Which of the 4 disciplines will be most exciting this coming season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which of the 4 disciplines will be most exciting this coming season?

R.D.

Record Breaker
All four disciplines will be exciting just in the U.S. alone, especially dance.

Are Belbin and Agosto really vulnerable? Or are they just lulling everyone into a false sense of security, preparing to pounce out for the kill?

Will Davis and White become the next superstars, battling training mates Virtue and Moir next year for Global Supremacy? Or will they take a slower and steadier path to the top?

My pick: Melissa and Denis all the way! :rock:

In ladies, it's the new kids on the block. Caroline, Mirai, Ashley, Rachael. Flash in the pan? Or will they have us saying "Michelle who? Sasha who?" next year.

Can't overlook the battle of the titans, King Kong Johnny versus Evan "Godzilla" Lysacek, toe to toe for all the marbles.

Nah, seriously. You'd make an excellent promoter...such drama! :laugh:

I'll admit I'm more interested in national skating than I am in international skating this year.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Awesome thread Sluskayafan - and fantastic set up for the upcoming season!!!!

I can't wait to see what Mao and Yu Na Kim come up with, and to see them looking strong and ready at their debut (I hope they do!!!!). It will be really interesting to see what MIki's new status translates into this year (a confindence boost - pressure???) I would love to Rochette step up; Caro Kostner to skate clean and to just be able to show off her skills (btw, I thanks Joe I believe, Rgirl and maybe a few others for pointing out to me a couple of years ago just how intersting and talented Caro is), and Kimmie continue to be strong with her jumps (clean them up, land them etc.) and competition nerves; Can't wait for Michelle to debut her level 4 footwork and spirals, and Sasha to land her triple triples ...LOL (just fantasizing again)!

Meier, Pokyio...a few others (Giesdeshivvill....sp?????) I will be watching out for too!

The Men: oh dear - so much to hope for and anticipate. So, first - a wish: I truly wish to see Lambiel skate clean and to skate to his Flamenco program from worlds. I'm hoping that Joubert's new training program from last year is revised for this year and that he sticks to it because it clearly benefited him. Having him strong, steady and consistent puts - imo - a nice competitive twist into the men's field. I hope Takahashi's season last year means he is not a consistent competitor and someone to beware of - i Just love his skating; I am rooting for Johnny to come back strong, in shape, and competitive - and so too with Buttle; with just these guys - Lambiel, Taka, Joubert, WEir and Buttle we could have awesome comps -- Now add a potential Plushenko comeback; Oda figuring out how not to do too many combos (maybe some improved footwork too) and maybe doing quads; Verner, Lysacek and the list goes on - the men's comp could be a nailbiter. god, I hope so!

Pairs and dance - have to think about: real quick S/S are likely to dominate - I hope Pang and Tong shine too.

Dance - I would love to see more D/S - but there are so many great teams; I'd love to see the Del/Shoes on the podium.

I am definitely with you in that the singles events seem to be the more exciting disciplines going into this season, with more storylines and subplots then the pairs and dance.

emma

Record Breaker
In my opinion, I can pick the best skater(s), but I can't yet predict who will win. however the skaters (teams) I am most interested in seeing are:

Mao, Kim, Zhang, Wagner, Oster.

Joe

Joe, what about Rachel Flatt - not on your radar? I ask because you have great radar!

emma

Record Breaker
Dube/Davison, Putnam/Wirtz, Evora/Ladwiq, Kawaguchi/Smirnov, Vlassov/Meekins, McLaughlin/Brubaker (and a look at Duhamel/Buntin)

Davis/White, Navarro/Bommentre, Virtue/Moir, Carron/Jose, Cappellini/LaNotte

The big names I left out is because I don't see anything special coming up this season. They know their game and so do l.

Joe

Oh my - while I do pay a bit more attention to singles, and I find the fields very exicting right now - I totally forgot about all this great Dance drama -- right on!

Also I could I forget to mention K/S or V/M shame on me!! I can't wait to see what and how they do. I would also love to see Dube ad Davison do well, and many others (N/L in the Us for example). And honestly, I just am not a huge Baldwin and partner (I just blanked on her name, sorry) - but I admire their tenancity and work ethic, and for sentimental reasons would love to see them on the world podium (for her, I wish it could have been in Japan).

Hey emma- You've got to see Caron/Jost and if you haven't already take a look at youtube. You will get all stirred up as I did when watching them and hearing Edith Piaf bang out those old tunes. Vivre La France

I wish I could bring the link here but I'm dumb when it come to that sort of thing.

Joe

z4mboni

Rinkside
Actually, it looks like all of the disciplines will be very exciting for me this season. I wasn't much into dance or pairs until recently, but Virtue/Moir got me hooked on dance again, and Pang/Tong have a chance to become my new favorites in pairs. Their rivarly, with D/W and S/S recpectively, should make things interesting again.

I'm also very interested in a few of Japanese novices - one of them is moving up to juniors this season, for the rest I'll have to wait a few seasons. ;) I just hope they won't have problems with their respective growth spurts. :)

all that

Final Flight
For me, the most exciting discipline is definitely ice dance. The rivalry between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White is something I can't wait to see. With their very different styles, and ability to compete against one another, yet remain friends and good sportsmen, I am reminded of the rivalry between Gordeeva/Grinkov and Mishkutenok/Dmitriev -- and the last time I truly loved to watch skating.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
For me, the most exciting discipline is definitely ice dance. The rivalry between Virtue/Moir and Davis/White is something I can't wait to see. With their very different styles, and ability to compete against one another, yet remain friends and good sportsmen, I am reminded of the rivalry between Gordeeva/Grinkov and Mishkutenok/Dmitriev -- and the last time I truly loved to watch skating.

I like thinking of Moir/Virtue and Davis/White as a nice building rivalry. However Davis/White have to actually beat Moir/Virtue somewhere before it truly becomes a rivalry IMHO.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
To me the most exciting disciplines will be men and ladies. I´m curious how Kim and Asada are succeeding in competitions now and hoping that Susanna Poykio will have a good season and has succeeded in getting the footwork faster and her stamina a lot better. She is though anyway my favourite Finnish lady skater, although I like Korpi also. I´m not that excited about Ando, but will be curious to see how she succeeds in defending her title. I´m though excited about Hughes and will be looking forward to her new programmes. I have a feeling that Meissner might have a better season than 2006-2007.

If the judging will be at least somewhat fair, the men´s Worlds competition will be really something to watch. So many exciting skaters fighting for a place on the podium: Lambiel, Plushenko, Verner, Lysacek, Takahashi and Oda. Oh yes, of course there is also Joubert competing about a place on the podium. Weir sounds very competive on paper (journal, etc.), but that is nothing new. It will be exciting to see though whether his new coach will make a difference.

Pairs, I don´t care the robotic Savchenko/Szolkowy, but I do like e.g. Pang/Tong and the Russian pair Kawaguchi/Smirnov very much. Will be missing Shen/Zhao... Anway, pairs competition is excitng to watch.

Dance (without Denkova & Stavisky), I don´t really care about the discipline that much, but will watch at least the freedance.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Hey emma- You've got to see Caron/Jost and if you haven't already take a look at youtube. You will get all stirred up as I did when watching them and hearing Edith Piaf bang out those old tunes. Vivre La France

I wish I could bring the link here but I'm dumb when it come to that sort of thing.

Joe

I'll check it out - I often am Youtube impaired - can't seem to find things that everyone else does, so if anyone has links, it would be very appreciated!

I'll check it out - I often am Youtube impaired - can't seem to find things that everyone else does, so if anyone has links, it would be very appreciated!
Caron/Jost

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=Caron+Jost&btnG=Google+Search&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv

Not only am I also You Tube impaired, but sometimes You Tube doesn't like to be on at the same time that I have a Golden Skate window open. My computer rebels.

However...Google bought You Tube a while back, so now you can get directly to You Tube from a Google "Videos" search. Just go to Google, click on Videos and type in Canon Jost and you're there.

Plus -- if you want to know what America's watching, you can click on "Top 100." ;)

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much MM!!!!

Joe - this link provided by MM shows a very interesting performance to music that has a techno rythm/sound -- I'm not hearing Edith Piaf (I'm thinking La vie en rose???)...is there another link that you know of?

Mathman - I always thought Leslie was spelled with one r. Apparently you have to google in Carron/Jost (with 2 r's) to get the Cup of China one which is the loudest. Be sure it is Free Dance and not Original Dance.

btw - that link you posted gave me a whole different idea of their skating. While it must have been just an exhibition, I think it would have been banned in Boston. Wow.

Joe

all that

Final Flight
I like thinking of Moir/Virtue and Davis/White as a nice building rivalry. However Davis/White have to actually beat Moir/Virtue somewhere before it truly becomes a rivalry IMHO.

Well, D/W did beat V/M at the Golden Waltz at 4CC last season. I expect that, in the future, D/W and V/M will be flipping places during each phase of competitions where they appear together. Hopefully in the upcoming season, that will be the GPF, 4CC, and Worlds.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I think it's Tessa's extensive ballet training and their ability to connect to each other so well that gives Virtue and Moir the big advantage that always landed them on top of Meryl and Charlie. Besides, V & M have much better edge quality, musicality and flow, the only couple out there that reminds me of the sheer magic of Silverstein and Pekarek. I personally prefer Davis and White, so it's to my dismay that I must acknowledge the other team's superiority, but I hope in time Meryl and Charlie will be able to catch up to the expression level of their teammates.