Gala | Golden Skate

Gala

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! The men don't have much time at all to regroup before the gala. Crazy!

Axel Rose

On the Ice
They don't, do they? Some of them probably didn't even know they were skating in the gala until about 20 minutes ago....

I don't know if this is technically part of the gala or not, but I'm ROFL over the apparent current trend of using ABBA songs at skating awards ceremonies.

I also love Debbi Wilkes's understated pronouncements. "Do you know what Patrick's score was? Do you know how that compares to the world?" Silence. "It's good."

Medusa

Record Breaker
watching the award ceremonies....

Was Bryce Davison always this good-looking? Craig Buntin is very handsome anyway, but I never noticed it with Davison. All these pair skaters - the two Canadian guys, the two Russian guys, especially Smirnov of course - the two Chinese guys are good-looking too! They should totally make a calendar.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also love Debbi Wilkes's understated pronouncements. "Do you know what Patrick's score was? Do you know how that compares to the world?" Silence. "It's good."

:rofl: Please tell me she doesn't believe his score would have been that high scored by an international judging panel. There's no disputing Patrick's greatness, but every country's Nationals is known to have inflated scores.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
watching the award ceremonies....

Was Bryce Davison always this good-looking? Craig Buntin is very handsome anyway, but I never noticed it with Davison. All these pair skaters - the two Canadian guys, the two Russian guys, especially Smirnov of course - the two Chinese guys are good-looking too! They should totally make a calendar.

Yes, I'd buy that calendar, Medusa! :laugh::love:

Mine would be:
January - Stephane Lambiel
February - Fedor Andreev & Jeff Buttle
March - Maxim Trankov & Andrei Griazev
April - Jeremy Abbott
May - Charlie White & Scott Moir
June - Yannick Ponsero & Kristoffer Berntsson
July - Robin Szolkowy & Craig Buntin
August - Fabian Bourzat & Brian Joubert
September - Alexander Smirnov
October - Patrice Lauzon & Bryce Davison
November - John Zimmerman & Peter Tchernyshev
December - Alexei Yagudin

:love:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Let's ask them to do it! Could only be good for the sport of figure skating!

Lots of women in Europe only watch football because the guys are hot, perhaps those women should just be reminded of the fact that the guys in skating are very hot too.

Chipeur is a dwarf! He is way shorter than Chan. I always assumed: huge 3A = huge guy. Then again Yagudin was on the short side too.

----

I am so happy for Ten, he was so exuberant in the K&C after the marks were announced. Maybe this medal and the responsibility that comes with it is what Ten needs - I often had the feeling that he was just lacking confidence.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's ask them to do it! Could only be good for the sport of figure skating!

Lots of women in Europe only watch football because the guys are hot, perhaps those women should just be reminded of the fact that the guys in skating are very hot too.

:agree: I love the idea! :biggrin::rock:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Does anyone have any photo or video links for the gala and/or medal ceremonies, other than the youtube vid of virtue and moir? CBC, for some reason, is not working for me, even though i'm in Canada, fsvids seems to have put canadian nationals into the restricted area this year, which I don't have access to, and I can't find anything anywhere else.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Does anyone have any photo or video links for the gala and/or medal ceremonies, other than the youtube vid of virtue and moir? CBC, for some reason, is not working for me, even though i'm in Canada, fsvids seems to have put canadian nationals into the restricted area this year, which I don't have access to, and I can't find anything anywhere else.

t's on CBC on-demand site.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

Go to figure skating on the side menu then you will see the sub-menu expand. In the sub-menu, go to full event, click sort by "the latest" tab. Gala is second from the top.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
t's on CBC on-demand site.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/ondemand/

Go to figure skating on the side menu then you will see the sub-menu expand. In the sub-menu, go to full event, click sort by "the latest" tab. Gala is second from the top.

Thanks, fumie_fumie. Unfortunately, every link on that page plays, except for the Gala and the Sr. Men's FS, so I still can't watch it. Is anyone else having this problem??

skatingfan04

Final Flight
sorry to be a bother, but if anyone did watch the gala, I'd love to know what music Weaver/Poje and Routhier/Saucke-Lacelle (the jr. dance champs) skated to. Thanks!!

Kypma

Final Flight
sorry to be a bother, but if anyone did watch the gala, I'd love to know what music Weaver/Poje and Routhier/Saucke-Lacelle (the jr. dance champs) skated to. Thanks!!

If I recall correctly (and that's a pretty big if...), Weaver-Poje skated to The Prayer by Andrea Bocelli and Charlotte Church, while Routhier-Saucke-Lacelle skated their OD... I'm really not sure of the latter, though.

Hoep that helps a little,

-kypma

screech

Final Flight
Just a note: The Gala will air on CBC tomorrow (Sunday, January 25) from 12:00-14:00 ET.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Did anyone happen to catch the junior medal ceremonies? Who were the med al presentors? I was interested becuase of a comment Eric Saucke-Lacelle made during the gala. He made it seem like virtue/Moir presented the medals to him and his partner.