The Legacy of Michelle Kwan | Golden Skate

The Legacy of Michelle Kwan

christinaskater

Medalist
She is the reason i fell in love with Figure skating and I still love her dearly!

I've been watching all her videos where she won 5 world titles, 9 US titles and 2 Olympic Medals!

She is simply astounding!

MKFSfan

Medalist
Same here. While I had watched Figure Skating for as long as I can remember, before 1994, I could barely tell you who was who, or even knew the difference between a ina baur and a lutz. For me, it started to change with Tonya Harding, I began following FS a little closer, but when the whole Whack incident occurred, I was almost completely turned off. But thanks to a little girl with a beautiful 2 axle that she held out forever, the humble background and the most amazingly positive attitude, I became hooked. :bow:

As much as I would love to see Michelle compete again, I can cherish the many, many wonderful performances she has given-both competitively and in exhibitions-and I truly believe her legacy will live on.

kalle

On the Ice
I fell in love with figure skating after watching Kwan worlds debut in 94, so young and light on the ice!I thought she should have gotten a medal after her fantastic 7 triples skate at worlds the following year but she needed to wait for another year and what a skate!Her Salome program was just amazing!
She has delivered over and over and I feel so lucky to have seen so many memorable programs by her and I still have hopes that she is "secretly" training very hard to see if she could be competetive again. I beleive she still wants to compete and I am sure she does not feel that the age is against her, she looks very fit and she said she has all her jumps back, did she not? I see this as serious try for another go..Whatever she decides, I am rooting for tke "Kween" , she will always be an icon for me :clap:

I had no idea that Kwan and Kirk were close friends.

In analyzing the possibility of a return to figure skating competition she would have to skate and medal at Pacific Coast Sectionals. They have some pretty good Ladies out there to give her some competition.

If she earns a medal at those Sectionals, she will then be elligible for US Nats. To medal gold or silver at Nats, she will be up againt: Caroline, Rachael, Kimmie, Alissa, Ashley, Mirai all of whom will want either that gold or silver medal.

There is also Sasha who could be among the US Nats hopefuls. However, I am wondering since she is skating GPs and if she does not make the Finals, will that give her reason to WD from the Nats? and hence the Olys? If not, she will be there at US Nats as less than a front runner.

That's a lot of speculation on my part, but then I never gave either one of them my blessing to return to USFS skating.

seniorita

Record Breaker
my fav program of all time of Michelle is Tosca and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns
I can watch it a thousand times per day and more!Her dress, music cuts , her skate and the audience and the end of the program, I adore salome also as second fav but this program she did is out of this world. And I find tosca skated by a lady mesmerizing.
i like the commentary but if someone has it without commentary just to enjoy it, i would be grateful

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
There is also Sasha who could be among the US Nats hopefuls. However, I am wondering since she is skating GPs and if she does not make the Finals, will that give her reason to WD from the Nats? and hence the Olys? If not, she will be there at US Nats as less than a front runner.

That's a lot of speculation on my part, but then I never gave either one of them my blessing to return to USFS skating.

All good speculation - but I wonder why Sasha needs to give even 5 seconds thought about GP final? I suspect if she qualified she would find a way to get out of it. It is of absolutely no importance to her and the title itself is quite insignificant to all but a few fanatical types of skating fans.
It would make no more sense for Sasha to be at GPF this year than it would to be at 4CC.
All Sasha needs is either a good showing at TEB or SA and she will have enough momentum for US Natls. GPF could take away much more necessary training time and/or rest and seems like a very bad strategy - not only for Sasha but for any of the older skaters to be there in an Olympic year.
Johnny is another one who needs a GPF appearance like he needs a pulled groin muscle. His stamina does not seem to be the best and he would be better off home training and /or resting.
Olympic medals are immortal in skating. Nationals is the ticket to the Olympics. GP series is a little money making beauty pageant for ISU.
Just my thoughts on this. I really don't understand why you always act like GPF is such an important event? Why would any of the older skaters jeopardize their chances in Vancouver to skate at GPF?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder why Sasha needs to give even 5 seconds thought about GP final? I suspect if she qualified she would find a way to get out of it. It is of absolutely no importance to her and the title itself is quite insignificant to all but a few fanatical types of skating fans.

