Plushenko's Return | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Return

seniorita

Record Breaker
I doubt labiel could do his jumps like plush did since he was 17 years old, but we love them both, unique on their style and talent.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
And I dislike both of them equally.
But I do agree about their not being able to skate each other's routines.

Mafke

Medalist
And I dislike both of them equally.
But I do agree about their not being able to skate each other's routines.

Let's look at it this way, reduce quads to triples and 3axs to doubles. Could Lambiel do Plushenko's programs? Almost entirely (a 3-3-2 and faux-Biellmann might be hard). Could Plushenko do a Lambiel program? I really, really doubt it. He had the talent but too many years under the influence of Mishin (his motto: sacrifice everything to the jumps) and low-expectation choreography have taken their toll, he really can't do anything new or different anymore.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
dancingqueen said:
And I doubt Lambiel could skate to Evgeny’s routine as well.

They both have their own style. IMO.
I think we are fortunate in that most of the current/recent elite male skaters are very different in style and strengths. As fans and viewers, this is a wonderful thing and we obviously each have our own preferences. I feel right now there's not as much diversity in the ladies.

IMO, most of the top male skaters probably couldn't skate each other's programs. Could Johnny Weir skate a convincing Metallica LP? Or Brian Joubert - would he be able to pull off anything Stephane Lambiel has done? Could Evan Lysacek manage Dai's programs? Or going back a few years, does anyone believe Plushenko would have been able to skate Yagudin's Man in the Iron Mask program? Of course not - or at least not convincingly. These guys are smart enough to play to their strengths.

Note on flailing arms: hey, it can work if it makes sense in the context of the music and the program. Since it looks like the skater is swatting away bees, one option would be to use that bee music Alban Preaubert had a few years ago. Or other options with that theme, if those exist. :cool:

^^^

I can agree to that. Plush had the correct jump teacher but not the skate teacher.

It just seems to me that Plush jumps his way to the podium and not much else, while Lambiel covers the gambit of figure skating.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^

It just seems to me that Plush jumps his way to the podium and not much else, while Lambiel covers the gambit of figure skating.

I think you mean "gamut" there, Joe, but I certainly agree with your comment!

For me, Plush has great speed and a real projection that he is amazingly comfortable on the ice. I think the phrase often used is he has "command" of the ice. In person especially those things really make an impression -- at least they did on me when I saw him at DC worlds. But I don't like his choreo or his flailing arms or really much at all about the specifics of his technique.

I enjoy very much Lambiel's artistry but, as has been pointed out, he's always been pretty inconsistent, and the last few seasons he's struggled with injuries, lack of motivation at times (remember his comments about taking care of the Little Prince inside, or words to that effect), etc. I'd rather he retire from competition than have this on-again, off-again thing with competing. Two World championships, what's to regret? Save your body from further injury and go enjoy show skating, Stephane.

OTOH, if he's physically and motivationally fit, I'd like to see Lambiel skating in comps at the top of his game.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Could Lambiel do Plushenko's programs? Almost entirely (a 3-3-2 and faux-Biellmann might be hard). Could Plushenko do a Lambiel program? I really, really doubt it.
They are too different, in my eyes. They move in 2 different ways. No Biellmann for Stephane, but at the same time no speed, semi-controlled chaos and movement sharpness Zhenya is known for. He could skate to the same music, yes, but the program would look entirely different. Stephane does pull off Zhenya's infamous 'flailing arms' in his new tango though. JMHO.

Yikes - Gamut not gambit. Thanks rallycairn.

Hsuhs, No argument about the two different styles, but I feel Lambiel could parody (sp?) Plush easier than Plush could parody Stephane. Plush to me is so ingrained in the one style as he does jazz and looks the same as if he were doing Carmen. Stephane changes completely from Vivaldi to Flamenco.

Plush, of course, has the solid jumps and will win the competitions regardless. No problem.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw plush ,labiel and buttle in italy, labiel is a miracle. Artistically he is great, I cannot tell about his shape, but he fell down and that seemed to have influenced him in the program. In that way he seemed a bit like a newbie.
The impression I had from the three is that plushenko was the faster,too confident and could save a jumb just to avoid falling and retried it successfully just a few seconds later, he was happy skating his program and anyway my best picture for him was that when he skated he had full control of ice, he had maybe the greatest effect on the audience also, labiel was very expressive , i liked the way he uses his hands and head, but he seems afraid when jumping and it takes a lot of energy from him, and buttle was free from competition now and he skated with his heart. All three were great.
I also saw sasha cohen and after what i had listened here i was expecting the worse, she did well on the show and didnt fall.