I miss Mao.. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I miss Mao..

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's interesting because prior to this season I actually thought Liebenstraum by Liszt would be absolutely PERFECT for Mao. I don't like this new dramatic music. It doesn't accentuate her strengths, and that won't enhance her points.

Yeah, I agree. I like Mao skating to the Major tone. Although some of TAT's programs for Mao are beautiful, they are mostly in Minor, melancholic and dramatic. Mao seems happy by nature so that happy music more naturally becomes her. Gala programs are nice because they are light and happy.

Still, I think that heavy, bombastic music is "Olympic gold medal music," as opposed to tripping the light fantastic. I can see why Mao wanted to give it a try this year.

Oscilla

On the Ice
^They narrowed down the choices to Rachmaninoff and Lizst. I think TAT wanted her to go with Lizst but Mao said it's too soft and chose Bells.

That's not 100% true, actually.

TAT allowed Mao to chose between two pieces Bells and "a soft Liszt piece", probably Liebenstraum. Mao chose Liebenstraum. But, as they went through the choreo, TAT said that it's too soft. Mao initially disliked Bells and said that it's too "dull" and difficult to skate to. But eventually she agreed and said that she grew to appreciate the music's rhythm and the feeling of "something bubbling from the underground".

Mao also chose Caprice for her SP, but TAT said it's better as an EX. Mao initially didn't want to use the same music 2 seasons in a row, but agreed when she heard the flute version. (For some reason that was not given, Mao never actually skated to the flute version).

It needs to be said that TAT believed that the programs need to be changed if they won't work. After TEB Mao said that she'll change the programs when she feels like it, like she did with Yagudin before Worlds. But TAT got a surprise after Rostelecom Cup - Mao refused to change her programs. Later, before NatIonals, she said that she can't change her programs because memorizing the choreo takes too much time; she spent weeks polishing the programs and "there's no coming back now". And actually I agree - Mao probably needs every free moment to work on jumps, because even the most beautiful choreo won't help if she messes up half of her jumping passes.

I must say I'm quite disappointed after Nationals, though. There was so much choreo removed from LP that only the required technical elements are left... and face-slapping, which I always found silly looking in the first place. If there was enough time to modify SP (actually, the changes made in SP were very good, I think) I think the time spent on that would be better spent on changing the LP to Liebenstraum or going back to an old one. Frankly speaking, the choreo in the LP became so sparse, that it could be as well executed to different music. And, hopefully, there would be no time to go to Russia to have TAT design the costume and someone in Japan would take over the job. The current LP costume literally makes my eyes bleed. The costume used at Japan Open was much better - why Mao can't at least go back to that one..?

roma

On the Ice
^Oh... I must've mixed that up. Thanks for the info, Oscilla.

I, too, wanted to see new programs each year from Mao so I was initially disappointed that she's skating to Masquerade esp after TEB and CoR. But with the new changes I actually like it. But then it would've been even better is she skated to the flute version as it has a cheerful tone. The clips before the season started showed that they had a recording of the flute version so it was surprising she didn't use it.

Since her SP is probably ok now, I guess they'll start focusing on the LP more [I hope]. And like you I hope she uses the blue and black costume for 4CC instead of the red and black one.

Bennett

Record Breaker

TAT allowed Mao to chose between two pieces Bells and "a soft Liszt piece", probably Liebenstraum. Mao chose Liebenstraum. But, as they went through the choreo, TAT said that it's too soft. Mao initially disliked Bells and said that it's too "dull" and difficult to skate to. But eventually she agreed and said that she grew to appreciate the music's rhythm and the feeling of "something bubbling from the underground".

Mao also chose Caprice for her SP, but TAT said it's better as an EX. Mao initially didn't want to use the same music 2 seasons in a row, but agreed when she heard the flute version. (For some reason that was not given, Mao never actually skated to the flute version).

It needs to be said that TAT believed that the programs need to be changed if they won't work. After TEB Mao said that she'll change the programs when she feels like it, like she did with Yagudin before Worlds. But TAT got a surprise after Rostelecom Cup - Mao refused to change her programs. Later, before NatIonals, she said that she can't change her programs because memorizing the choreo takes too much time; she spent weeks polishing the programs and "there's no coming back now". And actually I agree - Mao probably needs every free moment to work on jumps, because even the most beautiful choreo won't help if she messes up half of her jumping passes.