well, by requesting two GP events, she opened herself to the possibility that she might qualify for the GPF, so no excuses there. I take it if she wanted to avoid the Final, she would have done only one event (and I think that's the way it'll turn out, anyway- if she doesn't quit both)

janetfan

Match Penalty
well, by requesting two GP events, she opened herself to the possibility that she might qualify for the GPF, so no excuses there. I take it if she wanted to avoid the Final, she would have done only one event (and I think that's the way it'll turn out, anyway- if she doesn't quit both)

Maybe she won't come back at all - but if she does, she always said she wanted two GP events to prepare herself for Nationals. I doubt she wanted three since she said in her own words she wanted two. Now tell me, is it really that hard to have a "sore" ankle or knee and to call in sick for the GPF?
Maybe Sasha will be feeling great and healthy and if she qualifies for the final she will want to go. I think it makes more sense for her to do two events, rest and practice for Natls.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Plus, winning a medal at the Grand Prix Final is going to get her some valuable points and will perhaps raise her World Standing significantly. And don't forget the impression a medal at the Grand Prix Final will make on the judges at Nationals.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plus, winning a medal at the Grand Prix Final is going to get her some valuable points and will perhaps raise her World Standing significantly. And don't forget the impression a medal at the Grand Prix Final will make on the judges at Nationals.

True . especially for younger skaters. But Sasha already has a GPF medal. And an Olympic medal. She is not new, and if she is skating well she won't need any extra favors - they will already be there. There will be a certain pressure to put Sasha on the Olympic team if she is skating well. I dont think she needs or cares about "extra points" as she will undoubtably retire again after this season.
But I am just specualting - you could be right. Joe could be right. Maybe Sasha is returning to competitions and hoping for another GPF Gold medal.
Or maybe she is only concerend with getting onto the US Natl team and competing for another Olympic medal.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Even just skating at GPF gives you few hundred ranking points. Remember starting order at any ISU event is decided by ranking points, and we've seen some significant correlation between the starting order and pcs.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Even just skating at GPF gives you few hundred ranking points. Remember starting order at any ISU event is decided by ranking points, and we've seen some significant correlation between the starting order and pcs.
That was actually what I wanted to say - but then I was not so sure anymore that the starting order at the Olympics is done like the starting order at ordinary ISU events. Did not Plushenko start second in Torino?

evangeline

Record Breaker
I had no idea that Kwan and Kirk were close friends.

In analyzing the possibility of a return to figure skating competition she would have to skate and medal at Pacific Coast Sectionals. They have some pretty good Ladies out there to give her some competition.

If she earns a medal at those Sectionals, she will then be elligible for US Nats. To medal gold or silver at Nats, she will be up againt: Caroline, Rachael, Kimmie, Alissa, Ashley, Mirai all of whom will want either that gold or silver medal.

Sasha is a different case, but I think for Michelle, if she decides to come back (and I don't think she will), it'll be more like Katarina Witt coming back in 1994: not necessarily to win another gold medal, but coming back for personal reasons, whether for the love of skating and competition, or (in Katarina's case) wanting to make it to the Olympics so her parents could see her skate in person. I think Michelle, more than all of us, knows what she's currently capable of and what's she up against.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

What if a skater qualifies for GPF - but withdraws due to injury. Do they still get the points for qualifying - or do those points get awarded to a skater who fills that spot?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What if a skater qualifies for GPF - but withdraws due to injury. Do they still get the points for qualifying - or do those points get awarded to a skater who fills that spot?
Skaters don't get points for qualifying for the GPF, only for what they do there. All the skaters who had to WD at the 2008-9 GPF received no points for that event.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Skaters don't get points for qualifying for the GPF, only for what they do there. All the skaters who had to WD at the 2008-9 GPF received no points for that event.

Thanks for your answer. It feels like GPF is awarding points just to get skaters to show up.
Is this sport - or a beauty pageant? :p

Wrlmy

Medalist
That was actually what I wanted to say - but then I was not so sure anymore that the starting order at the Olympics is done like the starting order at ordinary ISU events. Did not Plushenko start second in Torino?

Hmm..not too sure. But I do remember that Irina, Shizuka, Sasha, and Fumie all skated in the final group for the shorts.

R.D.

Record Breaker

But the question then becomes, does she care about her World Ranking, or showing up at the Olympics for her "moment"?

But this talk is irrelevant until we know that she is physically up for the challenge. And to tie it in with MK, she's in the same boat, too. Wanting it or willingness to work hard isn't enough. If the body is not up to it, it's over. MK knows this first hand and Cohen might find that out herself.