USA Today-Now a coach, Brian Orser still chases Olympic figure skating gold | Golden Skate

USA Today-Now a coach, Brian Orser still chases Olympic figure skating gold

cosmos

On the Ice
USA Today-Now a coach, Brian Orser still chases Olympic figure skating gold

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2009-03-25-orser-coach_N.htm

One might think Orser would not dare to dream about winning the gold medal with Kim, but that's not the case. "It would be incredible," he says. "I feel very confident I can actually produce an Olympic champion. I can go into the season with confidence to follow the steps that I believe will make her Olympic champion. But that will be her moment."

Hers, yes, but also his? "Trust me, backstage, there will be a huge tear."

And would it make up at all for …

"Yes, it would," he interrupts. "Make up for Calgary? Yes, it would. Sure. I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't."

Hers. And his.

:clap: :clap: :lap:

Thanks for the post. That would be a great feel-good story.

When you become a teacher, there comes that moment when you are prouder of your student's achievement than of your own accomplishments.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful article. I've always had such respect for Brian O, my all time favorite Canadian men's skater. :love: How wonderful that he is working with Yu Na Kim (and Adam Rippon) now.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
If I were an elite skater, I'd love to be coached by Brian! He talks a lot about motivating his skaters, but I'd bet his tech advice is d@mn good, too.

An inspirational guy. And isn't it great that we can all now love BOTH Brians? :biggrin:
[Just kidding, I know the Battle of the Brians was largely a media invention.]

Fae

Rinkside
Yuna and Orser have like the *cutest* coach/student relationship ever.

All of Yuna's replays should have a split screen so we can see him doing his hillarious off-ice verison. XD

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Both Kurt and Tracy said during their commentary that Brian "skates" the program at rinkside with Yuna - so in spirit he is out there on the ice with her. Of course, I am pulling for Joannie for the Olympics, but I am proud of Brian for the great job he is doing as a coach. I hope Brian's next skating star is Canadian.

:bow:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Another related article: 'Brian-Brian' rivalry gives South Korean skater some competitive insight

"He was a very great skater many years ago. He really helps me to focus on my own programs," Kim said Friday.

"He really knows what I feel in the competitions because of Brian-Brian, and I'm doing that now. So I think he's a very good coach for me."

Orser laughed at her name for that long-ago rivalry and chuckled again when told she had praised his coaching skills.

"Oh, good," he said, smiling. "I still have a job."
:laugh: at Brian's comment and Yu-Na calling it Brian-Brian!

More than helping her with jumps or spins, he has taught her not to fear competition. Being pushed can topple you or make you stronger, and Kim doesn't seem the toppling sort as long as Orser is there to guide her and make her feel calm in the most nerve-racking of situations.

"It's just because knowing what I know as far as being through it," he said. "Just how I went through it at that level and the Olympics and the rivalry and the job you need to do.

"When there's somebody else in the rink that knows what you feel, who you can actually go, 'OK, he knows what I feel,' I think it's comforting."
I think this is probably the biggest reason why Brian and Yu-Na work so well together. He just understands her and what she's feeling.