So You Think You Can Dance season 4 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance season 4

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For some reason, Nigel gets on my nerves, not quite sure why but he does.

I'm hoping Shane will do something for the show. I know what you mean Toni, I always liked what he had to say. I think my respect grew for him last year when the one very short guy auditioned and Shane stood up and gave him a standing ovation. He said he knew he could get him parts in a movie. I think the short guy was at the finale. I can't remember the guy's name but I hope that Shane kept his word.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know which kid you are talking about, Dee... the person had some sort of physical handicap as well (I can't remember what) that limited height and mobility IIRC... and yes he was in the finale last year

heyang

Record Breaker
I know which kid you are talking about, Dee... the person had some sort of physical handicap as well (I can't remember what) that limited height and mobility IIRC... and yes he was in the finale last year

This would be Bryan Gaynor. LOL - don't give me too much credit - i found the name on Shane's wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Sparks

Here's his tryout ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvIv7WArho

One thing that I really appreciate about the judges on this show is that they always try to provide constructive feedback politely, yet truthfully.

Simon Cowell does the same on AI without the politeness. I think Randy and Paula aren't critical enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So who got bumped last night?? Grrrr I fell asleep.

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Susie was the street Latin dancer with the colored streaks in her hair. She and Marquise did the Smooth Waltz the 1st week and salsa this week.

Susie was definitely the correct woman to be eliminated based on this week's bottom 3 - the other 2 were Comfort and Chelsea T. Comfort krumped with Chris and Chelsea did that jazz routine of the King and his forbidden mistress with Thayne this week. IMO, those 3 performances were the worst of this week.

The guys decision between Thayne, Marquis and Chris was a little tighter. The judges thought Marquis's solo had too many tricks and not enough dancing. I'm not sure who I would have chosen of the 3 to go home.

Katee/Joshua and Twitchington are 2 of my favorite teams.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
glad to see Susie go, then... as I was never really a big fan of hers and thought she was overrated

here's hoping I get into this show soon... Mary is turning me off in a big way this year

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
is it bad that I have no idea who either of those people are?

It is only week two. If you didn't watch all the auditions, which is totally understandable (this is the first time I did), it can take more than two shows to really get into it. Season two, I watched the first show and was so bored I didn't watch an entire show again until top 10, just half an hour each one.

On the other hand, this year's dancers aren't a very memorable bunch. Too much contemporary for the guys, not enough hip hop and ballroom. The girls overall are a boring lot. No Lacey (showmanship), Anya (maturity and poise), Sabra (passion) or Jamie (technique).

Among the guys, Will, Twitch, Joshua, Mark, Matt and Gev are all really good. Perhaps their personalities will come out more as the weeks go on. Chris and Thayne are kind of blah.

heyang

Record Breaker
It is only week two. If you didn't watch all the auditions, which is totally understandable (this is the first time I did), it can take more than two shows to really get into it. Season two, I watched the first show and was so bored I didn't watch an entire show again until top 10, just half an hour each one.

On the other hand, this year's dancers aren't a very memorable bunch. Too much contemporary for the guys, not enough hip hop and ballroom. The girls overall are a boring lot. No Lacey (showmanship), Anya (maturity and poise), Sabra (passion) or Jamie (technique).

Among the guys, Will, Twitch, Joshua, Mark, Matt and Gev are all really good. Perhaps their personalities will come out more as the weeks go on. Chris and Thayne are kind of blah.

I thought season 2 had it's standouts. Benji and Donyelle come to mind right away. Allyson & Ivan, etc. Natalie and Musa. Travis was good from the start technically, but I don't think his personality really came out until closer to the end , or at least when he was no longer paired with Martha. Some of the most memorable numbers came out of Season 2 - I realize that's part choreography, but the dancers have to pull it off too.

I do agree that most of the women seem blah. They're very talented, but other than Comfort's "I'm wearing a bra and beads" during week 1, none of them have really stood out on a non-dancing personality level.

heyang

Record Breaker
One thing that I've noticed particularly this year is that the standout dancers have some minimal 'cross training'. Joshua took a little ballet. Twitch worked on non-hip hop after missing top 20 last year. Will, as Debbie Allen's protege, has probably taken other types of dance classes.

I can't remember if I posted the Cedric update here or not. He was the hip hop guy paired with Faina (she was season 2's Stanislov's sister) last season. Debbie Allen offered him a full scholarship to her school. He is attending and will be teaching hip hop there.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I thought season 2 had it's standouts. Benji and Donyelle come to mind right away. Allyson & Ivan, etc. Natalie and Musa. Travis was good from the start technically, but I don't think his personality really came out until closer to the end , or at least when he was no longer paired with Martha. Some of the most memorable numbers came out of Season 2 - I realize that's part choreography, but the dancers have to pull it off too.

I loved the top 10 in season two. Benji, Travis, Heidi, Allison, Ryan, Ivan, Dmitry, Martha -- not so much Donyelle (I still don't get her appeal) or Natalie (way too over the top attention-seeking). When MTV ran one of its SYTYCD marathons, I watched a bit more of season two, and I realized my instinct to pick it up at the top 10 was correct. Dmitry went through a different partner every week. Some girls were very weak. Top 10, the skills and the personalities started to cook.

