KANAKO MURAKAMI : The Young Polished Gem | Golden Skate

KANAKO MURAKAMI : The Young Polished Gem

DesertRoad

Final Flight
She's not particularly polished. In fact, she is bursting with a lot of uncontrolled energy, resulting in a wonky upright spin and then that awkward fall on the footwork in the video you linked. She needs to work on containing herself, knowing when and where to let the energy out to her advantage. Other than that, she is an extremely promising skater, with great spins, strong jumps and the speed that judges love to see.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I agree! She's so great and cute. She's won all her junior events this season and came in 5th at senior nationals which is pretty good considering the competition she was up against! Can't wait to see her on the senior GP next year :agree:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
She's not particularly polished. In fact, she is bursting with a lot of uncontrolled energy, resulting in a wonky upright spin and then that awkward fall on the footwork in the video you linked. She needs to work on containing herself, knowing when and where to let the energy out to her advantage. Other than that, she is an extremely promising skater, with great spins, strong jumps and the speed that judges love to see.

I agree with this. She's not that polished....yet. She does have a good sense of style and presentation, though, and especially for a 15-year old. I think besides getting her considerable energy under control, she does have some technical issues that she should work on fixing before the next season begins. Like the flutz (for which she got the big "e" in the JGPF final) and that weird and unattractive little bend she does with the free leg, prior to going into many of her jumps. At 15, I suppose puberty/most of her height growth is past her, so hopefully she won't have that to contend with. She is fun to watch, and next year should be in the thick of Japanese senior ladies and come into her own, particularly with the retirement of some of the current Sr J ladies after this season.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Murakami looks very athletic and like a natural performer.

The polish will come with more training and experience.
I think she is a great looking young skater and found her enthusiastic performances at Natls very enjoyable.

She appears to be one of the next big stars who will emerge after this Olympic season and I look forward to seeing her skate again at Jr Wolrds.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I find her so refreshing to watch! Love the speed, presentation, and personality. Great technical elements and skating skills overall. But I agree that she has some issues in her jumps. Flutz and also mule kick. The mule kick may not be as bad as that of Caroline but still noticeable. I greatly respect Machiko Yamada, but she may not be the one who teaches textbook techniques. Mao, Mai, Uno Shoma, and Yukari all have had some issues one way or another.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I find her so refreshing to watch! Love the speed, presentation, and personality. Great technical elements and skating skills overall. But I agree that she has some issues in her jumps. Flutz and also mule kick. The mule kick may not be as bad as that of Caroline but still noticeable. I greatly respect Machiko Yamada, but she may not be the one who teaches textbook techniques. Mao, Mai, Uno Shoma, and Yukari all have had some issues one way or another.

I totally agree with you on this. So many of her students (current & former) seem to struggle with their jumps.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Murakami looks very athletic and like a natural performer.

The polish will come with more training and experience.
I think she is a great looking young skater and found her enthusiastic performances at Natls very enjoyable.

She appears to be one of the next big stars who will emerge after this Olympic season and I look forward to seeing her skate again at Jr Wolrds.

ITA.

Also she is one of the best dressed skaters. It's just nice to see her beautiful and elegant costumes after seeing the travesty that is...*coughcoughcough*

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ITA.

Also she is one of the best dressed skaters. It's just nice to see her beautiful and elegant costumes after seeing the travesty that is...*coughcoughcough*

:laugh:. Yes it is. I really don't like Polina Shelepen's LP costume it's kind of gaudy and tacky. Kanako is cute and a very good skater. She kind of reminds me of Mirai with her speed and enthusiasm.

figurejennah

On the Ice
Murakami is really talented and cute, but she is like mini mao. She has jump issues, and if she doesn't fix them quick, she will face some serious problems like mao did.

miki88

Medalist
I think she's a cute skater too, but not in the same way as Mao. I feel Kanako is more playful than Mao. But her skating is not at the level as Mao's when she was her Kanako's age. Didn't Mao already compete at the Senior level at 15? Maybe Kanako will peak later, which may be better.

Mafke

Medalist
She has some nice qaulities, good speed and a kind of liquidness to her arm movements, but what I notice more than anything else is that she doesn't seem to have any core strength.

She gets through the jumps by building up torque in her extemities (that free leg bend, some weird stuff she does with her arms). This is just the kind of technique that lets the skater down as they get older (see Nagasu, Zhange etc etc etc).

She needs some core strength training ASAP!!!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
She has some nice qaulities, good speed and a kind of liquidness to her arm movements, but what I notice more than anything else is that she doesn't seem to have any core strength.

She gets through the jumps by building up torque in her extemities (that free leg bend, some weird stuff she does with her arms). This is just the kind of technique that lets the skater down as they get older (see Nagasu, Zhange etc etc etc).

She needs some core strength training ASAP!!!!

I am sure you are probably right. I think I read that Kanako just turned 15. That means she is still young and will possibly grow more. So there are several factors to consider.

As far as her performance at Natls - I thought she was terrific for such a young skater and despite some criticism I am reading here - I hope and suspect she will become a star after this Olympic season.

Sometimes I wonder about how much we expect from these young skaters.
She showed me enough to become her fan - and I think the skating world needs more like her. She showed me good athleticism, good skating skills, exceptional charisma and a wonderful heart.

What more do we need from one who just turned 15?

adamlondon

On the Ice
she looks like she can develop quite far because she has got height in her jumps and not just small teeny ones. having said that we have seen umpteen skaters grow a couple of inches and fall apart.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
she looks like she can develop quite far because she has got height in her jumps and not just small teeny ones. having said that we have seen umpteen skaters grow a couple of inches and fall apart.

Yeah, but maybe it's too soon to say. Mirai grew more than a couple inches (about 9-10 in three years!) and she's on the comeback trail and has been looking very strong recently. Caroline too I'm not convinced is done, I feel like she's not one to just give up. Mao's issues I don't think were because of growing, she's been the same size since 2006 and yet her problems just started recently (I actually think it's mostly coaching confusion).

rossdale

Match Penalty
She has some potential

She is pretty and very attractive.

Strengths
(1) Her speed on ice is very fast
(2) Elengance
(3) She is very cute

Weakness
(1) 3 Lz - she needs to fix long edge to be top skaters in senior level
(2) Musicality/artistry.