before being sacked!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
I was just going to lurk on this thread, but I just can't help myself. I start out by stating I mean NO disrespect to anyone.

Why is it that dress down day is client meeting permitting? I assume that it has to do with how you and your company are presenting yourself to your clients, suits are more professional than say jeans and a sweater?

I think this is the key point that many are trying to make about how Mira presented herself at Skate Canada.

And it is a point i do take and agree with - if the discussion is only about the holy tights and the dirty skates. I Absolutely agree (and also noted that in the pictures it doesn't really look as bad as people said it looked on the broadcast.

My issue with all of it is that it would have a bearing ont he marks given, because nowhere in the COP does it say marks should be deducted for holes in tights or dirty skates.

To me, make up etc is not about respect gain or lost on the ice, but under all of those tv lights it's amazing how washed out people look and how much expression in the program is missed. A little concealer/foundation and mascara can go a long way.

I'm very pleased that you don't think its about respect, i just wish the poster above that said that she shouldn't get any respect from Skate Canada for not wearing make up can be convinced that s/he is wrong with that point of view.

I do understand that skating on the ice can wash a skater out...i started a thread onthe skate canada section on Weir looking truly ill an dshould go back to wearing make up or fake tan. My comment was shallow and a little bitchy and was purely on his appearance. It did not say that smoeone should force him to wear it again, it didn't say he should lose marks int eh pCS for not wearing it, it didn't say that he hould lose USFSA funding because of it, neither did it say that he should not be given any respect from the USFSA or that he shouldn't be allowed to represen the USA in competition because of it. It is all these things that i take issue with.

And the one complaining about her facial hair is just ridiculous.

Ant

gio

Medalist
Well in post number 53 you wrote

"The point is that they're called LADIES and not tomboys. This means that they should look good. "

I have trouble reading that any other way except you enforcing social norms around gender.

Ant

Well, you're right! I misused the words! :bow: Sorry! But I'm NOT enforcing social norms. I misused the word Lady and the word tomboys. I should have used other words.
I just don't know how to explain my point of view! I try = I DON'T LIKE SLOPPY SKATERS!!!!

Is it really a crime for you if a person prefer polished skaters rather than sloppy skaters?
It seems that you prefer girls with dirty skates and men with unpolished beards! Ok, let it be!

And yes, I prefer femenine girl skaters! And this DOESN'T mean that I'm enforcing social norms!

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
My issue with all of it is that it would have a bearing ont he marks given, because nowhere in the COP does it say marks should be deducted for holes in tights or dirty skates.
Ant

COP it doesn't say! But the word "marks for presentation" says it all!!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, you're right! I misused the words! :bow: Sorry! But I'm NOT enforcing social norms. I misused the word Lady and the word tomboys. I should have used other words.
I just don't know how to explain my point of view! I try = I DON'T LIKE SLOPPY SKATERS!!!!

Is it really a crime for you if a person prefer polished skaters rather than sloppy skaters?
It seems that you prefer girls with dirty skates and men with unpolished beards! Ok, let it be!

And yes, I prefer femenine girl skaters! And this DOESN'T mean that I'm enforcing social norms!

Men with unpolished beards!!! I know of no men who polish their beards so my preference is certainly for unpolished beards!

I have absolutely no problem at all with yuor likes or dislikes whatsoever, please believe that :)

The only issue i take is with your comment about ladies and tomboys - and youve already explained that comment.

Ant :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
COP it doesn't say! But the word "marks for presentation" says it all!!

And under the current scoring system - that being the scoring system under which Mira is competing where does "Marks for presentation" appear??

Ant

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I viewed Mira's 2006 World SP & LP on you-tube. Maybe I am missing something here but she does not look sloppy to me. Both of her costumes are very nice and I think they fit her well, her hair is neat and her face sans makeup looked alright to me.

I did see the photo someone posted with Mira's p****** showing. I think wedgies are far worse as far as a skater being more exposed and I would not call wedgies sloppy just a matter of a skater 's costume not fitting well. JMO

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think skaters set out to have wedgies. If the costume doesn't fit as well as it once did due to gain or loss of a few pounds, that can happen and it is unfortunate.

But panties showing under tights/costumes is easily preventable. Mira could have chosen underwear closely matching the color of her skin, or she could have worn opaque tights instead of the see-through ones she wore.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I don't think skaters set out to have wedgies. If the costume doesn't fit as well as it once did due to gain or loss of a few pounds, that can happen and it is unfortunate.

But panties showing under tights/costumes is easily preventable. Mira could have chosen underwear closely matching the color of her skin, or she could have worn opaque tights instead of the see-through ones she wore.

Maybe but I will give her the benefit of the doubt of having a costume mishap just like the wedgie. I really don't think she would have gone out onto the ice if she knew her underwear would slip down. Hopefully she will learn from that experience and it won't happen again . Who knows she might have always worn this type of underwear and never had a problem until recently.

