Thinking of switching to Edea from Riedell | Golden Skate

Thinking of switching to Edea from Riedell

Selinial

Spectator
Hello all, I am an adult figure skater that has been on the ice since I learned to walk. I trained and competed up until the age of about 15 where I was forced to quit due to a fractured heel. I never fully quit as my trusty old Riedell Bronzes & Coronation Ace blades have been with me all over the country. I've consistently sought out ice time while I was actively serving in the Army as well as over the years where I hopped around the country after leaving military service. I am in my early 30s and recently decided to go back to trying to get a coach and compete.
As I stated before, I am currently using my Riedell Bronzes & Coronation Ace blades but have noticed since I started practicing harder that they're pretty broke down. The blade rockers are in poor condition, causing both spins/MITF to be more challenging. I no longer trust my boots to land anything more advanced than my singles - and even then sometimes they're unstable and spook me when my ankles don't have the support they should. It's gotten to the point that I have deemed my current skates unsafe to do more than MITF and some spins.

I have done my research and have decided that I'd like to move to Edea Pianos or Ice Fly's with Gold Seal or Pattern 99 Blades, and would like some opinions towards this move from those that have used these model of boots/blade. I am mostly interested in the stiffness of the boot and the shock absorption built in for Pianos.
Here are some things to keep in mind:

-I am 32 years old, 5'10", and weigh about 160lbs.
-I have been landing all of my singles for over 20 years now. Doubles are shaky due to the current state of my skates.
-I am a very fast and strong skater.
-I am used to an aggressive rocker from my inline blades.
-I currently own a newer pair of Riedell boots and completely hate them.
-My skill level is consistent with Adult Silver freestyle
-I will be going to a skate technician for fitting towards the end of January/Mid February

Elija

On the Ice
Not entirely sure what to tell you as everyone’s experience and preferences are so different. I wear piano with gold seals at the moment. Have worn ice flys a couple of times and pianos in the past as well. I find pianos fit my feet better, the last pair of ice flys gave me a lot of pain for reasons I could never figure out given they were the exact same size as my pianos. I really like the combo of piano and gold seal, but again, it’s such a personal preference and experience I’m sure how this would be of any help to you or what specific information you’re seeking - if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I have worn various combinations of ice flys and pianos with coronation ace, gold seal and phantom blades. To me there is very little difference in stiffness between the two boots, but they do fit a bit differently so it’s more about finding which one works for you.

Have you tried on edeas yet? You may hate them. They are a very different fit to most other skates and seem to be a love or hate thing, and simply do not work for some foot shapes (as with any brand), or people just hate the loose ankle.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Coach Aimee switched from Riedell to Edea many years ago, I believe (by watching her youtube videos), maybe she can reply with more useful information (she owns Ice Flys and Pianos)
I've never skated in Riedells myself, but I absolutely love my Edea Ice Flys (I'm 37, 163 cm height - 50kg weight, Greek foot, very narrow).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello all, I am an adult figure skater that has been on the ice since I learned to walk. I trained and competed up until the age of about 15 where I was forced to quit due to a fractured heel. I never fully quit as my trusty old Riedell Bronzes & Coronation Ace blades have been with me all over the country. I've consistently sought out ice time while I was actively serving in the Army as well as over the years where I hopped around the country after leaving military service. I am in my early 30s and recently decided to go back to trying to get a coach and compete.
As I stated before, I am currently using my Riedell Bronzes & Coronation Ace blades but have noticed since I started practicing harder that they're pretty broke down. The blade rockers are in poor condition, causing both spins/MITF to be more challenging. I no longer trust my boots to land anything more advanced than my singles - and even then sometimes they're unstable and spook me when my ankles don't have the support they should. It's gotten to the point that I have deemed my current skates unsafe to do more than MITF and some spins.

I have done my research and have decided that I'd like to move to Edea Pianos or Ice Fly's with Gold Seal or Pattern 99 Blades, and would like some opinions towards this move from those that have used these model of boots/blade. I am mostly interested in the stiffness of the boot and the shock absorption built in for Pianos.
Here are some things to keep in mind:

-I am 32 years old, 5'10", and weigh about 160lbs.
-I have been landing all of my singles for over 20 years now. Doubles are shaky due to the current state of my skates.
-I am a very fast and strong skater.
-I am used to an aggressive rocker from my inline blades.
-I currently own a newer pair of Riedell boots and completely hate them.
-My skill level is consistent with Adult Silver freestyle
-I will be going to a skate technician for fitting towards the end of January/Mid February
Hi and welcome! My first question is going to be what is the shape of your feet (look this up) and do you have v. high/high/reg/low/no arches?
Also, have you ever tried on Edea? Because it's a love/hate kind of boot brand---one either loves or hates how they fit, that is if their foot is even shaped to fit the brand in general. The ankles don't fit like the traditional boot you have been used to for many years.
Also, if Edea does work for your foot style and you end up liking the fit, I would not go to a boot higher than Concerto for you. They will be more than enough stiff.
Also, bear with me here: You said you are used to an "aggressive rocker from your inline blades" but I'm going to tell you that the rockers on the advanced figure skating (ice) blades are a different story. Also, Pattern 99 (which I wear) is quite different in several ways from Gold Seal.
Also, you may want to consider MK Gold Star as another blade.

Good luck! :)