So You Think You Can Dance season 4 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance season 4

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me what the 3 or 4 fingers on the shoulder means??

they explained it last night and for the life of me I can't remember

I am very scared that I have short term memory loss already :laugh:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Mia's "Ave Maria" routine stunk like a skunk. I sat there the whole time thinking "WTF?????" over and over and over. Almost no real dancing, and waaaaaaaaaaay too much rolling around on the floor. And they totally ripped off the "Fallen Angels" make-up.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Strange Body Language

I don't get the hand on one's own shoulder move. I noticed one of the judges (Nigel Lythgoe) kept doing it the other night and then a couple of the dancers (Twitch and Comfort) were doing it as well. Can someone please explain what this means?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if you'd read a couple posts up, we were all trying to figure it out

they DID explain several times what it meant. my memory escapes me at the moment.

It's a 'street' sign that I think just means 'for real' or something similar, but I'm not sure that's the phrase they were saying over and over last night.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alright I was correct it does mean 'for real' if you watch this part of the results show that is on Youtube at about 6:25 (give or take a second) they do the little sign and say 'for real' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhMTHuAENo - honestly I don't think it's strange body language at all, but then I come from "that generation" ;)

I loved that group number. Who knew Nigel was able to create stuff like that! :)

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
i so agree. she looks fine, wasn't wearing a cast or anything. it seems she would not have been able to do a quater of the things she had been doing with broken ribs. After those comments from Mia last week...it was either her or comfort. personally i think jessica was a great dancer, much more potential than comfort who will probably go this week.

You can't put a cast on broken ribs, it's too awkward. and You'd be suprised what dancers can do in extreme pain. My friend broke some ribs last year and she continued to skate her usual 12 hour weeks and dance about 10 hours a week until she when to the doctors and got diagnosed about 2 weeks after the fact. If the healing time is only 4 weeks it's probably not that bad of a break to begin with and dancers are always dancing in pain.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alright I was correct it does mean 'for real' if you watch this part of the results show that is on Youtube at about 6:25 (give or take a second) they do the little sign and say 'for real'
:bow: :bow: Thanks Toni :agree:

Dee

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Apropos of the article linked (thanks!) I enjoyed Lil C as a judge in his own right and think he exerted a calming influence over the panel as a whole. Or, maybe it was just a subdued night after Jessica having to leave.??

Thought Twitch was indeed clunky in the rhumba, which pains me to say because he's generally one of my faves. Loved the space/futuristic themed hiphop, though.

Gee, I thought I saw all but the opening quarter hour but I missed Mia's Ave Maria -- sounds like maybe I shouldn't be too sorry I didn't see it?

Overall a good night of dancing, I thought. That's definitely a show I enjoy more as the season progresses and the field narrows to the best of the best.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"Lil C?"

Honestly, this is a weird moniker for a grown man. I wonder how he earned that name? Sorry, I just don't get the krumping, hip hop and street lingo. Oh well....

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Thought Twitch was indeed clunky in the rhumba, which pains me to say because he's generally one of my faves. Loved the space/futuristic themed hiphop, though.

Gee, I thought I saw all but the opening quarter hour but I missed Mia's Ave Maria -- sounds like maybe I shouldn't be too sorry I didn't see it?

Twitch danced a waltz. Joshua danced the rumba.

Ave Maria was on the results show Thursday night.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, this is a weird moniker for a grown man. I wonder how he earned that name? Sorry, I just don't get the krumping, hip hop and street lingo. Oh well....
It's just like you're known here as "Ladskater." I guess I've never understood your name since you're a woman.

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Just wanted to remind everyone that Isabelle Brasseur skated in the '88(?) Olympics or Worlds with a broken rib.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Twitch danced a waltz. Joshua danced the rumba.

Ave Maria was on the results show Thursday night.

Oops, thanks for correcting my slip of the fingers.

Joshua was so funny Wed night, joking about NOT taking his shirt off all the time, etc. His personality is really coming through!

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
'94 Worlds, but that doesn't make it a sensible thing to do.

Exactly. I have a motto that pretty much applies to just about any situation: Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Dancing, skating, or performing any strenuous physical activity with broken bones really isn't a great idea, and as much as I hated to see her go, I'm glad to see that she was smart enough to bow out and let herself heal, instead of continuing on with the possibility of making the problem worse.

heyang

Record Breaker
BTW, I'm not advocating participating with broken ribs, but just pointing out that many athletes perform with pain.

Here's Lil' C's wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil'_C

http://www.slowdancingfilms.com/about.html

Editing to add:
during season 2, Natalie sat out a couple of group numbers due to a knee injury . When she danced with Dymitry in the finale, she had a knee wrap. There were also reports of back strains, etc from the constant dancing.