Will Lysacek complete a Michael Weiss-like career? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Lysacek complete a Michael Weiss-like career?

Will Evan Lysacek's career end up as Michael Weiss's did?

• yes he will indeed go onto to a Weiss-like career from here

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • no he will have a better career then Weiss and add more World medal(s)

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • he will not even be able to go onto a Weiss-like career

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
So true about Mira Leung. Every time I read a Mira thread I'm like, what the ???? Is she an ax murderer or what?

Every skater is out there doing the best he or she can, striving to get better, hoping to make his or her mark. I say, good on 'em. :yes:

krenseby

Final Flight
Sorry, but I don´t see any importance for a skater being US National champion. The Nationals should be regarded only as a ticket to Worlds, Olympics, and no more (IMO). It only matters that a skater is among top three. I see it as a huuuuge mistake that Lysacek put so much importance for becoming the US champion this season and was so set on winning the title that he gave his best performance two months too early, huh. He should have saved that determination and concentration for Worlds!!!

I sure hope very much that Lysacek will not repeat that mistake next season... It is not sensible to pay attention to media fluffs, better to concentrate on the big picture = the most important competition of the season.

You took the words right out of my mouth Jaana. Why was Lysacek so obsessed with scoring his best against Weir who had a terrible season and would have likely lost to him anyway.

A waste of effort!

You took the words right out of my mouth Jaana. Why was Lysacek so obsessed with scoring his best against Weir who had a terrible season and would have likely lost to him anyway.

A waste of effort!
I am always puzzled by this sentiment. If Lysacek had held back at U.S. Nationals, been more nonchalant in his preparation, maybe even thrown the contest to Weir -- would that have made him skate better at Worlds?

I think the best stategy is to treat every competition seriously. My goodness, they only skate three or four times a year. It's not like, I better hold back at the Eric Bompard Trophy because I will be doing Four Continents two months later.

Quite naturally Evan wants to be the best in the U.S. Why wouldn't he?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
First, I want to state that I really love Lysacek, Weir, Sandhu and Lambiel. (Among most others.) Nationals is very important to all of them as without that, they couldn't go to World's & Olympics. I think Dick and others all have said that it is really the hardest for that reason. I cannot understand why everyone holds it against Weiss loving his family so much. I also don't understand why they think him carrying his baby after that win was so bad. Cold doesn't give you a cold. Germs do. I don't think it would be that much colder on the ice. I know it would a little from the ice and the breeze from the movement across the ice. The biggest problem there would be all the germs, etc. from the people.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei Yagudin never won Russian nationals (!), but with four world championships and an Olympic gold medal, I don't think he is losing any sleep over it, LOL. Russian skaters in particular do seem to regard their national championship as mostly a testing ground to try to impress the Federation to put them on the world team, rather than a worthy achievement in its own right.
I've never felt that Alexei never won the Russian Nationals but he was not the Golden Boy of Russia so why should they give him the title??

I never really liked Mike when he competed, not that I didn't think he was a good skater, but his programs were lacking. Now, that he is in some pro programs, I like him.

Evan is still a question mark for me.

Dee

dutchherder

Final Flight
First, I want to state that I really love Lysacek, Weir, Sandhu and Lambiel. (Among most others.) Nationals is very important to all of them as without that, they couldn't go to World's & Olympics. I think Dick and others all have said that it is really the hardest for that reason. I cannot understand why everyone holds it against Weiss loving his family so much. I also don't understand why they think him carrying his baby after that win was so bad. Cold doesn't give you a cold. Germs do. I don't think it would be that much colder on the ice. I know it would a little from the ice and the breeze from the movement across the ice. The biggest problem there would be all the germs, etc. from the people.

Bless you, Grgranny, for having some sense! :thumbsup:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Just an FYI, folks:

If you like Johnny Weir, it's okay to like Evan Lysacek as well.

If you like Michelle Kwan, it's okay to like Sasha Cohen.

It's possible! I've done it!

Some of you guys act like Evan Lysacek ate your last Fig Newton or something. Give the kid a break!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Just an FYI, folks:

Some of you guys act like Evan Lysacek ate your last Fig Newton or something. Give the kid a break!

:biggrin: For some, they would like Evan Lysacek more if there were no Johnny Weir. They would like Sasha Cohen more if there were no Michelle Kwan.

kittycat26

Match Penalty
Just an FYI, folks:

As a Johnny Weir fan I can give you an answer to a large part of the difficulty some individuals may have liking both Lysacek and Weir. Being the leading American man is very important to the medal prospects either may have at the world level. With the depth of the current mens field both men being on the podium together at the world level is a near impossible situation, one of them being there is enough of a challenge and achievement if it happens, both together a virtual impossibility. Thus being in the position of the leading American is of monumental importance to the careers of both indiviuals, and why a mutal embracing of both skaters by fans is less likely.

krenseby

Final Flight
Thank you for clearing that up. :) For my part, I have no quarrel with anyone, not even Temperboy, LOL.

