Any updates on Alissa? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any updates on Alissa?

R.D.

Record Breaker
...but having to worry about performing a 6 or 7 T program is that much more taxing than worrying about performing a 5-T program.

...but having to worry about performing a 6 or 7 T program is that much more taxing than worrying about performing a 5-T program.
True that. Neither Asada nor Kim has done a seven triple program yet this year, in 4 tries each. To do 7 triples you have to do a tripe-triple or a triple Axel.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Is it really that much more taxing? If you can bank on messing up 2 jumps per program then adding more jumps will hopefully mean more jumps landed because you're attempting more. I suppose conversely it means you could fall more, however, provided you rotate, COP will give you some points for the fall on a jump so overall it might squeeze out extra points.

Ant

Is it really that much more taxing? If you can bank on messing up 2 jumps per program then adding more jumps will hopefully mean more jumps landed because you're attempting more. I suppose conversely it means you could fall more, however, provided you rotate, COP will give you some points for the fall on a jump so overall it might squeeze out extra points.

She really can't add more jumps because she already is using all of her jumping pass. So the only thing she could do is something like

Change 3T+2T to 3T+3T (fall) -- loses 1.3 points, and

Change 2A to 3S (fall) -- loses 3 points.

Or she could change one if her her 2A's to 2A+3S<+SEQ (fall), or tack on a +2T+2T somewhere.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
She really can't add more jumps because she already is using all of her jumping pass. So the only thing she could do is something like

Change 3T+2T to 3T+3T (fall) -- loses 1.3 points, and

Change 2A to 3S (fall) -- loses 3 points.

Or she could change one if her her 2A's to 2A+3S<+SEQ (fall), or tack on a +2T+2T somewhere.

interesting analysis.

A little comforting, I guess, but in the first part, you're assuming she falls on the second jump, right? I'd assume she'd lose more if she fell on the first (a strong possibility with her).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To do 7 triples you have to do a tripe-triple or a triple Axel.

No, you don't. For example, Cynthia Phaneuf plans 7 triples in her LP.

She attempts:
3toe+2Axel+sequence
3Lutz
3loop
3flip
x3Salchow
x3Lutz+2toe
x3toe+2toe+2loop

Last edited:
3toe+2Axel+sequence

:rock: Where there's a will there's a way!

She really takes a a chance, though. If she misses on her first element, then she hasn't done an Axel and she loses her entire x3T+2T+2Lo, while if she takes too many steps between the 3T and the 2A, then she has one pass too many and still loses her last element altogether.

I think a 2A+3S near the end is safer.

^ I was thinking of Cynthia.

For Alissa, the only think I would change is -- possibly -- if she is really feeling her oats when the moment arrives -- go for a 3T+3T.

And also tack on a couple of doubles somewhere for a three-jump seqence.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She really takes a chance, though. If she misses on her first element, then she hasn't done an Axel and she loses her entire x3T+2T+2Lo, while if she takes too many steps between the 3T and the 2A, then she has one pass too many and still loses her last element altogether.

That sequence has been pretty solid for her. The flip and Lutz jumps are usually Phaneuf's bugaboo. Cynthia has only missed her jump sequence 1 time out of 4 competitions this season, which was the botched attempt at NHK Trophy. She received positive GOE of 0.80 on it at both Skate Canada and 4CC.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For Alissa, the only think I would change is -- possibly -- if she is really feeling her oats when the moment arrives -- go for a 3T+3T.

If she lands that- how many extra points will she get?

^ I was thinking of Cynthia.

Alissa is a lovely skater and her Skate Canada that year she was very special. She has the reputation that she underrotates some jumps, which doesn't bother me, but it gives the international Tech Panel something to do. We have to be concerned with them if she is skating with lots of grandeur. There are no extra points for clean programs, unfortunately.

If she lands that- how many extra points will she get?

If she lands a 3T+3T instead of 3T+2T, that's an extra 2.97 points, including second half bonus.

Pkus, she would get some extra PCS and GOE points just for doing a triple-triple.

In fact, I am pretty sure that this was team Alissa's plan all along, to let the 3T+2T serve as a place holder for an eventual 3T+3T. The reason I think so is that 3T+2T is a weak and stupid way to waste one of your three combos/sequences, plus Alissa repeats only one jump instead of the two that she is allowed --so a 3T+3T would be her other repeated jump.

Tacking a couple of double toes onto something for a three jump sequence would give her 2.86 extra points (in the second half).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I mean, if Alyssa is trying to conquer her nerves, I PERSONALLY don't think it does her any favors to go for a 3-3 (has she ever done one in competition?)

(has she ever done one in competition?)

I don't think so. In 2005, when she won the free skate at both Skate America and Skate Canada, her three combos were 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T and 2A+2T.

At 2007 U.S. Nationals, where she won the free skate, she did 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T and 3T+2T.

At the 2008 U.S. Collegiate Championships she tried a 3T+3T, but the second jump was <.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In fact, I am pretty sure that this was team Alissa's plan all along, to let the 3T+2T serve as a place holder for an eventual 3T+3T. The reason I think so is that 3T+2T is a weak and stupid way to waste one of your three combos/sequences, plus Alissa repeats only one jump instead of the two that she is allowed --so a 3T+3T would be her other repeated jump.

I don't know why it's stupid, where else would she put it? It's actually the ideal place for the combo because it's in the second half of the program and also one of the jumps that she is least likely to mess up on.

She attempted on at SA in 2005, but it wasn't ratified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4Fm1uy5hI

:clap: :clap: :clap: She sure was skinny back then! :laugh:

I don't know why it's stupid, where else would she put it? It's actually the ideal place for the combo because it's in the second half of the program and also one of the jumps that she is least likely to mess up on.

The reason that I though it was stupid was that it does not gain any extra points besides just the 1.3 plus10% for the double toe itself. If you left it off and just did a solo 3T, it would hardly matter.

The reason for doing a combo is so you can double up on your highest scoring jumps. In previous years Alissa did 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz and 3F -- using the +2T to allow her to do two Lutzes and two flips.

Her 3T+2T this year does not gain her any such advantage because the only jump she repeats is the Lutz.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Yes, the T.toe - D.toe was a place holder for the T.Toe-T.Toe.

She attempted twice in the late summer US competitions, one was downgraded, one was 2ft. and possibly downgraded as I recall.

Personally, given Czisny fragile jumping consistency, I rather see her do a D.axle - step - T.Toe sequence. Then a T.Toe - d.toe- d.toe combo. Then end with her second D.axle. Safer, adds some points, and more doable.

Also, anyone notice that her T.Loop has been her best jump this season? Something to consider....

Personally, given Czisny fragile jumping consistency, I rather see her do a D.axle - step - T.Toe sequence....

What kind of a step would go in between? She is already on the back outside edge of her landing foot, so I am not sure how that sequence would go?