Figure skating and Artistic roller skating cross paths | Golden Skate

Figure skating and Artistic roller skating cross paths

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I've been posting here and there on this forum about artistic roller skating and its connection with figure skating and I decided to start a new topic to share some thoughts about how the two disciplines, although different, have somehow crossed their path.
I have been a roller skater myself and followed both sports for quite a while now.
I was always interested in pairs and never understood while Italy, who has a huge tradition in pair roller skating, never managed to produce decent ice skating pairs until after 2006 and even later than that.
I've always thought ice skating would benefit from the help of highly experienced roller skating coaches. In the end, luckily, that happened: we had great roller skating champions (first Zanforlin & Degli Esposti, then Guarise) switching to figure skating and they brought their coaches along. Those coaches started to work also with other pairs, teaching them how to perform pair elements and difficult lifts with change of positions. For instance Matteo’s roller skating coach (multi- world champion Patrick Venerucci) worked with Marchei & Hotarek as well. So ice skating coaches learned from them and that’s how we’ve managed to build many competitive pair teams in recent years and also have foreign pairs coming to train in Italy.
There is still a substantial difference between ice pairs and roller pairs though.
In roller skating kids start doing pairs since a very young age, competing in both pairs and singles, sometimes even their whole career. Matteo Guarise himself started skating pairs at age 5. In roller skating there is a progressive safe way to perform lifts which are done not higher than shoulder level, up to the youth categories. You can see an example here.
https://youtu.be/joy0jxhyo-A The guy in this pair was 14 years old. [OT: I just loooved this pair, so talented and promising… unfortunately he quitted and now is a very successful professional dancer].
This way the male partner progressively learn how to deal with a lifted weight, without risking injuries. The same doesn’t happen in ice skating and this drastically increases the risks of injuries. Lucrezia Beccari herself, when she was young, risked a career ending injury in a lift while trying out with a not experienced partner.
Speaking about lifts, the reverse lift has been compulsory for ages in roller skating, while only in recent years many pairs are performing it on the ice. IIRC it was not to be seen until Zanforlin & Degli Esposti brought it to the ice in 2008… not sure if that’s a coincidence or not! I loved that lift performed by Guarise and his partner Sara Venerucci as she achieved almost a split position. Watch it here: Venerucci & Guarise - 2008 Italian Nationals SP .
As of today there is a substantial difference between lifts performed on the ice and on the floor because in roller skating the male is allowed to do many more revolutions which leads to many difficult changes of positions from the lady.
See Matteo and his partner's first lift in their 2006 Junior World Championships at the beginning of their program… it lasted half a minute and covered almost a full rink! Venerucci & Guarise - 2006 Junior Worlds LP
One thing I’d love to see somehow transferred to the ice is the pair spin you see performed by the top roller teams with the lady being lifted by the man. I see this season figure skating rules changed and some of the pairs are already doing these tiny lifts while spinning… who knows if this leads to what I’ve been hoping for…
I’m speaking about the spin you can see in this program at min. 2: 2016 Worlds Tarlazzi & Lucaroni SP & LP
If you like pair skating I suggest to watch this team… This is probably the best pair team roller skating ever had in history.
And here the cross path between the two disciplines comes out so distinctively.
First their coach has always been interested in figure skating and travelled to watch fs competition live.
He built this pair and their programs just as if they were ice skaters with the goal to have them switch to figure skating and compete in the Olympics. And they would have definitely done wonders on the ice too with lighter skates on their feets. Both of them could jump all triples on rollers and were not only multi world pair champions but also world champions in men and women singles respectively.
Their coach had some of their programs choreographed with the help of ice dancers. Unfortunately the coach passed away in a tragic accident and all the plans for the team to switch to ice figure skating faded.
They went on to compete again despite the loss, coming up with what for me is one of the most impressive pair program I’ve ever seen. It's inspired to Michelangelo’s work art and earned 10s from all judges for artistic impression at 2018 Worlds. You can watch it here from min. 44 World Skate - Video Day 11 - Senior Pairs Long Program .
They always had very interest and unusual music choices and extremely high difficult technical content.
This pair retired last year leaving a huge gap in roller skating which I dunno if it will ever be filled. With no Olympic perspective there is basically only Italy producing good level pair teams nowadays.
Okay, this is a long post... maybe I'll share more about other disciplines later :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Btw, what has always impressed me about this long program (starting at min 4:40) is that they jump PERFECT side by side 3 salchows at min 3(!) into their program :jaw:

sarahanne

Spectator
Yay! I was a roller figure skater in the 80's in the US, and have followed ice skating mainly because of the similarities and lack of coverage in rollerskating. Not to mention a huge decline in numbers since the 90's. Partially due to the exclusion of the sport in Olympics (many skaters in the 80's at the senior (world class) level were promoting heavily, but olympic inclusion never came to fruition), and the vanishing of roller rinks, so generating local interest in the sport has disappeared. When I started in the sport, there were several rinks/clubs in my local area, which is key to growth and exposure. Even at the sports height, people still didn't know it existed outside of roller derby. Many roller skaters either switched over to ice or at least contemplated it because they wanted to go to the olympics someday, but ice is/was considerably more expensive. Currently skaters do not have financial support by their federations and have to foot all bills for competition (and this is for the skaters competing on the world level).