Wow, that was quite a statement, Mathman... Does Temperboy quarrel with people more than others? I only noticed that he posted threads that are a bit controversial but other than that, I wasn't that bothered by his presence.

Wow, that was quite a statement, Mathman... Does Temperboy quarrel with people more than others?
No, I meant I quarrel with Temperboy more than with anyone else ;) (TB is a particular friend of Kittycat, hence the reference.)

Kasey

Medalist
Interesting...three "unique" posters, all using the same computer, all with some of the exact same prejudices, good or bad, against certain skaters. Um....yeah..."interesting".

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am always puzzled by this sentiment. If Lysacek had held back at U.S. Nationals, been more nonchalant in his preparation, maybe even thrown the contest to Weir -- would that have made him skate better at Worlds?

I think the best stategy is to treat every competition seriously. My goodness, they only skate three or four times a year. It's not like, I better hold back at the Eric Bompard Trophy because I will be doing Four Continents two months later.

I agree that a skater needs to treat every competition seriously and try to skate his best. With being serious there are different variations, in my opinion. With Lysacek it felt like his life depended on winning at US Nationals. He went way over the top in his determination, I believe. That kind of performance one is normally able to give only once during the season and Lysacek should have saved it to Worlds.

E.g. Kwan gave a magical freeskate performance at 1998 US Nationals, but in the Nagano Olympics she was not able to repeat it and got silver medal.

Last edited:
But to me the question is, supposed Kwan had held something back at U.S. Nationals and not gone all out. Would that have made her skate better at Nagano?

I do not see how skating well at Nationals made Lysacek skate badly at Worlds. Why not skate well twice?

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Who cares if Lysacek had skated well at Worlds or not. Even his best skate in the free skate would have only gained him 4th place. His 3 mistakes cost him only 5.5 points outright, to think he would have gained 6 more points on PCS and GOE with only 5.5 worth of mistakes would be far fetched to put it mildly. Lambiel had 8 points lost outright by mistakes in his free skate, if we assume a skater loses over double their points of mistakes in lost PCS and GOE should we assume Lambiel would then have scored a 177? If one is assuming Lysacek could have gained the points to even squeek out the bronze, even with a clean free skate, that would seem to be the case.

He was probably best to have his greatest skate at U.S Nationals when he actually could have won something with it, without skaters like Joubert, Lambiel, and Takahashi there to beat him. Although as it turns out, the way Weir skated, and the way the USFSA was backing Evan from the start, he didnt really need it there either.

Last edited:
I agree with that. A skater should go all out to win whatever event he is skating in -- it might be his last chance to win anything at all.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
But to me the question is, supposed Kwan had held something back at U.S. Nationals and not gone all out. Would that have made her skate better at Nagano?

I believe that she went all out at US Nationals and because of that she was not able to go all out in Nagano.

I do not see how skating well at Nationals made Lysacek skate badly at Worlds. Why not skate well twice?

I think that most skaters fail to really go all out in two performances during a season. Always one of them is a much or at least somewhat better performance. Of course one needs to skate really well in Nationals to qualify for Worlds, but not like one´s life depended on winning the National title (especially if there are three slots for Worlds). That kind of ultimate performance, determination and feeling one needs to bring into Worlds or Olympics.

Last edited:

scorekeeper

On the Ice
I have to agree with Jaana. It's like Uncle Dick always says, "Don't leave it on the practice ice." Same principal. I'm not saying this holds true for everyone, but you want to peak at the right time. You don't want to peak at Nationals in an Olympic year, or if you've got your sights on a World medal.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I believe that she went all out at US Nationals and because of that she was not able to go all out in Nagano.

or maybe it was because she was under the overwhelming pressure as the heavy favorite to win the gold medal, despite Tara being the reigning World and last years U.S Champion. The kind of pressure Lysacek certainly was never under at this years Worlds.

I think that most skaters fail to really go all out in two performances during a season. Always one of them is a much or at least somewhat better performance. .

Michelle Kwan-1996 U.S Nationals, 1996 Worlds
Tara Lipinski-1997 U.S Nationals, 1997 Worlds
Michelle Kwan-2003 U.S Nationals, 2003 Worlds
Michael Weiss-1999 U.S Nationals, 1999 Worlds
Johnny Weir-2004 U.S Nationals, 2004 Worlds
Meno/Sand-1994 U.S Nationals, 1994 Olympics
Meno/Sand-1995 U.S Nationals, 1995 Worlds
Ina/Dungen-1997 U.S Nationals, 1997 Worlds

Since you seem to follow U.S skaters closely, do any of those ring a bell?

As I said anyway Evan would not have medaled at Worlds even with a clean free skate. The scoring protocals make that pretty obvious, he probably would have moved up to 4th, but that is it. He was best to have his best performance at an event he actually could have won something, especialy since it is possible Weir may have delivered a better performance had Lysacek not skated as well as he had.