How do US Ladies retain three spots? | Golden Skate

How do US Ladies retain three spots?

sk8mvn

Rinkside
I read somewhere on the forums about how high Wagner, Liang and Meissner have to finish to retain three spots for US Ladies in 2009, and going forward into the all-important Olympic year, but can't find that post now :frown:.

How high do they have to place to retain three spots??

Thanks,
sk8mvn

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The top 2 have to finish with a combined placement of 13 or less. Like 4 and 9, which Kimmie and Emily did last year. But if we loose a spot this year, we will surely get it back next year.

flying camel

Medalist
They need to come to skate. This is serious business. Also, if they have mistakes they need to get up and finish the program.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
They need to come to skate. This is serious business. Also, if they have mistakes they need to get up and finish the program.

It is very possible that we will not be able to save the 3rd spot. If thats' the case, let's concentrate on sending 2 powerhouses next year to get it back.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah the total has to be an aggregate of 13. The broader question is can the US women do it and the answer is most likely not. Kimmie would normally be considered a top five so either of the other two would have to place eighth or better - not a sure thing. Now the Kimmie is questionable, it seems unlikely that there will be three US women sent year. I'm hoping that they can hold on to two at this point. But for 2010, no problem, there will be three slots, considering who we have coming up through the ranks.

kandidy

Final Flight
Cross finger and pray Kimmie doesn't mess below her average performance this year. Hope Ashley doesn't get banged for underrotate jump. Liang.... I lost hope with her after I saw her 4cc performance.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
At this point, I'd say it's not too likely for the US to retain the three spots. Though it could happen. For example, Ashley could be around 9th and Kimmie around 4th - not exactly a miracle. After all, Meissner's personal best is the fourth highest of all participants, and Wang has been doing very well this season.

Skye

On the Ice
At this point, I'd say it's not too likely for the US to retain the three spots. Though it could happen. For example, Ashley could be around 9th and Kimmie around 4th - not exactly a miracle. After all, Meissner's personal best is the fourth highest of all participants, and Wang has been doing very well this season.

Though Kimmie's personal best is 4th highest, her seasonal best is only 9th among the entries and that score is from Skate America, which shows how her season has been getting just worse and worse. Ashley at her best is still yet to break 160 due to flutzing, under-rotations, low level spins and the juniorish style she has. That score would put her barely in the top 10 according to last year's results. Bebe - even the fans are telling her to "have a good time out there" so what more can we expect from her? Should the US retain its three spots, I would call it a miracle.

Dennis

Rinkside
They need to chack Bebe and bring on Hacker. As much as I love me some Bebe ...She is not the girl to bring on board. But maybe this is a last prize for her after all her years....Lori Nichols is a 6.0 person and she is a thing of the past

So much doomsday on this thread. We all know the pros and cons of the Team, and no one is saying anything definitive about the outcome but find it to be another exciting contest besides the podium.

I wonder what those same posters would think of the Olympic Team?

btw, what exactly is a juniorish style? and what is a seniorish style? and what is a somewhere-in-between style? Are they opinions or are they facts? The juniorish styles I saw on TV recently looked darn good.

Joe

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
So much doomsday on this thread. We all know the pros and cons of the Team, and no one is saying anything definitive about the outcome but find it to be another exciting contest besides the podium.

I wonder what those same posters would think of the Olympic Team?

btw, what exactly is a juniorish style? and what is a seniorish style? and what is a somewhere-in-between style? Are they opinions or are they facts? The juniorish styles I saw on TV recently looked darn good.

Joe

Nothing definitive about the outcome? Well maybe that's because some of us are hoping for the best but fearing the worst. Or vice versa.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I think there is too much fear here anyway. Why don't we all relax a little? If we lose a spot on the world team, we will get it back next year. With the raw power we have coming up through the ladies' ranks right now, we can not possibly have less than the legal maximum of berths come 2010. :biggrin:

I think there is too much fear here anyway. Why don't we all relax a little? If we lose a spot on the world team, we will get it back next year. With the raw power we have coming up through the ladies' ranks right now, we can not possibly have less than the legal maximum of berths come 2010. :biggrin:
Let the Games begin! Amen.

I'm not fixated on the Ladies. Just hoping that the total points add up to 13
I never know with my one and only favorite. Lambiel causes nail biting.
I prefer Pang and Tong but can easily accept the others.
I prefer Carron and Jost but they have about as much chance as they would in a ski event.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
They need to chack Bebe and bring on Hacker. As much as I love me some Bebe ...She is not the girl to bring on board. But maybe this is a last prize for her after all her years....Lori Nichols is a 6.0 person and she is a thing of the past

First of all...let's cheer on Ashely, Bebe and Kimmie and hope that the US doesn't drop down to two slots in the ladies event for 2009.

Katrina Hacker has had very limited international experience...IIRC, a JGP and 4CC. That is not to say that she could not rise to the occaision and do well at Worlds. She performed nicely at 4CC and could potentially raise her skating to another level at Worlds if given the chance. But, as it stands, we have Wagner, Liang and Meissner. Here's hoping that they all have been training hard and are ready for the challenge ahead!

The argument presented above by Dennis saying that Lori Nichol is in the old 6.0 school...I disagree with that. I think that is a matter of what the skater takes away from the choreographer and makes it their own. Nichol's 2007-2008 programs included Patrick Chan, Evan Lysacek, International Juniors Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, and Rachael Flatt, as well as Bebe and Kimmie. I think most of these skaters understand the levels, it is just that they may not always execute them.

Didn't Nichols also do Shen and Zhao's Meditation last season? That is one of my all-time favorite skates. I'm in awe at the way she (and they) melded the technical and artistic demands of CoP with that exquisite music.