I must say I'm quite disappointed after Nationals, though. There was so much choreo removed from LP that only the required technical elements are left... and face-slapping, which I always found silly looking in the first place. If there was enough time to modify SP (actually, the changes made in SP were very good, I think) I think the time spent on that would be better spent on changing the LP to Liebenstraum or going back to an old one. Frankly speaking, the choreo in the LP became so sparse, that it could be as well executed to different music. And, hopefully, there would be no time to go to Russia to have TAT design the costume and someone in Japan would take over the job. The current LP costume literally makes my eyes bleed. The costume used at Japan Open was much better - why Mao can't at least go back to that one..?

It's too late to change it now. It would be as disastrous as Miki four years ago if she does now. I also don't think that either Mao or TAT would want to change after the success at Nationals.

I did not like the blue and black costume, either. The current one is bad but still a little better in that it has red.

Anyway, I hope that Mao changes her coach after this season. TAT seems a great coach but she does not seem the one for her both in style and in location. Have they seen each other since CoR? I wish Mao used TAT just as a choreographer. It seems like TAT and Mao have spent time together a lot less than David Wilson and Yuna have. It wouldn't be an offense if Mao brings another coach in.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's too late to change it now. It would be as disastrous as Miki four years ago if she does now. I also don't think that either Mao or TAT would want to change after the success at Nationals.

I did not like the blue and black costume, either. The current one is bad but still a little better in that it has red.

Anyway, I hope that Mao changes her coach after this season. TAT seems a great coach but she does not seem the one for her both in style and in location. Have they seen each other since CoR? I wish Mao used TAT just as a choreographer. It seems like TAT and Mao have spent time together a lot less than David Wilson and Yuna have. It wouldn't be an offense if Mao brings another coach in.

Mao is not leaving Japan though, so I doubt she will go back to Artunian. She has TAT as a coach now because TAT is willing to coach her part time. Mao's new coach must be in Japan, and I don't know who the good coaches in Japan are.

yuriyuri

Rinkside
i like mao's red dress better than the one she wore at japan open.

Bells of moscow is not pretty music. It's powerful and moving. Red, grey and black is good combination.

The design around neck area is a bit too much but because of Mao's bodytype she looks good in anything.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
The irony surfaces when you look at the favorite programs thread :cool: The favorite ladies LP is Mao's, despite early criticism of its incompatibility with the skater. I guess that just means that putting all stylistic differences aside, graceful, beautiful Mao the skater is still there, touching us with her amazingly light skating and fighting spirit. I once thought Mao was stubborn and foolish to insist on three 3As in her programs, but I now respect her for her strong will, regardless of what I think of her chances at perfect programs. She is a remarkable skater, who (along with Kim) is filling the void in my heart after MK retired. Mao said she will stay for Sochi '14 and I hope she keeps her promise, barring injuries and other disasters. People say she's in decline, but that's what they think. I'll give that her jumps aren't what they used to be, but I have no doubt that she'll get them into shape in a year or two.

My two cents on the topic: I think this light Mao is exactly what she wants to avoid, though. My hunch is that she just wants to be protean -- the hallmark of a skater with extraordinary talent in expression and artistry. She doesn't want people to remember her as a skater fixed to a single style -- she wants change. I also think LPs like "Bells" are what people often think are OGM-worthy programs (please correct me if I'm wrong). Something awe-striking, a tad-bit overwhelming, but masterfully performed -- something for the ages. Mao doesn't want to just win OGM. Even if it means jeopardizing her chances of standing on that podium, she wants to win with a performance people will talk about years later -- like Yagudin's "Winter" (which is also choreographed by TAT ;))

