Sashas Edges | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Sashas Edges

gezando

Final Flight
At the top of my head I can name quite a few skaters who have much better edges than Sasha, e.g. Kristi, Yuka, Michelle, Irina, Fumie, Galina, Liashenko, Kostner. AP is a close call. Sandra has reports for at least 10 years on these skaters at skate web. As early as 1995 Peter Carruthers said Michelle has mastered her edges at 14.

Sasha has better edges than Jennifer Kirk, Suyra, and Cupcake.

Joesitz said:

Exactly! It's summertime nitpicking, and given the timing it's running into nerves with Campbell's in three weeks!

Joe

Sumertime nitpicking? or summer time fairy tale. This is just my summer musing, I have no specific fan, message board or skater in mind. ;)

There is a special breed of fans who have rich fantasies of being the knight in shining armor or fairy godmother. Sometimes these roll into one. They want to do missionary work by converting sinners of the message boards to true believers of their idols. Things never turn out the way they wanted because no one in sound mind would worship his or her favorite skater in quite the same fashion.

Even constructive criticism or minor praise of their favorites are perceived as slights. The knightfairyfodmother would intensify their defense to a delusional state. The process leaves a trail of destruction, and he or she wears that like a badge of honor. Fair minded fans of the same skater usually tread a low profile and try to ride out the summer storms. Others challenge the delusions, and that never works.

Hopefully the summer fairy tale will pass, but sometimes the summer tale lingers into the fall, winter, and spring. When all else fails pray to the skating gods for peace and serenity. Skating gods keep track of everything, and will hand out rewards or wrath at the end of the season. :D

Last edited:
Buttle's pic? It figures. He's been on my list of skaters-to-watch since we first saw him on ABC TV. Of course, I immediately go to edges and flow with new skaters. He has them in spades.

Now if he gets the dumb quad and a few more of those tricks, this guy could be on the podium in 2006.

Joe

boggartlaura

On the Ice
mzheng said:
Yes. They are good but not as polished as Sandu. Ryan seems better present himself but he is not consistant with 3A.
First, saying thatt Ryan is inconsistant with a jump when comparing him Sandhu, Mr. Inconsistency, is quite amusing.

Second, I would disagree that they have less polish than Sandhu. But they do have less plastic surgery. ;)

But I agree that Jeff is probably the best of the bunch.

shine

Record Breaker
Sandhu and Savoie are both my very favorites and I disagree that Matt is not as good as Sandhu in presentation. They are obvioulsly very different in style and expression, as Sandhu is one of the best dancers specially known for his outward flamboyance, while I see in Matt an introverted kind of passion (his Reveil SP is one of my SP's of all time). He's so musical, fluid, and lyrical and has an elegance that cannot be replicated.
On the other hand, while Jeff Buttle is musical and has some of the most sophisticated programs that are thoughtfully choreographed to enhance musical details, I feel that he, as a skater, still looks laboured at times compared to Sandhu and Savoie. He could still use some more polish if you ask me.
Just IMO.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Since when have Jeff and Emanuel have a consistent 3 axel? Plastic surgery aside, I think Sandhu is obviously the most talented. I love Jeff, but IMO I think he lacks the maturity and the ability to connect with the audience that Ryan has. But they're all, great, and America has some great guys as well has Canada.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm glad I'm a fan of all three (Emanuel (especially), Jeff and Matt) for different reasons. Now if only E and J could get consistent (3 axel amongst other things) and Matt get the dreaded quad I think they will be a challenge for the podium or the top spot at times.

I have no specific fan, message board or skater in mind...There is a special breed of fans who have rich fantasies of being the knight in shining armor or fairy godmother.
Hah! I know you are talking about me and Michelle. Everybody knows that I am Michelle's fairy godmother. Here is a picture of Michelle at 12:01 AM.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/images/pumpkin.jpg
Sasha has better edges than Jennifer Kirk.
If you say so, Gezando.

But that got me to wondering about how the "baby ballerina's" (Dick Button's phrase) are doing overall. Naomi Nari Nam and Deanna Stellato are apparently out of the picture because of injuries, although Naomi keeps hoping to make a comeback. I don't think that Sarah Hughes was really included in this group, because she was already a senior skater at 14 or so.

So that leaves he triumvirate of Sasha, AP and Jenny. Sasha is on the brink of stardom and AP is knocking at the door. I think that this season will tell the story for AP (although, as we have learned, if it doesn't, "there's always next year!") I really like Jenny's skating, and I would like nothing better than for her to make the podium at Nationals.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
The baby ballerina remark was made during 2000 nats, and was made in reference to Sasha(15), Sarah(14), NNN(14) and Jenny(15). AP wasn't on the scene yet. At this point AP is both too old and too large to qualify :laugh: but I doubt that the comment had much science or thought behind it. It was just a sassy way of describing the petite, young, newly arrived competitors surrounding the 19 year old who was the favorite at her 8th nats.

gezando

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Hah! I know you are talking about me and Michelle. Everybody knows that I am Michelle's fairy godmother. Here is a picture of Michelle at 12:01 AM.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/images/pumpkin.jpg
If you say so, Gezando.

Mathman
I think Sasha's overall basic skating skills is slightly better than Kirk e.g. speed, her edges are a hair better than Jenn.