Rollerskating actually now seems to have taken on more similarities to ice skating in recent years. In the singles events, we are seeing lots of catch foot, beillman, and Y spins that were very rare in the sport. And a very similar scoring system to IJS is now in place.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Rollerskating actually now seems to have taken on more similarities to ice skating in recent years. In the singles events, we are seeing lots of catch foot, beillman, and Y spins that were very rare in the sport. And a very similar scoring system to IJS is now in place.
I was watching the world championships pairs video posted earlier and noticed the number of catch-foot positions in spins and in lifts by the lady. I thought I'd be quite willing to try that since they grab the toe stop of their boot -- no danger of slicing their hand on a blade!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I've been posting here and there on this forum about artistic roller skating and its connection with figure skating and I decided to start a new topic to share some thoughts about how the two disciplines, although different, have somehow crossed their path.
Thanks for sharing!

In roller skating kids start doing pairs since a very young age, competing in both pairs and singles, sometimes even their whole career. Matteo Guarise himself started skating pairs at age 5. In roller skating there is a progressive safe way to perform lifts which are done not higher than shoulder level, up to the youth categories.
It is more common for ice skaters to take up pairs at higher skill levels, mainly because there are so few boys available compared to the number of girls, and skaters may start skating at any rink but pairs can really only be learned at rinks where there are experienced pairs coaches.

But there are younger pairs at lower levels, especially those who start out at/near a pairs training center, and/or siblings with an appropriate age/size difference.

I can't speak to the history of developmental pairs training on ice.
Here are current ISU guidelines for Basic Novice and Advanced Novice pairs, starting on p. 6

For Basic Novice: Two lifts, one from Group 1 and one from Group 2, one arm holds not allowed (full extension of the lifting arm of the partner is not required); One twist lift (single)...

For Advanced Novice: Two different lifts of Groups 1 to 4, one arm holds not allowed, (in group 1 and 2 full extension of the lifting arm of the partner is not required); One twist lift (single or double)...

Pair Lifts Group One - Lift where Girl’s head remains up and she does not pass the Man’s shoulder - possible grips to allow more variety, Hand to Armpit, Hand to Arm, Hand to Waist or Hand to Hand.

However, ice has never permitted pair lifts in which the girl's weight is supported on the man's head, shoulders, or back and not just by his hands. Which isn't to say it never happens, but it's not a legal lift if it does.

You can search youtube for "Basic Novice Pairs" or "Advanced Novice Pairs" or "Juvenile Pairs" (US and Canada) or "Intermediate Pairs" (US) or "Pre Novice pairs" (Canada) to see what young ice teams are doing at those levels.

Speaking about lifts, the reverse lift has been compulsory for ages in roller skating, while only in recent years many pairs are performing it on the ice. IIRC it was not to be seen until Zanforlin & Degli Esposti brought it to the ice in 2008…
It did exist before that but was not common and may have been imported from roller at some point:

As of today there is a substantial difference between lifts performed on the ice and on the floor because in roller skating the male is allowed to do many more revolutions which leads to many difficult changes of positions from the lady.
That is definitely a difference between the sports.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I can't speak to the history of developmental pairs training on ice.
Here are current ISU guidelines for Basic Novice and Advanced Novice pairs, starting on p. 6

For Basic Novice: Two lifts, one from Group 1 and one from Group 2, one arm holds not allowed (full extension of the lifting arm of the partner is not required); One twist lift (single)...

For Advanced Novice: Two different lifts of Groups 1 to 4, one arm holds not allowed, (in group 1 and 2 full extension of the lifting arm of the partner is not required); One twist lift (single or double)...

Pair Lifts Group One - Lift where Girl’s head remains up and she does not pass the Man’s shoulder - possible grips to allow more variety, Hand to Armpit, Hand to Arm, Hand to Waist or Hand to Hand.

However, ice has never permitted pair lifts in which the girl's weight is supported on the man's head, shoulders, or back and not just by his hands. Which isn't to say it never happens, but it's not a legal lift if it does.