I hope she wears her underwear outside her costume, like Madonna, and kicks booty at Canadian Nationals.

gio

Medalist
And under the current scoring system - that being the scoring system under which Mira is competing where does "Marks for presentation" appear??

Ant

I have to admit that you're right again! I checked and ISU doesn't use the word presentation in the definitions of the program components! They use these words instead that have a similiar meaning = carriage, style, individuality/personality, design, expression of the music's style and character. I mean that from what I understand in English!
With a sloppy appareance you don't have a style (well maybe a sloppy style). And especially a sloppy appareance doesn't express well the music's style and character. Just my humil opinion.
What do you think?

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Men with unpolished beards!!! I know of no men who polish their beards so my preference is certainly for unpolished beards!

:laugh: Wow! I thought that unpolished beards means something!
Did you see that I'm not an English speaker, so sorry if I'm making spelling mistakes and unproper use of the language! How can I say that : messy beards, maybe?

gio

Medalist
I have absolutely no problem at all with yuor likes or dislikes whatsoever, please believe that :)

The only issue i take is with your comment about ladies and tomboys - and youve already explained that comment.

Ant :)

;) :)

gsrossano

Final Flight

Ant

Symantics aside, it is generally understood (at least among the officials) that the criteria formerly captured in the mark for "Presentation" (composition, variation in speed, use of ice, timing, carriage/style, originality, expression of the music) are now captured in the three program components for Performance/Execution, Choreography, and Interpretation, together with other additional criteria. In effect, these three of the five PC marks are presentation marks, though that usage is indeed jargon. The three PC marks listed above, are the new and improved presentation marks of IJS, even if that word (presentation) doesn't explicitly appear in any rule.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
:laugh: Wow! I thought that unpolished beards means something!
Did you see that I'm not an English speaker, so sorry if I'm making spelling mistakes and unproper use of the language! How can I say that : messy beards, maybe?

Apologies - i hope you didn't think i was laughing at your english - i honestly hadn't really realised that English wasn't your first language. I'm a big fan of humourous foreign language mishaps (of which i have had many myself), but i thought you were just being humourous being as how we had discussed polished skates and untidy beards and i thought you'd made a joke!!

Messy beards is good, unkempt might be another word you could use in relation to beards...if i'm honest i'm not that bothered by beards (no matter how messy!) i know that someone mentioned the number of guys that weren't clean shaven for the Olympics...personally i quite like the stubble look, but again that's just personal taste and preference - my father would hate it, and my work don't mind me having stubble all the time!

Ant

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I have to admit that you're right again! I checked and ISU doesn't use the word presentation in the definitions of the program components! They use these words instead that have a similiar meaning = carriage, style, individuality/personality, design, expression of the music's style and character. I mean that from what I understand in English!
With a sloppy appareance you don't have a style (well maybe a sloppy style). And especially a sloppy appareance doesn't express well the music's style and character. Just my humil opinion.
What do you think?

I would say that the words i've highlighted in bold above relate to the skating/program and not the actual skater. Just like the old presentation mark was about the presentation of the skating/programme and not the skater.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Symantics aside, it is generally understood (at least among the officials) that the criteria formerly captured in the mark for "Presentation" (composition, variation in speed, use of ice, timing, carriage/style, originality, expression of the music) are now captured in the three program components for Performance/Execution, Choreography, and Interpretation, together with other additional criteria. In effect, these three of the five PC marks are presentation marks, though that usage is indeed jargon. The three PC marks listed above, are the new and improved presentation marks of IJS, even if that word (presentation) doesn't explicitly appear in any rule.

And like i said "presentation" under the old system was a jargon term encompassing everythnig you list above, which does not include make up, cleaning of skates and holes in tights.

Ant

LizzieBeth

Rinkside
I think that comparing a skater's appearance to what is needed for a job interview is a good analogy. Skaters need to be neat and avoid costume glitches so that they don't get negative reviews about their grooming. As far as the makeup goes, that should be a personal choice. Wouldn't it be possible to use makeup to create a natural effect and avoid looking washed out?? Heavy eye makeup and dark lipstick are so unnecessary on a young girl.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think that comparing a skater's appearance to what is needed for a job interview is a good analogy. Skaters need to be neat and avoid costume glitches so that they don't get negative reviews about their grooming. As far as the makeup goes, that should be a personal choice. Wouldn't it be possible to use makeup to create a natural effect and avoid looking washed out?? Heavy eye makeup and dark lipstick are so unnecessary on a young girl.

I guess the even bigger difficulty on the skater is chpsing how to use the make up. I've been at skating events where watching (even from the front row) the make up seems fine, the skater looks in the realms of "normal amount of make up" and then i've seen and spoken tot eh skaters after the event and up close and personal it is clearly very overdone make up so that the people in teh stands and the judges get a full appreciation of it. So as a skater, do you put it on the spectators including the judges, or for the TV viewers (if the event is televised?)

Ant