I'm hoping the same happens this season. Although I don't see any of the girls other than Katee and Kherington really stepping it up. If they do, Mia will no doubt do her best to knock them down. When Heidi was in the finals, Mia said to her, "I'm shocked you've made it this far. I know your limitations." Mia never got off my s^%$ list after that.

This wasn't like Marie Osmond making the finals of DWTS with negligible dancing skills but a boatload of Osmond fans. This was a young woman who was a really good dancer. Did she lack some skills? Perhaps. Is it reasonable to point that out? Yes. But don't take this dancer's accomplishments away from her by demeaning her. She didn't make the finals based on blind fan base. She made it based on the fact that the audience really liked her dancing. Respect that and respect her for how hard she worked.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I watched teh auditions, and the hell week... no one really jumped out at me this year save for Joshua and Twitch (whom I recognized from last year).

Season Two had tons of personality and great dancing... Benji and Heidi both jumped out at me from day one and it was easy to keep up by following them. The top 4 was awesome.

Season three, same thing, I was totally in love with the top 4 and would have been happy with any outcome.

this season, so far, everyone is such a dud as far as personality that it's hard to really get behind someone as they're all pretty decent dancers (though Susie seemed really overrated to me)

heyang

Record Breaker
I never thought Natalie was very 'wow' either, but she was a very good dancer. I was ticked when Allyson was eliminated before her. However, the dance world is big and I'm sure she has a lot of friends - you could tell she was well-liked by the other contestants.

I decided to a search to see what's up with former contestants.

Allyson from season 2 just had a baby and is engaged to be married.

http://allisonholkerfans.com

Most of the contestants continue to teach, choreograph and make appearances.

Season 3's Danny helped found a magazine.

http://www.movmnt.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm glad its just not me that finds this season of SYTYCD rather boring. I keep hoping I'll really get excited by someone but the ones I do like keep getting knocked down by the judges & the ones who I think have poor positions keep getting praised so I guess I'd make a poor judge of one of these competitions.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, thanks for the info .....I loved Danny and I loved watching him dance. I think the one that stands out for me right now is Twitch. He had Danny hands. I used to love watching Danny's hands.

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Twitch still has the highest applause factor for the live audience.

Adam Shankman is the guest judge.

Short tribute to Cyd Charisse whom Nigel has partnered.

Twitchington hip hop to a routine by Tabitha and Napoleon. Prison break. Don’t Touch Me by Busta Rhimes. I thought it was done pretty well. They seemed to dance at equal levels, but I’m not sure if that’s good or bad since it’s Twitch’s forte. Nigel and Mary really enjoyed it. Adam thought they did great, but gave them a couple of constructive pointers.

Courtney and Gev rhumba with Tony and Meredith. Wishing on a Star by Rose Royce. I thought they did some really nice partnering and had chemistry, which is so important to the rhumba. I really liked their line during the lift.

Comfort and Chris jazz with Tyce DiOrio. Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson. I don’t know what I think. Nigel probably said it best – it needed to be more animalistic and that the cape wasn’t used well/enough.

Doriana Sanchez works with Jessica and Will on disco. Heaven Must Have Sent You – Bonnie Pointer. I thought Will was great. I thought Jessica seemed to forget her place in a couple of places.

Kourtni and Matt learn contemporary from Sonya – this is her 1st time choreographing on SYTYCD. Comic book theme. It was a quirky, energetic number that they did well.

Chelsi and Thayne quickstep a la Heather Smith. You Can’t Hurry Love Phil Collins. It had really good moments and some so-so moments. I thought his lines were cleaner.

Chelsie and Mark hip hop with Napoleon and Tabitha. Workoholic and his significant other. Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis. The best of the night, so far, IMO.

Katee and Joshua samba by Tony and Melanie. Baila, Baila by Angela Via. I felt it was the best of all the ballroom tonight. They definitely have chemistry – smoking hot - and there was great interaction between the 2 of them. Good hips and they both kept the appropriate posture.

Top 4:
Chelsie/Mark
Katee/Joshua
Courtney/Gev
Kensington/Twitch

Bottom 3:
Chelsi/Thayne
Comfort/Chris
Jessica/Will or Kourtni/Matt – tough to call between these 2 teams. If J/W, then Will should be staying because he’s great.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Comfort and Chris = did anyone else start thinking of NavBom's OD today?

and I thought Chelsea & Thayne were good... yeah it was a little stiff, but I thought it was fun. The stupid song was annoying... too perky!

and wow... Matt was really looking like Evan tonight... spooky!

Last edited:

eliza88

On the Ice
There were several good dances last night...the highlight for me was Chelsea and Mark! They put it out there, put themselves in character...I have already rewatched it 3 times! Loved Joshua and Katee's dance, and Kherrington and Twitch. I thought Matt and Kourtni's dance was the best they have done so far...they both have such gorgeous lines! I love, love, love Will and really wish his partner was closer to his level or at least better at selling the program...she somewhat held her own last night but needs to do better. I loved how supportive he was over her dancing...what a guy! I also thought Courtney and Gev had some nice moments.

The quickstep of Chelsi and Thayne I thought was terrible...the whole thing felt very labored to me. I think both of them are in the most trouble. Chris and Comfort's dance started out fine and the judges pretty much nailed it. If they are in the bottom 3 then I think Chris has his work cut out for him since the judges haven't ever been too happy with him.

eliza88