Oda set to receive suspension for several months | Golden Skate

Oda set to receive suspension for several months

Kasey

Medalist
It seems harsh. But, if the suspension were to start right now, it would be over the end of October, and he wouldn't miss the GP series. Not sure why that can't happen.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hmm...."sewing his wild oats" I guess. Well at least he is not going to jail like Paris Hilton. I am sure Oda will learn his lesson and be on his best behavior for future skating events. Maybe this will teach him a lesson. Let's hope so.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think that's pretty harsh. I wonder what they would've done if Tonya Harding had been their skater!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In the light that in Japan people have lost their jobs because of DUI (mentioned on FSU), I don´t think that Oda´s punishment was too harsh, after all.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
So I guess the punishment is pretty hard.

I agree. But there's nothing we can do about it, right? I'm not a fan, still feel very sorry for Nobunari.

Damn. he's one of the top 10 skaters in the World, and although quadless, he can make sure the Members of the Quad Club skate their best because he's right behind them.

I think a monetary fine could have been enough, and the bad publicity he got was more than enought. JMO

Joe

calica

Final Flight
The worse thing is the punishment to the fans who will see it neither in Canada nor in Paris :(

Kypma

Final Flight
Will he be replaced by someone else in his Grand Prix events? I was kind of looking forward to seeing him at Skate Canada, my first ever live competition...

Kypma

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Will he be replaced by someone else in his Grand Prix events? I was kind of looking forward to seeing him at Skate Canada, my first ever live competition...

Kypma

Does anyone know how his replacement (if any) would be chosen? Does the host federation get to invite anyone it wants? Does it have to invite another skater from Japan?

Kypma

Final Flight
Arent there little esses (s) under the entrants names?

Oh yeah... thanks, Joesitz. I guess in all the hype I forgot some things...
Actually, I saw these for the Lake Placid JPG, but the list for Skate Canada has no substitutes mentionned...
official list

Kypma

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Basically, the host federation can select any skater (doesn't have to be from Japan) on the list of top 75 seasonal best scores (2006-07) who doesn't already have 2 GP assignments -- see this list posted at FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1411347&postcount=271
Skate Canada has a natural choice in Chipeur. Othman would also be an attractive possibility.

edited to add: Oh wait, that's stupid. Skate Canada already has Chipeur. They could make a deal. If the France event will take Chipeur, Skate Canada will take whoever the french federation nominates. The French federation can then auction it off for futher considerations among China (Li), Switzerland (Othman) or Russia (Griazev). :yes:

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
blah

If im not mistaken, they go by the top skaters list for replacements.

I think Oda deserves this. It was a stupid mistake, and he deserves to be punished. If this was Meissner or Asada, I think people would see this as more justifiable because they are woman, while I believe this is exactly what Oda deserved.