How to figure out which two judges were eliminated in the random draw | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How to figure out which two judges were eliminated in the random draw

nylynnr

On the Ice
Regarding the French judge in the men's event at Skate America, the unofficial story (completely unconfirmed) going around Lake Placid was that a mistake had been made with the flight booking of a judge in the ladies' event; her plane was leaving too early for her to judge the ladies. Therefore, the French judge was asked to judge ladies, instead of men. However, the French judge did not like this suggestion.

Thanks for the scuttlebutt. So did the French judge get to do the men, or did he/she just leave in a huff?

gsrossano

Final Flight
And the follow up to those rumors, as they were reported in France (but still just rumors), was that when the judge and the men's referee got into an amimated discussion of the assignments, the referee decided the judge was not in the right mindset to judge and removed her from the panel.

nylynnr

On the Ice
And the follow up to those rumors, as they were reported in France (but still just rumors), was that when the judge and the men's referee got into an amimated discussion of the assignments, the referee decided the judge was not in the right mindset to judge and removed her from the panel.

I was trying to leave the juicy part out:)

But yes, I heard it got quite animated.

Actually, I can see it from the French judge's perspective, too. If she came to Skate America expecting to judge the men's events, she probably spent some time preparing, looking over the jump lists, etc. Then to be thrown into the ladies competition on the spur of the moment, it might not be so easy to shift gears.

Especially if the problem was that some other judge had booked his/her plane wrong. (What does that have to do with moi? :laugh: )

gsrossano

Final Flight
Actually, I can see it from the French judge's perspective, too. If she came to Skate America expecting to judge the men's events, she probably spent some time preparing, looking over the jump lists, etc. Then to be thrown into the ladies competition on the spur of the moment, it might not be so easy to shift gears.

:rofl:

A better explanation might be prima donna.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I thought random selection of scores was supposed to happen on every single element and component mark. :confused:

gsrossano

Final Flight
I thought random selection of scores was supposed to happen on every single element and component mark. :confused:

Nope.

The idea is that if you randomly throw out ALL the marks from some of the judges, judges will be less inclined to cheat because the knowledge their marks might be thrown out would take away their motivation to cheat. Or you might have made deal with someone whose marks did not count so there is no point in making the deal. (I think this logic is flawed, but that's the logic.)

If you throw out random marks for each element and PC, then some of the marks will count for every judge, so every judge knows that if they cheat some of their marks will count.

As GsRossano says above, the computerized random draw takes place first. Then all of those two judges' marks are disregarded throughout the segment, for all skaters.

I think it would have to be this way. Otherwise a skater really could win or lose just by luck. If they happened to thrown out that +2 I got on my double Axel, while my opponent got rid of a -2 on his combination spin, that would be a big problem.

This way, you can just think of it like this. It looks like the contest is being judged by nine judges, but really there are only seven judges sitting there. The other two are an optical illusion.

Last edited:
The idea is that if you randomly throw out ALL the marks from some of the judges, judges will be less inclined to cheat because the knowledge their marks might be thrown out would take away their motivation to cheat. Or you might have made deal with someone whose marks did not count so there is no point in making the deal. (I think this logic is flawed, but that's the logic.)

:think: ... :rofl:

OK, but seriously. So is the logic that if I bribe you to vote my way, then I should offer you only 7/9ths as much of a bribe, to cover the possibilty that your scores might be thrown out?

I had always thought that somehow the ISU figured that the random draw would help protect the anomimity of the judges, because even if you could figure out which judge was which, you still couldn't tell if...

OK, that doesn't make sense either. :)