I am not talking about you specificaly, but if anyone think that the gloves fit them personally, wear it.

PS I forgot to mention that Sarah's edges are better than Sasha's.

lavender

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
The baby ballerina remark was made during 2000 nats, and was made in reference to Sasha(15), Sarah(14), NNN(14) and Jenny(15). AP wasn't on the scene yet. At this point AP is both too old and too large to qualify :laugh: but I doubt that the comment had much science or thought behind it. It was just a sassy way of describing the petite, young, newly arrived competitors surrounding the 19 year old who was the favorite at her 8th nats.

For some reason I don't think Sarah was ever referred to as a baby ballerina for obvious reasons. I agree, I don't think AP was around. It was more in reference to NNN and Sasha.

mzheng

Record Breaker
lavender said:
For some reason I don't think Sarah was ever referred to as a baby ballerina for obvious reasons. I agree, I don't think AP was around. It was more in reference to NNN and Sasha.

I think also Jenny Kirk. It was she or someone else, Peggy commented 'terrible high kick leg when she pick for jump' ?

Is this wonderful, now that we have a thread about Sasha running 19 pages long. It used to a previlege for Michelle's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mathman
3. There really is some fault to find with her basic skating technique. Or, as Rgirl suggests, with her training methods. No matter how pretty your spiral looks you still have to keep your skates under you.
Mathman,
Just so things are clear, I do find fault with many of Sasha's basic skating techniques. What I said in my post to Mzheng was that I thought there were several reasons for her insecure and/or inconsistent edges, ie, her relatively late start (age 9) in skating; the lack of emphasis on deep edging from coaches; and ineffective training. I didn't see it as an "either/or" situation but rather as one of several "cause and effect" situations.
Rgirl

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Mathman,
Just so things are clear, I do find fault with many of Sasha's basic skating techniques. What I said in my post to Mzheng was that I thought there were several reasons for her insecure and/or inconsistent edges, ie, her relatively late start (age 9) in skating; the lack of emphasis on deep edging from coaches; and ineffective training. I didn't see it as an "either/or" situation but rather as one of several "cause and effect" situations.
Rgirl

I kind agree with Rgirl on starting age. Since edge quality is achieved by years and years time spend on ice. If you have to compare Sasha's edge with Michelle's at the same age, then since Sasha started at age of 9, Michelle started at age of 7?, then compare Sasha's edge skill now -- she was 19 -- with Michelle's 1997 seems more propriate. I watched Michelle's tape from 1997, her edge was not as deep and fluid as it now. However Michelle had always been able to control her edge even before that. The prove is by 1997 she had delivered quite a few clean 5-7 triples LPs, and some of them were choreographed more difficult than Sasha's, and we never saw her falled on spin, footwork, etc. Actually we rearly saw any elite lady fall on these elements.

rtureck

Final Flight
mzheng said:
I think also Jenny Kirk. It was she or someone else, Peggy commented 'terrible high kick leg when she pick for jump' ?

Is this wonderful, now that we have a thread about Sasha running 19 pages long. It used to a previlege for Michelle's thread.

#275 marching onto 300

Jenny has to correct her jump and basic skating technique, hopefully Richard Callaghan will help. She is too good a skater to be held back by these elements. She has mental toughness, and a balletic grace. Nothing about her skating is forced, and in that sense I find her very artistic. I think she is more artistic than most of the skaters her age. A skater like AP is more of a technician. She is the best spinner or one of the best among USA ladies IMO second only to NNN . Roundboy Pete , no offense to AP, we know you can't take your eyes off AP. BTW I love her skating too.

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"For some reason I don't think Sarah was ever referred to as a baby ballerina for obvious reasons. I agree, I don't think AP was around. It was more in reference to NNN and Sasha."

Well, let's not project. Just because Sarah is described as "gawky" all over the web doesn't mean that Dick feels the same. He's never really said anything bad about her.

Anyway, I decided to go straight to the source, and dug out my 2000 nats tape. He clearly identifies Sasha, Sarah and NNN as 'the Baby Ballerinas'.

I hope you all know where the term, "Baby Ballerinas" come from. It goes way back to the Ballet Russe defecting from the newly formed Soviet Union. The company had been out of Russia during the revolution of 1917 and decided not to go back. The Company was then renamed Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo. Its young dancers Toumanova, Baronova and Riabouchinska were called "The Baby Ballerina". Of course, they were the toast of Paree.

I strongly suspect Dick is also an afectionado the ballet. I think nowadays, the ladies in the USA stable would be the AP, Bebe, and Yebin.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"I strongly suspect Dick is also an afectionado the ballet.'

Yes, he explained during the broadcast that he named them after the Russian dancers.

lavender

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
"For some reason I don't think Sarah was ever referred to as a baby ballerina for obvious reasons. I agree, I don't think AP was around. It was more in reference to NNN and Sasha."

Well, let's not project. Just because Sarah is described as "gawky" all over the web doesn't mean that Dick feels the same. He's never really said anything bad about her.

Anyway, I decided to go straight to the source, and dug out my 2000 nats tape. He clearly identifies Sasha, Sarah and NNN as 'the Baby Ballerinas'.

I wasn't referring to her gawkiness. I was referring to her size.