You can search youtube for "Basic Novice Pairs" or "Advanced Novice Pairs" or "Juvenile Pairs" (US and Canada) or "Intermediate Pairs" (US) or "Pre Novice pairs" (Canada) to see what young ice teams are doing at those levels.
Thanks for these information! I looked up and yes now I see some similarities between the 2 discipline.
I looked at some basic novice pair and they perform lifts where the girls hips are not higher than they boy's shoulder. What is interesting is that the age range for the boys is much wider than in roller skating: I see a pair boy can compete in advanced novice up till 17 yrs old.

It did exist before that but was not common and may have been imported from roller at some point:
Oh that's interesting I missed that one! I wonder if this pair had some kind of roller inheritance 😉.

Aaron Parchem has had a long and successful career in the Detroit area as a securities analyst and financial advisor. His office used to be right down the street from me. :)

As for roller skating, the only figure skater that comes to mind as a champion in both sports is Tara Lipinski. She was a U.S. national roller skating champion in her age group before she switched to figure skating. Anyone else?

Edit: I just Googled my own question and learned that Scott Hamilton won the U.S. junior championship in roller sking in1976. Oksana Baiul also roller skated and Tonya Harding took up the sport, winning several competitions, after being banned from figure skating.

Last edited:

Sk8swan

On the Ice
As for winning at high level in both sports I thought Matteo was the most successful one now with a roller skating World title and fs Euro title. But I was told in the 50s there was a German pair who managed to win Worlds in both disciplines! Ria Baran & Paul Falk - Roller World Champs in 1951 and FS World pair Champs in 1952!
Another skater who won medals in both sports is Marina Kielmann: she was 4-time European medallist and won 3 medals at Roller Worlds, never gold though.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Seeing this thread made me curious, so I will ask a question which is perhaps very stupid.
Is artistic roller skating what they call here in Japan "inline skate"? Where the skate has 4 wheels one behind the other which resembles a figure skating blade, but it's not a blade but 4 wheels?
There are 3 people. in my rink who also practice inline skate and I've always been intrigued. I'd go where they go however it's quite far away. I'd love to get me a pair of inline skates as one more off ice practice but it's illegal to skate with them everywhere outdoors here (same as skateboards) unless it's an indoor rink or one of the rare parks that allow inline skates and skateboards.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Seeing this thread made me curious, so I will ask a question which is perhaps very stupid.
Is artistic roller skating what they call here in Japan "inline skate"? Where the skate has 4 wheels one behind the other which resembles a figure skating blade, but it's not a blade but 4 wheels?
There are 3 people. in my rink who also practice inline skate and I've always been intrigued. I'd go where they go however it's quite far away. I'd love to get me a pair of inline skates as one more off ice practice but it's illegal to skate with them everywhere outdoors here (same as skateboards) unless it's an indoor rink or one of the rare parks that allow inline skates and skateboards.
In my first post I meant 4-wheels artistic roller skating. Just check any of the videos I shared in my first post and you'll see them. Of course there is also inline artistic roller skating but that has not reached such a level to be compared to figure skating.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I've been Googling roller skate boots for several days since my pairs partner and I have got all enthusiastic about trying artistic roller dance off the ice. It seems that inline "blades" (the wheels set all in a single row) and "quads" (not quad jumps but meaning a frame with the 4 wheels set in a square configuration) can each do some things more easily than the others. Quad skates are supposed to feel more stable, so that's what we're planning to buy, only our usual skate shop has been closed for several days because of heavy snow highly unusual for Vancouver. We're going to buy our usual make of boot and have a quad frame of wheels mounted on them.

My partner's wife goes off and does something else at our club while we skate, and last week she was playing bridge with a couple who were new members. She was telling the others at the table about this new enthusiasm of her husband and his skating partner, and the new couple said they had done roller dance in their last diplomatic posting in Spain and would love to continue here. So we asked around and the club is willing to let us all use a small gymnasium where they hold "wheelercise" classes -- exercise using sport wheelchairs -- which has suitable flooring and a sound system for music. The new couple offered to teach us the basics and the steps of the beginner-level dances. If we can get more members skating with us, the club may be able to hire a part-time coach.

