The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

• Sasha Cohen

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 103 33.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Kurt Browning

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Elvis Stojko

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 94 30.3%
  • Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Jamie Sale / David Pelletier

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Others (maybe some icedancers?)

Votes: 21 6.8%

• Total voters
It's only the fans who recognize the names.

The most recognizeable athlete today is Beckham! If you don't know who he is it is because you are not a fan of soccer. But just about all Europeans are and Asians too.

Joe

I'm not sure about the intention of the person who started the poll (All That Jazz), but to me the interesting question is, who has transcended the sport to become a celebrity in his/her own right. Joe mentions Beckham in countries where people are interested in soccer (most of the world except for the USA :laugh: I just read, BTW, that he is a big flop with his new team in Spain, and that the audiences are routinely booing him.) In the US, athletes like Michael Jordan (retired) and Tiger Woods (also having a bad year, for him) are well known even by people who don't care about basketball or golf.

So I would be curious to know what kind of name recognition Michelle has. In the past, most people in the US knew Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill and Kristi Yamaguchi, but not some equally talented skaters such as Carole Heiss. I would imagine that most people in Germany have heard of Katarina Witt, even if they don't follow figure skating.

I think I will conduct a poll here in Detroit. I will stand on the street corner and ask the first 100 people who come by, "Who won the last two Olympic gold medals in figure skating." I am willing to bet that the most frequent answer will be, "Kristi Yamaguchi and Michelle Kwan!"

Mathman;)

Mathman - Carol Heiss was extremely known throughout the world during her time. She even made a movie (albeit with the 3 Stooges) that went to overseas markets after her gold Oly.

Joe

Norlite

On the Ice
Mathman......

:laugh: We did do something similar to your standing on a street corner a while back on another board. this board has many posters from Europe and Asia, probably half North American, half EUR and Asia.

During a few days this spring, we had posters asking people in their workplaces to name 5 figure skaters. I believe the winners were Kat Witt and Dorothy Hamill.

But we did have a good selection of other names, but mostly World or Olympic champions. One poor misguided soul was trying to think of "those two Canadian guys", and finally came up with the answer. Kurt Browning and Elvis Presley. :laugh:

curious

Final Flight
I'm sure some people recognize Plushenko in Spain since he goes there every summer. He was in Jaca a few weeks ago with Mishin.

And Alexei takes the lead over Michelle, 28 to 27!

Help, help! The board has been taken over by Yagudin fans!;)

Sadie

On the Ice
I think Michelle is the most well known here in America, even if people don't like her style.

Chele615

Rinkside
That was tough...but I chose Kurt Browning! I don't really know if he's loved worldwide, but I know at least in North America, he is loved! He's a true class act and you can tell that he loves doing what he is doing. Plus, he is just a nice guy! :)

windspirit

On the Ice
And to think that I almost voted for Michelle. :laugh: But it says "worldwide", so I voted for Alexei. Evgeni is right behind him, I think... He's getting more and more popular as we speak.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I think the words "popular" and "beloved" mean two different things. When I think of popular skaters, sure Michelle and Alexei come to mind. But when I think of beloved skaters, I think of Katia Gordeeva. So I voted for other.

Ruby Tuesday

Spectator
From what I know:

USA: Kwan, Cohen, Gordeeva, Eldredge, Browning, Yagudin
Canada: Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Browning, Stojko, Yagudin
Europe: Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Anissina/Peizerat
Japan: Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt, Slutskaya, Honda, Suguri

Hi, Ruby T. Great name. Welcome to the forum.

I see that Alexei Y. is the only skater to make every list. I guess he is the one with truly international appeal.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Michelle!

He's a true class act and you can tell that he loves doing what he is doing. Plus, he is just a nice guy!

This can also be said for Michelle:) Like or dislike her skating you have to admit as a human being (so far) she is a success.

Piel

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
Ruby Tuesday said:
From what I know:

USA: Kwan, Cohen, Gordeeva, Eldredge, Browning, Yagudin
Canada: Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Browning, Stojko, Yagudin
Europe: Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Anissina/Peizerat
Japan: Plushenko, Yagudin, Abt, Slutskaya, Honda, Suguri

Are you sure about the European list? Although Evgeni does more shows in Germany, I think Alexei is much more popular in Europe.