Bunny Hop and Waltz Jump -- what age? | Golden Skate

Bunny Hop and Waltz Jump -- what age?

OK, so here are two videos by adult coaches showing how to do these elements.

To me, these are not trivial accomplishments! (Caveat: My own skating career stalled out at the level of standing up on skates withpout clinging to the boards.) My question is, at what age are skills of this sort possible? Can a six-year-old master these elements if he or she has natual talent and starts skating as a pre-schooler?

icewhite

Record Breaker

To me, these are not trivial accomplishments! (Caveat: My own skating career stalled out at the level of standing up on skates withpout clinging to the boards.) My question is, at what age are skills of this sort possible? Can a six-year-old master these elements if he or she has natual talent and starts skating as a pre-schooler?

3 year olds can definitely do bunny hops if they are talented, waltz jumps... I don't know, maybe at 4? For a six year old that's not a problem.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

These are basic learn to skate moves. I learned them at age 2.:D

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

I started skating at the late age of 5-almost-6 :biggrin:. However, I'd been roller skating on the nearby school basketball court for a few years and was taking "Tumbling for Tots" and Highland dancing also from about 3 or 4. I'd skated for the first time at a friend's 6th birthday party and did choppy stroking there without falling down. My second time on the ice was for my first skating lesson (private coaching) and consisted of improving my stroking, spinning on two feet, and learning the bunny hop. I think the waltz jump was my second lesson. I only skated once a week that first year, but by the end of the first season I was doing a Salchow, loop, and an Axel, and camel and sit spins. So yes, it's quite possible as a 6-year-old even if they didn't start skating as a preschooler. Little kids are much closer to the ice and (usually) not afraid to try the big-kid stuff and fall :D.

I'd skated for the first time at a friend's 6th birthday party...

I once read about Maia and Alex Shibutani (I don't know if this is actualy true) that they got their start in skating when they were invited to a friend's skating birthday party (age 4 and 7). They were embarrassed because they were the only children who did not know how to skate, so they went home and begged their parents to give them skating lessons. :)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I personally abhor bunny hops, but I believe even for adults they're taught in the first few levels. It's not a question of age, but of skill. We all move at our own pace.