Since there's been no one to answer the phone at my skate shop, I haven't been able to ask about the stiffness level of Risport Royal Pro boots. On one website it says they are 55 and on another it says 65. On ice I'm wearing Risport RF1 boots which have a stiffness of 90. That's overbooting for my skill level these days, not doing triples anymore at my age, but I have one weaker ankle from an old injury and need support there and besides, that's the stiffness I'm used to so it feels comfortable to me. I'm told that I need less stiffness for roller dance, that the wheel frame provides stability for my ankle and I need a bit more flexibility in the boot to compensate for not having the edges of a blade to use. I think, though, that if the Royal Pro is only 55 that would be too big a difference in stiffness. The 65 would be better. I'll find out whenever I can get to the skate shop again, or at least find someone at work there to answer the phone. Probably next week, since snow doesn't last long here and the shop is on a main road which will get ploughed.

If you Google "artistic roller skating group dance competition videos" you can see older couples competing in pattern dances similar to the figure skating pattern dances and looking pretty good! The faces may be older, but the bodies and their skating are youthful and the women's dresses are just as sparkly :love:. You're younger than my daughter, so you'd be able to do more of the free skating moves. I understand the wheels are heavier than blades so while I still do double jumps on ice, I'd be doing well to get up to single jumps on wheels, which is why I'm going to aim for roller dance instead and leave the jumps for the ice.

Getting all eager just writing about it! :jump:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been Googling roller skate boots for several days since my pairs partner and I have got all enthusiastic about trying artistic roller dance off the ice. It seems that inline "blades" (the wheels set all in a single row) and "quads" (not quad jumps but meaning a frame with the 4 wheels set in a square configuration) can each do some things more easily than the others. Quad skates are supposed to feel more stable, so that's what we're planning to buy, only our usual skate shop has been closed for several days because of heavy snow highly unusual for Vancouver. We're going to buy our usual make of boot and have a quad frame of wheels mounted on them.

My partner's wife goes off and does something else at our club while we skate, and last week she was playing bridge with a couple who were new members. She was telling the others at the table about this new enthusiasm of her husband and his skating partner, and the new couple said they had done roller dance in their last diplomatic posting in Spain and would love to continue here. So we asked around and the club is willing to let us all use a small gymnasium where they hold "wheelercise" classes -- exercise using sport wheelchairs -- which has suitable flooring and a sound system for music. The new couple offered to teach us the basics and the steps of the beginner-level dances. If we can get more members skating with us, the club may be able to hire a part-time coach.

Since there's been no one to answer the phone at my skate shop, I haven't been able to ask about the stiffness level of Risport Royal Pro boots. On one website it says they are 55 and on another it says 65. On ice I'm wearing Risport RF1 boots which have a stiffness of 90. That's overbooting for my skill level these days, not doing triples anymore at my age, but I have one weaker ankle from an old injury and need support there and besides, that's the stiffness I'm used to so it feels comfortable to me. I'm told that I need less stiffness for roller dance, that the wheel frame provides stability for my ankle and I need a bit more flexibility in the boot to compensate for not having the edges of a blade to use. I think, though, that if the Royal Pro is only 55 that would be too big a difference in stiffness. The 65 would be better. I'll find out whenever I can get to the skate shop again, or at least find someone at work there to answer the phone. Probably next week, since snow doesn't last long here and the shop is on a main road which will get ploughed.

If you Google "artistic roller skating group dance competition videos" you can see older couples competing in pattern dances similar to the figure skating pattern dances and looking pretty good! The faces may be older, but the bodies and their skating are youthful and the women's dresses are just as sparkly :love:. You're younger than my daughter, so you'd be able to do more of the free skating moves. I understand the wheels are heavier than blades so while I still do double jumps on ice, I'd be doing well to get up to single jumps on wheels, which is why I'm going to aim for roller dance instead and leave the jumps for the ice.

Getting all eager just writing about it! :jump:
Risport Royal Pro are 65 stiffness.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Risport Royal Pro are 65 stiffness.
:thank:I was beginning to wonder if the shop sites that said 55 were a typo, since the company then didn't seem to have anything between 55 and 90 in stiffness! I'll try them, and possibly the Risport dance boot, also a 65, for comparison. My partner wears Jackson custom boots with an 85 rating and is reluctant to reduce the stiffness, but his wife and I both told him to forget the macho attitude :rolleye:.

sarahanne

Spectator
It is done on quad skates for the most part, but they did introduce singles inline skating which still exists, but never became super popular over quads. They do the same jumps/spins as those that are on quads.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Brandon Frazier & Haven Denney started competing in pairs roller skating.

Later Brandon won the 2022 World Figure Skating Championship with Alexa Knierim.

Haven's parents were competitive roller skaters.

Interesting. Do you know when he started pair roller skating and at what age he switched to figure skating?
It looks like most of the U.S. skaters who started off with roller skating switched to figure skating at a much early age than Matteo Guarise who switched at age 21 without ever being on ice skates before.