Yschntä

Rinkside

That's actually quite interesting... I didn't know this. But I would die to see Mao skating on Liebestraum! It also sounds like Mao now just does what TAT says... Her decision was to skate on Liszt. I don't like the expression "But eventually she agreed..." I can also understand why she didn't want to change the program after TEB, she just never skated this program approximately clean and wanted to show people that she can do that. And she proved that she can, but I would want to see an other program from her at the Olympics...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That's actually quite interesting... I didn't know this. But I would die to see Mao skating on Liebestraum! It also sounds like Mao now just does what TAT says... Her decision was to skate on Liszt. I don't like the expression "But eventually she agreed..." I can also understand why she didn't want to change the program after TEB, she just never skated this program approximately clean and wanted to show people that she can do that. And she proved that she can, but I would want to see an other program from her at the Olympics...

I agree, but at this point I think it's too late to do that, it might do more harm than good. I wish she'd bring back the lutz though even though she doubled it most of the time last year.

Yschntä

Rinkside
I agree, but at this point I think it's too late to do that, it might do more harm than good. I wish she'd bring back the lutz though even though she doubled it most of the time last year.

Now, It's too late, that's clear, it was just wishful thinking... Yes, the lutz... Does she land it clean in training? Since last season, I never saw one again and unfortunately, she doensn't do it in her programs...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Now, It's too late, that's clear, it was just wishful thinking... Yes, the lutz... Does she land it clean in training? Since last season, I never saw one again and unfortunately, she doensn't do it in her programs...

I think most of her training time is spent working on the 3a if I had to guess. Her flutz is pretty bad so she might have abandoned it, a 3lutz with an "e" is only worth as much a 3loop. Her 3-3s also seemed to have vanished, but now adays they are so strict with URs that it probably doesn't matter.

miki88

Medalist
Her 3-3s haven't vanished. She still does them in practice, but I guess she just wants to focus more on her 3As.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Her 3-3s haven't vanished. She still does them in practice, but I guess she just wants to focus more on her 3As.

Yeah I was referring to in her programs. She sometimes has a hammertoe though and the 3-3s she used to do were with loops which are very easily URed.

miki88

Medalist
Yeah I was referring to in her programs. She sometimes has a hammertoe though and the 3-3s she used to do were with loops which are very easily URed.

Maybe it's because of Mao's feet. I saw a Japanese show that talked about Mao's big feet. They said her feet are as big as some men :laugh: Well, maybe Japanese men have small feet :p

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe it's because of Mao's feet. I saw a Japanese show that talked about Mao's big feet. They said her feet are as big as some men :laugh: Well, maybe Japanese men have small feet :p

Her feet don't look big on TV in her skates. Her feet might be as big as Oda or Takahashi's but I've seen lots of picture of the Japan team together and Mao, Miki, Oda, and Takahashi are all the same size. Her sister Mai's feet always looked big to me though :laugh:

Another thing, Japanese media also likes to talk about how tall Mao is, which has me and many Americans scratching our heads. So if being tall means you are 5'4", then having big feet could mean she wears a size 8 (39) shoe...

Last edited:

hongligl

Final Flight
[
Another thing, Japanese media also likes to talk about how tall Mao is, which has me and many Americans scratching our heads. So if being tall means you are 5'4", then having big feet could mean she wears a size 8 (39) shoe...[/QUOTE]

I assume that would be pretty much the case. Being an Asian girl myself, I consider my feet very big and I only have size 5 and half or 6. Girls of 5'4" suppose to have feet of size 7.

miki88

Medalist
http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-you-should-care-about-mao-asada.html

I came over this interesting analysis on Mao's skating style and personality and how it's different from Yuna's. I don't agree with everything the blogger says and don't really care for her argument on how one skater is better than the other. But it was interesting to see how Mao's skating style and the choices she makes are influenced by her personality, and I think the blogger made good points in discussing this relation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link Miki88. Interesting blog, I agree with much of what the author says. I really respect Mao for trying to live beyond her potential, to make history, but I am scared for her as well.

berrycute

On the Ice
I think Lori Nichol worked well with Mao but all the programs seemed so similar. TAT brought her out of her comfort zone a bit which I actually enjoyed seeing. It would be great if she could get some balance between the comfort and originality. But I think another Chopin program would be zzzzz

Last edited: