A letter from Yu-Na to her fans. | Golden Skate

A letter from Yu-Na to her fans.

atatime

Rinkside

Thanks to Abyss at Feverskating.com (Korean figure skating fan forum), here's the translation of the entire letter from Yuna to her fans.

[DongAh Daily Paper]

"Connecting with the audience is first, the color of the medal is next"

In two days I will be going back to Toronto to prepare for the next season. I feel a bit sorry that my vacation has come to an end so quickly; the memory of winning at the Worlds is still so vivid inside my mind. I was satisfied with everything last season, I was free from injury and I won the World Championships. The ice show, which was a means to give back to the fans, was a success.

While I was in Korea, a lot of people asked me about the Olympics. The Olympic gold is every athlete's dream. I get excited and at the same time nervous just thinking about it. The Vancouver Olympics will be the first time I compete at the Olympic Games as I was too young to participate at the 2006 Torino Winter Olympics. I was born 2 months late to participate. People sometimes joke "You should have asked your mother to have given birth 2 months earlier".

Vancouver is familiar to me as I won the 4CCs held in February, which was in a way a pre-Olympic competition. Nonetheless even if Vancouver is familiar to me, I believe that it will be my physical condition and my performance which will matter. Time to time I receive questions about how sure I am of winning the Olympic gold during interviews. People offer words of encouragement, “You will win the gold medal at the Olympics next year.”

However whenever I hear those words, I think back to why I started figure skating in the first place. It was not to win an Olympic gold medal, but it was because skating was so much fun and because I thought Michelle Kwan was so beautiful and I wanted to be like her. There are times when I forget this, like when I am drained after training or when I feel pressure about the results of a competition. My coach, Brian Orser is usually a man of few words but he always tells me before a competition, “Nobody can win you if you skate with joy and happiness.”

The figure skating I know is not a battle between nations or skaters. It is not a lone battle that I fight alone, either. Of course I know I am still in the process of learning of what figure skating is. But to me, the most important aspect in figure skating is connecting with the audience. So I hope that it will be my music and my performance that give you joy and happiness in February next year, not the color of the medal.

I will leave for Toronto on the 10th. As always I will prepare music and choreography for a new program. It is impossible not to think about the Olympics but I will focus on presenting a good program for you around the end of October when the new season starts. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I prepare myself to start another new journey. I will do my best to show you an even better performances and programs. Thank you

http://www.donga.com/fbin/output?n=200905080120

very nice comments.. she is really thoughtful. :clap:

Last edited:
:agree: :rock: :love:

Thank you for the post. Yu-na shows a lot of maturity. And the translation by Abyss is outstanding!

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I don't know if it's just the translation, but Yu'Na's writing is nearly as beautiful as her skating.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Agreed. She always seems very well-spoken. One thing I noticed is that she seems much less focused on short-term goals now that she finally had an injury-free year. I've been pulling for her to win everything in sight because I've always thought she wouldn't last too long. Orser seems to have found a perfect training regime for her, and I have a feeling she might compete until Sochi.

She writes like a fairy tale queen nobly addressing her adoring subjects. And she sounds worthy of the crown. :bow:

gocaroline

On the Ice
Thanks for the translation! Yuna sounds very mature now and I am glad to know that she is focusing on presenting a good program and connecting with the audience. To consistantly thinking about Olympic Gold could be very stressful. Instead, focusing on doing a good program is the best approach IMO. Good luck!

christinaskater

Medalist
Yu-Na is so mature and realistic

She loves and really idolizes Michelle dearly, and i love that she's an MK Stan!

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I love Yu-Na's view on skating - it's not just about results, it's firstly about the performance. That's what made great skaters. I admire Yu-Na for trying as much as she can (and achieveing ) to do amazing performances, despite it not being important as far as the judging system is concerned.

John King

Final Flight
How old is she? She blows my mind! Top-notch skater, talented singer, and now writer!

jenny

Rinkside
More like how true.
this letter can be read by not only crazed uber-fan but general fans.
If don't want to read this letter, i suggest you ignore and skip.
you don't have to leave this sarcastic remark.

Last edited:
I think people are misunderstanding Evangeline's post.

Evangeline is saying that Yu-Na's letter is so modest, thoughtful and and down-to-earth, it would be nice if all the fans who support her would follow her example.

jenny

Rinkside
I think people are misunderstanding Evangeline's post.

Evangeline is saying that Yu-Na's letter is so modest, thoughtful and and down-to-earth, it would be nice if all the fans who support her would follow her example.

is it misunderstanding ?
When did Evangeline speak so? That´s so funny.
Evangeline just make sarcastic remark Yuna's fan who read this letter.

Last edited: